The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

A disagreement in our FED training class tonight and I would like your opinion.

Runners at 1B and 2B, no outs, ball hit on infield. Play will be at 2B or 1B. BU has first throw, PU has lead runner to 3rd. Instructor wanted PU to go onto infield up 1B line to back up BU on play at 1B (swipe tag, pulled foot, etc.), then move across diamond to cover possible play at 3B.

I maintain that PU should not be on infield because of the possiblity of a play at home (throw would be coming from fair territory). I believe PU should move up 3B line a short distance in foul territory to where he still has a good angle to 1B. If a throw goes to 3B he can cross over into fair territory to make that call, and will be in correct position (infield side) to take the runner home should the ball get past F5.

If there is no play at 3B he can drift back to home to be in the correct position to take a play there with the ball coming from fair territory.

What say you?
WMB
Old Tue Mar 18, 2003, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

Standard mechanics have the PU trailing the batter-runner about 1/3 of the way to 1B and then moving diagonally to the 3B line, move to a holding area which will allow PU to then move back to Home for a play there. Standard mechanics cover the plays that history shows are likely to happen. Using standard mechanics all the time is one tools that allows us to work with partners that we do not necessarily know. Wanting to stay in foul territory, drifting toward 3B is not a mechanic that an experienced umpire would normally choose to use. My "vote" goes with the instructor at your clinic.

Steve M
Old Tue Mar 18, 2003, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I had to think about this one for awhile to picture what I do. I will come out from behind the catcher to the front of the plate, maybe a few feet towards first, and then when the throw is made to first, I move over towards third incase there is a throw there. If a throw comes home, I'm out of the way from first.
NIF
Old Tue Mar 18, 2003, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Standard mechanics have the PU trailing the batter-runner about 1/3 of the way to 1B and then moving diagonally to the 3B line, move to a holding area which will allow PU to then move back to Home for a play there. Standard mechanics cover the plays that history shows are likely to happen. Using standard mechanics all the time is one tools that allows us to work with partners that we do not necessarily know. Wanting to stay in foul territory, drifting toward 3B is not a mechanic that an experienced umpire would normally choose to use. My "vote" goes with the instructor at your clinic.

Steve M
Cannot speak for Fed. ASA does not have PU trailing BR with any runner starting past 1B. Let's run through the scenario as prescribed above.

Both runners off on contact. First throw to 2B for one out then to 1B for second out. Meanwhile, R1 doesn't hesitate at 3B and is heading home. If PU trailed BR then came across to cover 3B, to follow R1, s/he must siddle back toward HP, but if not careful, they can walk right into the play with their back to the throw. Same scenario, but this time F4 sees the R1 rounding 3B and doesn't go to 1B, but home. Now PU is right in the middle of the play.

Point here is that the PU is "inside" on an inside play and that is not the place to be. I would instruct the PU to go to a holding zone not quite halfway up 3B line in foul ground. That covers 3B & home.

I'm basing this on the assumpation that when Steve notes the umpire should move diagonally across to a holding zone near 3B, he does not mean crossing the runner's basepath to get to foul ground. If so, that may be another problem you may run into. Some umpires can make that move, others cannot without possibly getting in the way of the runner or catcher.

Old Tue Mar 18, 2003, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Mike provided the key sentence here: “ASA does not have PU trailing BR with any runner starting past 1B.” Using that, I went through the FED Umpire Manual this morning and found the references I wanted.

The FED Manual states that the PU trails the BR to 1B with no runners on, or a runner on 1B only. Elsewhere it states that, with runners in scoring position, the PU stays in foul territory.

So – when the ball is on the infield and you have no runner past 1B, the PU follows the BR to 1B then moves diagonally across the field to cover a play at 3B.

If you start with runners on 2B and/or on 3B, as Mike noted, the PU moves to holding position in foul territory towards 3B. If you have a play at 3B, the PU crosses the foul line to take the call in fair territory. If you do not have a play at 3B, you move back to home, in foul territory, for a call at the plate.
WMB