The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   4 Man Mechanics - Pressure @2nd base (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54129-4-man-mechanics-pressure-2nd-base.html)

ozzy6900 Mon Jul 27, 2009 06:27pm

4 Man Mechanics - Pressure @2nd base

Curious as to how this is handled in different parts of the Country.
  • 4 man crew
  • Bases loaded
  • Infield playing on the grass (in)
My curiosity came about when I saw this situation with all runners in a deep secondary. The umpire looked as if he were trapped in front of 2nd base with no where to go. The batter smashed a shot for a base clearing home run, so I never got to see what the situation would come to.

I believe that I would choose the old mechanic of slipping out between F4 & 2nd base and position myself on the dirt. This would keep me out of the "mix".

Like I said, I just want to know how you guys deal with this situation.

UmpTTS43 Mon Jul 27, 2009 06:36pm

With the infielders in on the grass, I will take a "deep B or C" position behind the infielders. Normally I am in the "deep B or C" position with bases loaded anyways, but I may have to play deeper with the infielders in. One of the adjustments a crew must make with this situation is catch/no-catch to the infielders, especially on a line drive below the knees. With the ball more than likely going home when hit to an infielder, I will have time to come in and adjust for any subsequent play.

briancurtin Mon Jul 27, 2009 06:39pm

I had this situation twice last night in a 4-man. I was in the base path like what you described...super deep B. If F4 goes up the middle, I'm behind him and can take a quick step to my left to clear him, then get into the working area once he goes for the ball.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jul 27, 2009 07:06pm

Super Deep C is sometimes referred to as position F. They use F in TASO mechanics, for example.

E is U2's position in the outfield with no runners, and F is an optional position which is straight back from C, and toward the outfield side of the dirt about the same distance from 2nd base.

Rich Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 617232)
Curious as to how this is handled in different parts of the Country.
  • 4 man crew
  • Bases loaded
  • Infield playing on the grass (in)
My curiosity came about when I saw this situation with all runners in a deep secondary. The umpire looked as if he were trapped in front of 2nd base with no where to go. The batter smashed a shot for a base clearing home run, so I never got to see what the situation would come to.

I believe that I would choose the old mechanic of slipping out between F4 & 2nd base and position myself on the dirt. This would keep me out of the "mix".

Like I said, I just want to know how you guys deal with this situation.

The ML umpires manual puts the umpire behind the fielders in this situation in 4-man.

ozzy6900 Tue Jul 28, 2009 07:04pm

Thank you gentlemen for answering. It seems that we agree to get off the grass in this situation and that is what I was looking for.

TussAgee11 Tue Jul 28, 2009 07:45pm

the deep deep C position is taught by schools but there is leeway to move yourself to deep deep B if players ask you to move (because you are in the way, which you probably already realize at that point)

briancurtin Tue Jul 28, 2009 08:33pm

CCA has U2 in deep B with the bases loaded.
I don't see how any C-based positions could work well with the bases loaded and the infield in. You are proably in the way of either F6 or R2, take your pick. In a deep deep B, you are behind F4 with no one else to worry about.

cc6 Tue Jul 28, 2009 08:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 617237)
I had this situation twice last night in a 4-man. I was in the base path like what you described...super deep B. If F4 goes up the middle, I'm behind him and can take a quick step to my left to clear him, then get into the working area once he goes for the ball.

Will you have time to get into the working area if you were just in the basepath?

briancurtin Tue Jul 28, 2009 08:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 617572)
Will you have time to get into the working area if you were just in the basepath?

Absolutely.

cc6 Tue Jul 28, 2009 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 617573)
Absolutely.

After an overthrow/base hit, or right after the second baseman throws?

MrUmpire Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 617574)
After an overthrow/base hit, or right after the second baseman throws?

You do realize we are talking 4 man mechanics, right?

cc6 Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 617596)
You do realize we are talking 4 man mechanics, right?

Yes. I still don't know how you can go from behind the baseline to behind the mound after he "goes for the ball". Is the working area different in 4 man?

MrUmpire Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 617615)
Yes. I still don't know how you can go from behind the baseline to behind the mound after he "goes for the ball". Is the working area different in 4 man?

Let's think about this for a second. What are U2's responsibilites with bases loaded and a batted ball to F4?

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 617615)

Why does U2 need to go behind the mound in this situation? His play is at 2nd base.