The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

3-man mechanics questions

1. R3 only. Does U3 take the B/R to 2B on a clean base hit, or does U1 come inside and pivot and take the B/R to second? (This is when it is obvious that R3 is going to score)

2. No runners on. U1 goes out on a fly ball down the RF line. U3 comes to the middle for a play at 2B. Does the PU move up to 1B for a play behind the B/R at 1B?

3. No runners on. Does the PU only rotate to 3B when U3 goes out for a catch/no catch?
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 03:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
1. R3 only. Does U3 take the B/R to 2B on a clean base hit, or does U1 come inside and pivot and take the B/R to second? (This is when it is obvious that R3 is going to score)

2. No runners on. U1 goes out on a fly ball down the RF line. U3 comes to the middle for a play at 2B. Does the PU move up to 1B for a play behind the B/R at 1B?

3. No runners on. Does the PU only rotate to 3B when U3 goes out for a catch/no catch?
1. U3 takes the BR to second.

2. Yes.

3. No. Matter of fact, the only time with no runners that the PU has a play at third is if no umpire goes out. U3 comes to second, PU comes to third, U1 rotates down to the plate. Otherwise, revert to 2-man and the base umpire remaining takes the BR into third (just like 2-man).
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2. Yes.

3. No. Matter of fact, the only time with no runners that the PU has a play at third is if no umpire goes out. U3 comes to second, PU comes to third, U1 rotates down to the plate. Otherwise, revert to 2-man and the base umpire remaining takes the BR into third (just like 2-man).
I think you only use those rotations when you umpire games in England!!
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

2. Yes.

These are straight from CCA manual.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
These are straight from CCA manual.
The English version.

Had to ask!!
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post

If U3 does not go out for a catch/no-catch, he will always go into the field and have BR at second, and possibly third. U3 will never have tag up responsibility for R3 when there is R3 only, as well as R1 and R3, bases loaded.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Seconded on the CCA quote. Best 20 bucks you'll ever spend on a manual!
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Seconded on the CCA quote. Best 20 bucks you'll ever spend on a manual!
I have a free one waiting for me. I need to go pick it up.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 02:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman View Post
I think you only use those rotations when you umpire games in England!!
Heh. Yes, I'm still in England. It's been 15 days since I was home. I umpired 14 games in the 3-umpire system last week in the Netherlands and 8 the previous weekend in Florida, so I think I'm more adept at 3-man now than 2-man. It's really a great system and the CCA mechanics are fantastic. The part I like best (with good baseball) is not sending someone out on routine fly balls -- it keeps 3 umpires in the infield and doesn't turn every fly ball into 2-man.

Fortunately for me my season has 5 games left and then I can put away the gear and work football. I'll miss baseball, but I'm a 3-sport official and I don't normally mix the seasons.

Oh, Chris, you'll be glad to know that the plate shoes I bought from you ended up being a gift to a Dutch umpire who hosted me in his home for a week. I find them the most comfortable shoes that I've ever owned, but he needed a new pair of plate shoes and coincidentally, we have the same size foot. Also, the Reeboks don't clean up as well as I'd like and I'm hoping that there's a newer version next year that doesn't use the suede-like material on the side panels. Since I also have a new pair of Honig's plates and I only have 2 plate jobs left, I'll be OK. I also sold my low profile titanium mask to someone for 100 euro -- next season or when they're put on sale (if ever) I'll buy a regular profile one. Love the mask - hate the low profile. Also gave an umpire my WV Gold. I got 3 years use from it and only paid $100 for it. So I'll be in the market for a new protector, too. At least my luggage came in under the weight limit.

Last edited by Rich; Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 02:17am.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

.....or he got mugged by an umpiring street gang and is trying to cover it up. Whichever.