The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

2 Mechanics Questions

1) On uncaught third strikes, what is the proper mechanic? What does Evans teach?

2) Are pro schools still teaching the pivot when coming into the infield from the "A" position? If so, what is the proper footwork? If not, what is being taught and what is the proper footwork for that?

Thanks!
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

1. Hammer the strike, followed by safe sign & verbal "No catch".

2. Pivot is still taught
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

To avoid confusion with strike/out hammer, I believe PBUC teaches to point the strike, then signal safe and verbalize "no catch". Hammer the out if a tag is made.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 01:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Is there a proper mechanic, or just opinions about that that mechanic is? I have never heard of a universal mechanic because so many umpires do different things.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
To avoid confusion with strike/out hammer, I believe PBUC teaches to point the strike, then signal safe and verbalize "no catch". Hammer the out if a tag is made.
Ah, but asked about Evans specifically ....

I agree though, the point is a better mechanic in this case.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Is there a proper mechanic, or just opinions about that that mechanic is? I have never heard of a universal mechanic because so many umpires do different things.

Peace
If you require "proper" to equal "universal" there are very few proper mechanics. Socalblue1 described what is taught at proschool and I described the variation taught at PBUC. Both are proper.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 11:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If you require "proper" to equal "universal" there are very few proper mechanics. Socalblue1 described what is taught at proschool and I described the variation taught at PBUC. Both are proper.
What is acceptable at the pros is not always considered proper at other levels. That is really the case when you do not work pro ball and I am sure most here do not work pro ball.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 11:58am
Stop staring at me swan.

Find out what your umpires are doing locally...if you're newer...you may want to consider just doing what they do if it makes sense. Many associations don't want you to be a robot since an umpire's style (to a point) can be fun on the diamond. On the other hand, if you have a mechanic in mind that works for you and others know what you're doing, stick with what works for you.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is acceptable at the pros is not always considered proper at other levels. That is really the case when you do not work pro ball and I am sure most here do not work pro ball.

Peace

Most of those instances involve different rules, safety, consideration of age, assumption of players ability and and situation recognition

Can you describe one reason why the PBUC mechanic would not be "proper" for High School play? It recognizes the strike, the uncaught pitch, and it does not utilize anything that could be misinterpreted as an out signal until a tag is made.

It is a proper mechanic at all levels. It may not be universal. Feel free to not to use it.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 12:08pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Personally, I like the point as well so people don't confuse it with an out signal on a dropped third...however, at a clinic I attended last night, they didn't teach it that way. I wasn't going to argue with them and they weren't necessarily looking to be "right" either. The instructors were some of the state's clinicians and umpires. If a new umpire used what they learned at the clinic, they'll do fine. If a veteran ump has something that works and makes sense, they were cool with that too...but since they were instructing a bunch of people they asked us to do it their way last night which made sense too.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Most of those instances involve different rules, safety, consideration of age, assumption of players ability and and situation recognition
Rules and mechanics are two completely different things.

Quote:
Can you describe one reason why the PBUC mechanic would not be "proper" for High School play? It recognizes the strike, the uncaught pitch, and it does not utilize anything that could be misinterpreted as an out signal until a tag is made.

It is a proper mechanic at all levels. It may not be universal. Feel free to not to use it.
Proper means that it is acceptable. I did not say the mechanic did not work or it would cause a problem. If you ask me, I have no idea why umpires feel that everything pro is wonderful. The training, expectations and even the number of umpires on the field are different.

The only mechanic I have ever used is one from the BU to give a very subtle signal if they see a ball caught or not. Not everyone uses it and not every situation it works. And based on what I have seen everyone at the pro level did not use one mechanic. Or the White Sox-Angels playoff situation might not have ever happen.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rules and mechanics are two completely different things.
Duh! However, mechanics are often so designed due to rules.

No need to continue. As I said, you may feel free not to use what others accept as proper. No one here will care.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Thu Apr 02, 2009 at 12:33pm.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Jeff,

Don't confuse pro level with MLB as they are often very different animals. In general when we refer to pro ball mechanics it's the two or three umpire system in Rookie to AA. AAA uses a hybrid three-umpire system with some differences based on preparing umpires for the four umpire MLB games.

With the exception of enforcing the safety aspects (FPSR, etc), I can think of virtually nothing in the way of two umpire pro (PBUC) mechanics that are not relevant to the amateur level. CCA is very close to what is actually taught in school & PBUC (The red book is way behind).

Jim
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No need to continue. As I said, you may feel free not to use what others accept as proper. No one here will care.
If you think I care what you do or do not do, you have a much more inflated perception of yourself than I would have imagined.

All I ever care about what my partner is doing that day. And if my partner that is working the plate chooses to do that, he will have to take crap if he gets it wrong. I will not be pointing or any such mechanic and I will have to deal with the consequences.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1 View Post
Jeff,

Don't confuse pro level with MLB as they are often very different animals. In general when we refer to pro ball mechanics it's the two or three umpire system in Rookie to AA. AAA uses a hybrid three-umpire system with some differences based on preparing umpires for the four umpire MLB games.
Trust me I am not. I have some really good friends that are pro umpire instructors and we have had this discussion before. They do not seem to get all puffy about it. I do not know why anyone here would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1 View Post
With the exception of enforcing the safety aspects (FPSR, etc), I can think of virtually nothing in the way of two umpire pro (PBUC) mechanics that are not relevant to the amateur level. CCA is very close to what is actually taught in school & PBUC (The red book is way behind).

Jim
Jim, understand when there are two umpires, there are not a lot of options. Baseball does not look drastically different because there is only so much you can do on a baseball field anyway. And when you work for college assignors, they do not want to see guys doing pro mechanics. And I am sure that people that were to do something simply because PBUC suggests it might not be a good thing. Now if you want to advocate a good personal mechanic, that would be better than to say what PBUC says is always acceptable. It clearly is not at all levels.

Peace