The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

When can a runner advance?

There is a base runner and the batter fouls off a pitch. Can the umpire throw the ball to the pitcher? Or does the catcher have to throw the ball back to the pitcher?
Assuming the runner retaggs the base. When is it legal for the base runner to try to advance to the next base? Is the ball "in play' once the pitcher has the ball? What if the pitcher doesn't field the ball cleanly? If the ball is given to the catcher, can he try to pick off the runner?
I am not a baseball umpire, I am a fan of the game and my son asks me these type of questions.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

For FED the ball is dead until the umpires gives the "play" signal (pointing to the pitcher). Which only happens when pitcher engages the rubber, and the batter and catcher are in their boxes.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
For FED the ball is dead until the umpires gives the "play" signal (pointing to the pitcher). Which only happens when pitcher engages the rubber, and the batter and catcher are in their boxes.
Same for OBR. Nothing should happen until the PU puts the ball back in play. Until then, no play should occur. I say "should" b/c many umpires neglect to do this and it falls by the waste side due to their laziness or ignorance.

But, nothing should happen until the batter, pitcher, and catcher are ready, all runners have returned to their original base. After all of this, then the PU says "Play" while pointing at F1.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 03:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
There is a base runner and the batter fouls off a pitch. Can the umpire throw the ball to the pitcher? Or does the catcher have to throw the ball back to the pitcher?
The new preferred mechanic is to hand the new ball to the catcher, although it is perfectly acceptable and legal for the umpire to throw the ball back. Many umpires still prefer to throw it, and as long as they get it there accurately every time, there's no problem. Umpires who can't throw should definitely give it to the catcher, so as not to make the pitcher jump and dive around for the ball.

I have always thrown it back myself when the catcher is forced to chase a foul. If someone does that job for him, then I hand it to him. Next season, I plan to hand the ball to the catcher in most cases.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

With my super duper gun I actually threw it to the SS one game. Since then I let the catcher handle the tricky part of the game.

For years my son would tell me I threw like an old man. He right. Now he tells all his friends that his Dad is so old, when he was a kid, the Dead Sea was still alive.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Zoochy.....There are a few rules that address what you have asked.

OBR 5.02 After the umpire calls “Play” the ball is alive and in play and remains alive and in play until for legal cause, or at the umpire’s call of “Time” suspending play, the ball becomes dead. While the ball is dead no player may be put out, no bases may be run and no runs may be scored, except that runners may advance one or more bases as the result of acts which occurred while the ball was alive (such as, but not limited to a balk, an overthrow, interference, or a home run or other fair ball hit out of the playing field).

OBR 5.11 After the ball is dead, play shall be resumed when the pitcher takes his place on the pitcher’s plate with a new ball or the same ball in his possession and the plate umpire calls “Play.” The plate umpire shall call “Play” as soon as the pitcher takes his place on his plate with the ball in his possession.

The rule does not state that the batter has to be in the box and ready to go to put the ball in play. We usually wait for the batter to step in before putting the ball in play. We don’t let the pitcher quick pitch if the batter is getting ready. However, if the batter does not step in the box in due time, we can put the ball in play, order the pitcher to pitch, and call it for what it is even if the batter is not in the box. In HS ball it will always be a strike, maybe two.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post

For years my son would tell me I threw like an old man. He right. Now he tells all his friends that his Dad is so old, when he was a kid, the Dead Sea was still alive.
Now, that is funny.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
However, if the batter does not step in the box in due time, we can put the ball in play, order the pitcher to pitch, and call it for what it is even if the batter is not in the box.
That is not the current rule, that is not even the old rule. The ball is dead and a strike is called; the pitcher is not ordered to pitch.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
the waste side???
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck View Post
the waste side???
"Germans?"
"Forget it, he's rolling."
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 02:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
However, if the batter does not step in the box in due time, we can put the ball in play, order the pitcher to pitch, and call it for what it is even if the batter is not in the box. In HS ball it will always be a strike, maybe two.
What rule book did this gem come out of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
That is not the current rule, that is not even the old rule. The ball is dead and a strike is called; the pitcher is not ordered to pitch.
Luke is correct . There is no "okay, pitch" rule.

6.02(b) only applies if the batter steps out of the box without obtaining Time, and the pitcher delivers the pitch.

6.02(a) The batter shall take his position in the batter’s box promptly when it is his time at bat.

6.02(b) The batter shall not leave his position in the batter’s box after the pitcher comes to Set Position, or starts his windup.
PENALTY: If the pitcher pitches, the umpire shall call “Ball” or “Strike,” as the case may be.

Rule 6.02(b) Comment: The batter leaves the batter’s box at the risk of having a strike delivered and called, unless he requests the umpire to call “Time.” The batter is not at liberty to step in and out of the batter’s box at will.

Once a batter has taken his position in the batter’s box, he shall not be permitted to step out of the batter’s box in order to use the resin or the pine tar rag, unless there is a delay in the game action or, in the judgment of the umpires, weather conditions warrant an exception.

Umpires will not call “Time” at the request of the batter or any member of his team once the pitcher has started his windup or has come to a set position even though the batter claims “dust in his eyes,” “steamed glasses,” “didn’t get the sign” or for any other cause.

Umpires may grant a hitter’s request for “Time” once he is in the batter’s box, but the umpire should eliminate hitters walking out of the batter’s box without reason. If umpires are not lenient, batters will understand that they are in the batter’s box and they must remain there until the ball is pitched. See Rule 6.02(d).

The following two paragraphs are additional material for Rule 6.02(b) Comment, for Major League play only:

If pitcher delays once the batter is in his box and the umpire feels that the delay is not justified he may allow the batter to step out of the box momentarily.

If after the pitcher starts his windup or comes to a “set position” with a runner on, he does not go through with his pitch because the batter has stepped out of the box, it shall not be called a balk. Both the pitcher and batter have violated a rule and the umpire shall call time and both the batter and pitcher start over from “scratch.”

6.02(c) pertains to batters refusing to take their place in the box, and no pitch is delivered:

6.02(c) If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter’s box during his time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike on the batter. The ball is dead, and no runners may advance. After the penalty, the batter may take his proper position and the regular ball and strike count shall continue. If the batter does not take his proper position before three strikes have been called, the batter shall be declared out.

Rule 6.02(c) Comment: The umpire shall give the batter a reasonable opportunity to take his proper position in the batter’s box after the umpire has called a strike pursuant to Rule 6.02(c) and before the umpire calls a successive strike pursuant to Rule 6.02(c).

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sun Jul 26, 2009 at 02:37am. Reason: adding emphasis
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck View Post
the waste side???
It might make sense in Georgia...ya never know.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

whoops....good catch. That's why I wear #98 on my sleeve. I'm 98% correct 50% of the time (or I'm working my way to #1).
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down EVONY Ads?

What the hell is it with these EVONY adds popping up on all of the threads? Does the site need $$$$ that bad? Why don't we just keep it to sport posts?

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 10:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP 64 View Post
What the hell is it with these EVONY adds popping up on all of the threads? Does the site need $$$$ that bad? Why don't we just keep it to sport posts?
You have something against looking at a pretty girl's cleavage?