The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Batter switching boxes during same AB

OBR

Batter has a 1-2 count on him while batting Righty. After a pitch, foul ball, whatever... switches to lefty.

Is he allowed to do this?

I know that he can not switch boxes while the pitcher is ready to pitch (assuming to mean, on the rubber from the wind-up, and after hes completed his set position) and if the pitcher is ambidextrious (?) he has to delcare before the AB starts.

Little help here as it happened in a game before mine last night.

Thanks
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 01:12am
In Time Out

Yes, it is legal.
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 01:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12 View Post
OBR

Batter has a 1-2 count on him while batting Righty. After a pitch, foul ball, whatever... switches to lefty.

I know that he can not switch boxes while the pitcher is ready to pitch (assuming to mean, on the rubber from the wind-up, and after hes completed his set position) and if the pitcher is ambidextrious (?) he has to delcare before the AB starts.

Thanks
He can switch back and forth after every pitch if he wants to, just as long as the pitcher is not ready to pitch. "Ready to pitch" doesn't mean after he has come set, it means once he is in position and ready to pitch. These criteria have to be met to be "in position": The ball is alive, the pitcher is on the rubber and the catcher is in position. After that, the batter can't switch boxes.

6.06(b) The batter is out for illegal action when he steps from one batter’s box to the other while the pitcher is in position ready to pitch.

Also, it's not the batter who has to declare how he will bat with an ambidextrious pitcher, it's the pitcher who must declare which arm he will throw with.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sun Jul 19, 2009 at 01:39am.
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12 View Post
OBR

Thanks
I may be wrong on this, I know this happened in a AAA game last year. I can remember what ended up happening, but can't quite remember the interp that got it to that point.

If F1 is ambidextrous, the batter does not have to declare before the AB starts. He can still switch every pitch I believe. Each player is allowed one "switch" before each pitch. So batter steps up to the left side of the plate. Pitcher then puts glove on his right hand, and we are locked in. Batter can then switch to right side if he wishes, F1 can switch to righty, and now we are locked in. But I believe it is just for that pitch, this is the part I can't quite recall.

I know I recall the batter was the one that lost out (he was also ejected...)
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
I may be wrong on this, I know this happened in a AAA game last year. I can remember what ended up happening, but can't quite remember the interp that got it to that point.

If F1 is ambidextrous, the batter does not have to declare before the AB starts. He can still switch every pitch I believe. Each player is allowed one "switch" before each pitch. So batter steps up to the left side of the plate. Pitcher then puts glove on his right hand, and we are locked in. Batter can then switch to right side if he wishes, F1 can switch to righty, and now we are locked in. But I believe it is just for that pitch, this is the part I can't quite recall.

Short Season A. Staten Island Yankees. NY-Penn League.

A rule to cover it was written for this year and added to the rule book. 8.01(f). Pitcher declares first - can't switch until the batter is retired, becomes a runner, or is substituted for.
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post

I always HATE it whenever I have an ambidextrous guy throwing to a switch-hitter. Nothing but problems.
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I always HATE it whenever I have an ambidextrous guy throwing to a switch-hitter. Nothing but problems.
You too?

Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I HATE that.

... Hate it.
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 10:21pm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
You too?

Quote:
I HATE that.

... Hate it.
And it happens so darn frequently, too!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Short Season A. Staten Island Yankees. NY-Penn League.

A rule to cover it was written for this year and added to the rule book. 8.01(f). Pitcher declares first - can't switch until the batter is retired, becomes a runner, or is substituted for.
Thanks Rich - apologies from me for the confusion. long term memory loss I guess...