The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Two questions from the Cubs/Cards game

Don't remember what inning, R1 slides into second well toward the outfield side of the bag to break up DP. He slides with his left hand down and his right hand high in the air. He is looking toward F4 when he puts his right hand up and the throw to F3 goes directly into R1's upstretched hand. After the contact he slides not on the bag, but to the outfield side of the bag. he is close enough however to roll over and reach the bag with his right hand. I am not an OBR expert, so where is the line between a legal slide and obstruction?

In the 9th inning, F1 (Marshall) is moved to F7 to bring in RHP F1 to pitch to one batter. After that batter is retired, F7 is brought back in to pitch. Is he treated as a new pitcher? Does he get warm up pitches again? What if he pitched as was moved to F7 in the 8th inning, then brought back in to pitch in the 9th? Does that change anything? Also, when he is brought back in from F7 does he need to pitch to one batter before being replaced, or does his previous pitching allow him to be replaced if a pinch hitter is announced?

Clear as mud? And no I am not a jock sniffer.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 09:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
Don't remember what inning, R1 slides into second well toward the outfield side of the bag to break up DP. He slides with his left hand down and his right hand high in the air. He is looking toward F4 when he puts his right hand up and the throw to F3 goes directly into R1's upstretched hand. After the contact he slides not on the bag, but to the outfield side of the bag. he is close enough however to roll over and reach the bag with his right hand. I am not an OBR expert, so where is the line between a legal slide and obstruction?
First, it would be interference, not obstruction and second, unless he actually intentionally touched the ball when he reached for it, it sounds like a legal slide to me. I was watching the Futures game at the time, so I didn't see it.

Quote:
In the 9th inning, F1 (Marshall) is moved to F7 to bring in RHP F1 to pitch to one batter. After that batter is retired, F7 is brought back in to pitch. Is he treated as a new pitcher? Does he get warm up pitches again? What if he pitched as was moved to F7 in the 8th inning, then brought back in to pitch in the 9th? Does that change anything? Also, when he is brought back in from F7 does he need to pitch to one batter before being replaced, or does his previous pitching allow him to be replaced if a pinch hitter is announced?

Rule 3.03 Comment: A pitcher may change to another position only once during the same inning; e.g. the pitcher will not be allowed to assume a position other than a pitcher more than once in the same inning.

Any player other than a pitcher substituted for an injured player shall be allowed five warm-up throws. (See Rule 8.03 for pitchers.)

Yes, he must again face one batter who must reach base or be retired before being replaced (except for injury.)

Quote:
Clear as mud? And no I am not a jock sniffer.
Oh, sure!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 09:47pm. Reason: correction
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

He only gets warm-ups once per inning. So if he comes back to pitch in the same inning he gets no throws.

IN the first sit. You have a clear cut interference when he raised his hand and interfered with the throw. Even if he goes straight into the bag, you have a legal slide but still have int by him raising his hands.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 09:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin View Post

IN the first sit. You have a clear cut interference when he raised his hand and interfered with the throw. Even if he goes straight into the bag, you have a legal slide but still have int by him raising his hands.
Must be intentional on a thrown ball.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He only gets warm-ups once per inning. So if he comes back to pitch in the same inning he gets no throws.

Incorrect, Martin
PITCHER CHANGING TO A DEFENSIVE POSITION
Under casebook comment to the OBR 3.03. a pitcher may change to a defensive position other than pitcher once an inning. In other words, a pitcher may change to another defensive position and then return to the mound during the same inning (unless of course he is removed from the game) If such a pitcher returns to the mound during the same inning, he is allowed the usual 8 warm-up pitches.
MLBUM 7.3

Last edited by JR12; Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 10:07pm.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Must be intentional on a thrown ball.
Correct, and that's the way it sounded.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Correct, and that's the way it sounded.
It was intentional - he elevated the hand after starting his natural slide when he saw the fielder about to release the ball. Everyone not named Joe Morgan knew it was intentional. I was simply shocked there was no interference call. It might be the Cubbie blue in my veins, but I doubt it.

Fortunately, we no longer have to wonder about Adam Wainwright's intelligence.

"Hey I've got a good idea... I'm going to use my PITCHING hand to break up a meaningless DP in a game I'm leading by three runs."*

* He could have been up by one at the time; however, it still remains a stupid idea.

Last edited by Brett; Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 11:05pm.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 11:06pm

Maybe someone could post the video clip. I'm sure some ambitious person can manage that.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Maybe someone could post the video clip. I'm sure some ambitious person can manage that.
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | STL@CHC: Wainwright slides hard to break up a DP - Video | stlcardinals.com: Multimedia
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

R1 was the pitcher, can't see a pitcher throwing up his pitching hand intentionally.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 11:34pm

Looked like a good slide to me. He was just executing a classic feet-first slide, in which both arms go up in the air to avoid injury (that's how I was taught the art of sliding by Jim Deitz of SDSU), so I'm with Morgan on this one. You can't call it intentional. Play the bounce.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
R1 was the pitcher, can't see a pitcher throwing up his pitching hand intentionally.
He sure brought his non-pitching hand down quickly. Oh wait - that hand wouldn't interfere with the throw. I can actually understand the no call (partially for the reason(s) SDS states), but I still respectfully disagree with it.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

He gets warm-ups each time he comes back. He's treated like a new pitcher. That's why he has to face one batter.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

That had to hurt! Lucky he didn't sprain or break a finger.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Sure looked like intentional interference with a thrown ball to me.

Probably pretty hard to see in "real time".

JM