The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 09:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
Kylejt.. how many calls do you miss a yrs?.... Im sure more than 2.. The guy misses a call and all of a sudden he should be fired?... Ok next time you miss a call, can we fire you?...
Hmmm...I believe the title of the post was "Is anyone sick and tired..." Who asked for other commentary unless you are among the sick and tired? He wanted to know who is sick and tired, not who isn't.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Hmmm...I believe the title of the post was "Is anyone sick and tired..." Who asked for other commentary unless you are among the sick and tired? He wanted to know who is sick and tired, not who isn't.

The question "Is anyone else sick and tired of watching Tim McLelland mail it in?" can be answered in either yes or no. If the OP only wanted to hear from those who agree with him, he should have said so.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Is anyone else sick and tired of watching Tim McLelland mail it in? Can't he step aside and allow someone who isn't bored with umpiring have a shot? It doesn't even matter anymore. He kicks calls and strolls around like the game's an annoyance to him.
Kevin,

Nope. I have not experienced any symptoms of either illness or fatigue due to watching Tim McLelland umpire a baseball game.

Thank you for your concern.

JM
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

:d
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 10:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Kevin,

Nope. I have not experienced any symptoms of either illness or fatigue due to watching Tim McLelland umpire a baseball game.

Thank you for your concern.

JM
Post of the Month nominee!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
Kylejt.. how many calls do you miss a yrs?..

Plenty, (not really, maybe one) but you're missing the whole point.

Here's the problem, as I see it. It starts at the beginning. Want to be an MLB umpire? First you need to go to the five week school in Florida in January. If you have a job, you can kiss it goodbye, 'cause nobody can take a five week vacation. In college? Five weeks off in January kills your Spring semester. So now you've narrowed the pool of eligible candidates down, and not for the good.

So now you've got a group of guys that have been through the school, and made the cut. Congrats! Now get in your Toyota Tercel, eat at McDonalds, and sleep in endless La Quinta Inns for the next eight years. Now you're 28 years old, and have nothing to show for it. Well, unless one of the guys in THE SHOW either dies, or has some sort of amputation.

Then, if some sort of miracle happens, and you do get pulled up, you'd think you'd do everything possible to stay there. The money is FINALLY worth it (not really. Not going home for months on end can't justify that money to me), and you've MADE IT. Cool. But then you look around, see guys Cadillacing it, and getting their 30 years in. So what's their incentive to have the same crisp mechanics and hustle they had down in Rookie league? None. And that's the problem. They answer to no one.

Possible solution: Create a large pool of umpires from AA and up, and rotate them into MLB games. Instead of the same, tired souls you see day in and day out, you'd see a group of go getters. Make the pay decent, with a bonus for MLB games. Do a good job, you'll get asked back. Don't, and you won't. Then you get a bigger(better) group of folks willing to make this a career.

Just a thought.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Plenty, (not really, maybe one) but you're missing the whole point.

Here's the problem, as I see it. It starts at the beginning. Want to be an MLB umpire? First you need to go to the five week school in Florida in January. If you have a job, you can kiss it goodbye, 'cause nobody can take a five week vacation. In college? Five weeks off in January kills your Spring semester. So now you've narrowed the pool of eligible candidates down, and not for the good.

So now you've got a group of guys that have been through the school, and made the cut. Congrats! Now get in your Toyota Tercel, eat at McDonalds, and sleep in endless La Quinta Inns for the next eight years. Now you're 28 years old, and have nothing to show for it. Well, unless one of the guys in THE SHOW either dies, or has some sort of amputation.

Then, if some sort of miracle happens, and you do get pulled up, you'd think you'd do everything possible to stay there. The money is FINALLY worth it (not really. Not going home for months on end can't justify that money to me), and you've MADE IT. Cool. But then you look around, see guys Cadillacing it, and getting their 30 years in. So what's their incentive to have the same crisp mechanics and hustle they had down in Rookie league? None. And that's the problem. They answer to no one.

Possible solution: Create a large pool of umpires from AA and up, and rotate them into MLB games. Instead of the same, tired souls you see day in and day out, you'd see a group of go getters. Make the pay decent, with a bonus for MLB games. Do a good job, you'll get asked back. Don't, and you won't. Then you get a bigger(better) group of folks willing to make this a career.

Just a thought.
And the odds of the union letting this happen are.....slightly less than my working an MLB game next week.

Part of the problem with sleeping in your Tercel after eating McDonald's in the La Quinta parking lot is that the AMLU and MiLB see umpires as completely different things. And until that changes, there will be a trickle-up effect as you mention above.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Every time I see this thread title, I think "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired."
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets View Post
And the odds of the union letting this happen are.....slightly less than my working an MLB game next week.

Part of the problem with sleeping in your Tercel after eating McDonald's in the La Quinta parking lot is that the AMLU and MiLB see umpires as completely different things. And until that changes, there will be a trickle-up effect as you mention above.
Well, I think Kyle knows that. I happen to agree with his idea but I know a plan like that will not happen anytime soon.