The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 12:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Plus, announcers have come to hate him because his calls are now so dreadfully slow. They don't know if it's a ball or a strike.
Yeah, and I always defended Greg Bonin for his "timing," but McClelland makes Bonin look like Frank Pulli in comparison. At least when Bonin called them, there was enthusiasm.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 11:24pm
In Time Out

Saw T Mac work tonight. I thought he did great job. His timing isn't as slow as described in any post.

He just isn't as herky jerky as most umpires.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

I'm still trying to figure out just how Tim is "an embarrassment to his profession." Just who is embarrassed? I'm certainly not, and my peers who are familiar with Tim aren't, and I doubt Tim's MLB peers are embarrassed.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Oh, okay ... I guess he's a source of pride, then.

And, watching him somnambulate through his U1 performance last night is what got me going. His laziness and disinterest are more glaring out there than when he works the plate.

Geez, I remember when I liked him ... and defended him. It's sad when any baseball performer hangs on too long.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 07:44am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Kevin - so what your saying basically is: MLB either knows he's a poor umpire and condones it, or isn't aware of it because they don't watch/evaluate their umpires, and because he has longevity they refuse to take any action?
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Kevin - so what your saying basically is: MLB either knows he's a poor umpire and condones it, or isn't aware of it because they don't watch/evaluate their umpires, and because he has longevity they refuse to take any action?
MLB umpires have a powerful union, and the hiring/firing decisions are not quite as cut-and-dried as your dilemma suggests.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

In fairness, while working third last night, McClelland lazily strolled to a point that was fairly near a good position and correctly called Torii Hunter safe at third on a missed tag after the ball beat him by 12 feet. I would have expected McClelland to call him out to shorten the inning as he usually does on close ones, but instead he got it right.

You have to give credit when it's due.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
In fairness, while working third last night, McClelland lazily strolled to a point that was fairly near a good position and correctly called Torii Hunter safe at third on a missed tag after the ball beat him by 12 feet. I would have expected McClelland to call him out to shorten the inning as he usually does on close ones, but instead he got it right.

You have to give credit when it's due.
This thread is ridiculous.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 12:00pm

Yeah, I agree. Anytime people say things I don't like or don't want to hear, I say it's ridiculous as well.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Yeah, I agree. Anytime people say things I don't like or don't want to hear, I say it's ridiculous as well.
Actually I never made any posts in this thread other than "what happened?"
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

My main contention is that it reflects poorly on the profession of umpiring to have a lazy, disinterested veteran performing questionably when there are scores of qualified and keenly interested umpires champing at the bit to get a shot.

Have some pride and step aside. It's the big leagues.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I think they should be the standard bearer of what umpires should be. The best of the best.
Kyle I do not think we will ever get the "best of the best" unless the dinamics change.

In other professions you can make a decent living at the apprentice (learning ) level before you move up. In other words while you are "earning your stripes" you are not starving.

Look at the pay scale of a minor league umpire. Heck you can make more money by being a manager at Walmart.

Also, I believe you have so many years in the minors to "make it" after that you simply get a letter from MLB telling you MLB no longer requires your services. No severance pay no nothing.

How is that kind of system going to attract the "best of the best" It attracts those that can Live within those perameters. Ie; no family to support or if you are lucky a wife who makes good bucks etc. etc.

Also, being a MLB umpire is like being on the US Supreme Court meaning you are there for life for all practical purposes. How many spots are open each year? It is not that many

Therefore, until the dinamics change IMO, you will not see the best of the best.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 05:51pm

I find it just amazing that the same folks who always bash Froemming are willing to fall all over themselves to defend McClelland. Bruce at least went through the motions of hustling.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, maybe.

MLB is in the entertainment business, like it or not. It's a show. If part of that show isn't working, you may want to rethink it.

In a pure sense MLB would be evaluating umpires, and have the best product on the field every year. Obviously that doesn't happen. These guys have become like line workers at a GM plant. Complacent.

Look, I get why these guys don't want to leave these gigs. The money is FINALLY worth it, and they've got nothing else to fall back on. They're not like NFL officials, who actually have other jobs. This is all they know. They've given up a good hunk of their lives to get there, and don't want that paycheck to end. I get it. There just should be a better way, as these guys hang around far too long.

Kylejt.. how many calls do you miss a yrs?.... Im sure more than 2.. The guy misses a call and all of a sudden he should be fired?... Ok next time you miss a call, can we fire you?...
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Perspective police, please!