The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Ball out of play

This happened on a windy day in the second game of a double header. We used a split crew that day, and I was not on this game. The umpire who made the ruling consulted a rule book on the field, and still managed to screw it up (or so I think).

R1, R2, outs don't matter. Batter hits a sinking liner to F9, and it handcuffs him. At the last second, he dives forward. The ball skips into his glove, which the fielder "flicks" up. The ball comes out of his glove and flies over the fence.

Place the runners. Now explain it to the coaches so that nobody gets ejected.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

BR at 2nd....R1 at 3rd....R2 scores....same as if he threw it out of bounds....also depends on where the runners were at the time of the "throw."

Last edited by Bishopcolle; Sun Jun 28, 2009 at 09:15am.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 09:18am

I will play...

R2 scores
R1 to 3rd
BR to 2nd

Ground Rule Double

F9 never had control of the ball, so it is not a thrown ball, but still a batted ball.

Now don't argue coach. I don't want to eject you.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

results the same, but definitely had control if he flipped it....that is the definition of control....so semantics really....results are the same
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Did he intentionally and voluntarily "flick" the ball from his glove? If yes I would say it's thrown out of play. If no then I agree with Steve.
What did the Umpire rule?
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Don't you have to decide if it was deflected or thrown first? If deflected it could be a HR or 2B depending on where it was deflected or where went over the fence. If thrown it's 2 bases.

6.09(h) Any fair fly ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over the fence into foul territory, in which case the batter shall be entitled to advance to second base; but if deflected into the stands or over the fence in fair territory, the batter shall be entitled to a home run. However, should such a fair fly be deflected at a point less than 250 feet from home plate, the batter shall be entitled to two bases only.

If it's a deflection at a point more than 250 feet from the plate it's a HR is it not? Think Canseco.

7.05 (h) Two bases, if a fair ball bounces or is deflected into the stands outside the first or third base foul lines; or if it goes through or under a field fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery or vines on the fence; or if it sticks in such fence, scoreboard, shrubbery or vines;

7.05(g) Two bases when, with no spectators on the playing field, a thrown ball goes into the stands, . . .
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Don't you have to decide if it was deflected or thrown first? If deflected it could be a HR or 2B depending on where it was deflected or where went over the fence. If thrown it's 2 bases.[/I]
As I read the OP, "the ball skipped into his glove." So this ball is no longer "in flight" and therefore cannot be a home run. I'm with 2 bases from TOP on this play. This seems pretty simple to explain to the managers, but they still may want to argue...
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

MLBUM 5.8 has a pretty extensive listing of circumstance involving balls deflected out of play.

My summary: TOT if a player intentionally deflects a batted or thrown ball out of play; or has complete control before the ball is dropped, deflected, or kicked OOP.

Otherwise, it is TOP.

Of course, the award is 2 bases.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I think I agree with SDS, but...

...how does this even happen? He'd have to flick the ball over 100 feet if he was playing at a regular depth and dove forward.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
...how does this even happen? He'd have to flick the ball over 100 feet if he was playing at a regular depth and dove forward.
I didn't see it. However, I had the first game on the same field in the same wind. We had a pop up over the mound that F4 caught in short right field.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
MLBUM 5.8 has a pretty extensive listing of circumstance involving balls deflected out of play.

My summary: TOT if a player intentionally deflects a batted or thrown ball out of play; or has complete control before the ball is dropped, deflected, or kicked OOP.

Otherwise, it is TOP.

Of course, the award is 2 bases.
Right. Unfortunately, that's not what happened on the field. He decided that since the fielder touched the ball, it should be TOT.

I asked him whether he had judged that the fielder had intentionally flipped the ball up or whether he had control, and he said no. So I told him that it should have been TOP ("ground rule double").

He told me to look it up, 'cuz they had used the book on the field.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 07:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I asked him whether he had judged that the fielder had intentionally flipped the ball up or whether he had control, and he said no. So I told him that it should have been TOP ("ground rule double").
So, what do I win?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm having a hard time with whether TOP or TOT would have mattered in this case since it was a liner. Where were the runners awarded?
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
Did he intentionally and voluntarily "flick" the ball from his glove?
Full disclosure: I'm just a fan. But, rarely does a day go by that I don't read this board to try to learn more about the game I love to watch.

The words voluntary and intentional imply a catch. Could the batter not be out here on a fly ball?
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
Full disclosure: I'm just a fan. But, rarely does a day go by that I don't read this board to try to learn more about the game I love to watch.

The words voluntary and intentional imply a catch. Could the batter not be out here on a fly ball?
No, the original play says the ball "skipped into the glove", so no catch.