The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Interference by retired runner

I was working the bases in a 17U game using MLB with youth safety modifications.

I have R1 on second and R2 on first and B3 hits a deep center field fly. R1 and R2 advance on the catch.

R1 attempts to go home and is caught in a rundown.

F6 tags R1 and starts to make a throw to 3rd base. R1 grabs F6's throwing arm and I call time and announce interference by a retired runner and call R2 out.

The manager comes out and wants to argue that R2 was standing on 3rd base at the time of the interference and he should not have been called out.

I explained that his retired runner interfered with an ongoing play and R2 location had no bearing on the interference call.

Did I screw the pooch?
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
I was working the bases in a 17U game using MLB with youth safety modifications.

I have R1 on second and R2 on first and B3 hits a deep center field fly. R1 and R2 advance on the catch.

F6 tags R1 and starts to make a throw to 3rd base. R1 grabs F6's throwing arm and I call time and announce interference by a retired runner and call R2 out.

The manager comes out and wants to argue that R2 was standing on 3rd base at the time of the interference and he should not have been called out.

I explained that his retired runner interfered with an ongoing play and R2 location had no bearing on the interference call.

Did I screw the pooch?
R1 is already out on the tag, then he interferes with a play (very nicely, too). Somebody has to be out, and R2 looks good in my gun sights!

I think that you did fine.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

The only thing you did wrong was to use FED's cockamamey numbering system for the runners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBR
7.09 It is interference by a batter or a runner when—
(e) Any batter or runner who has just been put out, or any runner who has just scored,
hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall
be declared out for the interference of his teammate;
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Did I screw the pooch?
nice job charlie....good call
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Thanks all I could not find the reference.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Just remember - when you have interference, someone (who is not already out) is going to be out.

Good job.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Just remember - when you have interference, someone (who is not already out) is going to be out.

Good job.
I would add (or already scored).
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
I would add (or already scored).
OK, but I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to think of a situation where a runner who has scored is called out for interference. It's probably there, I just can't come up with it.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, but I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to think of a situation where a runner who has scored is called out for interference. It's probably there, I just can't come up with it.
R1, R3. R3 comes home on a play and scores. Ball deflects off F2. As R1 rounds 2B to go 3B, R3 picks up the ball as F2 is getting to it and hands it to F2. In the umpire's judgment, F2 had a play on R1 at 3B. By rule 7.11 in OBR, R1 is out for his teammate's INT since R3 has already scored and can't be called out himself.

Or, take the OP and instead of the runner being out, he scored and did the same action.

I wasn't saying to call the runner who scored out. I meant he can't be called out so another runner has to be called out for the runner who scored INT.

Last edited by GA Umpire; Fri Jun 19, 2009 at 12:00pm.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

I had a runner who stole home on the pitch. He slid in and as the catcher tried to throw to second base on a play he stood up and there was a collision and I call R1 out. I explained to the manager that even though his runner did not mean to interfere R1 was still out.

I ended up sending the manager to the parking lot. I offered to send his team with him if he wanted to but he declined.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can get it, and I had a partner call it on fields with small backstops, where the runner who crossed the plate happens to be in the wrong place as the throw that tried to nail him gets away from the catcher, and subsequently interferes with him as he is trying to track down a loose ball....weird, but it can happen...
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now what if that interference caused the throw to go into left field and R2 scored? Seems like a weak argument by the coach.

Great call!
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Most of the time.
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had one this past HS season. Play at plate with off line throw that took F2 essentially to 3B extended position, about 10+ ft beyond the plate. As F2 is beginning throw to 2B to make a play on the BR, R3 runs into F2 - simple call - interference by runner who has scored.
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

I had one as well at the end of the high school season that was a HTBT, but I probably should have called it but didn't. I posted it on one of the other boards and the others thought it was incidental though so who knows.

In short, a runner that scored ended up standing next to the ball that deflected off the catcher on the throw home. Another runner was advancing from 2nd to 3rd as this happened. The catcher double-clutched after picking the ball up because of the scored runner being in front of him and the runner going to third slid in safely. The catcher ended up throwing it.