The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Bullsh!t. Words are added to quotes to indicate what was being referenced when the speak omits it, such as:

According to the witness: "When I came out side (the burglar) was running down the street."

OR

"It's obvioius (Brett) doesn't know squat about writing style."
OR

"[MrUmpire] should have used square brackets for editorial interpolations."
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
OR

"[MrUmpire] should have used square brackets for editorial interpolations."
That would depend on which style one uses. The NYT style guide for journalistic puposes does not use square brackets in the body of news stories.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 06:53pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
That would depend on which style one uses. The NYT style guide for journalistic puposes does not use square brackets in the body of news stories.
This forum is not the NY Times. I'll let each reader decide if this is a good thing or not.

Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 07:26pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
So if a school administrator tells you, the umpire in chief, that the grounds are unplayable and unsafe for the student athletes, you will allow them to continue just because you have the "sole" authority to "call" the game?

Better get your bank book,house title, and car title out, because my kid, the next batter, is going to sprain his ankle while trying to run out a grounder..........

(school has no liability as its all yours now)

Amen Brother.

A personal story along the lines of the OP: A number of years ago, when I still officiating H.S. (NFHS Rules) soccer, I was the AR1 (meaning I was the linesman on the Scorer/Timer/Team Benches side of the field) in a boys' H.S. varsity soccer game. The Home team was Grosse Ile (Mich.) H.S. which is a very very wealthy community south of Detroit. I did not know it at the time, but GIHS had and still does one of those super expensive lightning detection systems (the type you find at the U.S.G.A. Men's Open Championship and Highland Meadows G.C., home of the Jamie Farr-Owens Corning LPGA Championship). The GIHS AD approached me with about ten (10) minutes left in the first half and requested that I notify the R to come to the touchline at the first stoppage of play, which happened less that twenty (20) seconds later. The AD told us, that despite the sky looking absolutly beautiful, the lightning detection system had detected a thunderstorm in the area and he was suspending the game for the safety of the participants. We did not have to be told twice to get the teams off of the playing field and into the H.S. Fifteen (15) minutes later the thunderstorm hit the area.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 07:45pm

Quote:
So if a school administrator tells you, the umpire in chief, that the grounds are unplayable and unsafe for the student athletes, you will allow them to continue just because you have the "sole" authority to "call" the game?

Better get your bank book,house title, and car title out, because my kid, the next batter, is going to sprain his ankle while trying to run out a grounder..........

Okay, now we are getting way off course here. This was not the case in the OP, which is what we are discussing, not some hypothetical regarding the field being unplayable and dangerous. Here is exactly what the OP said:

I had a freshman doubleheader today. Rain came in the 2nd inning and I suspended play in the bottom of the third because it was getting too wet and the pitcher was starting to have footing issues. Anyway, the field was still salvageable if the rain stopped soon, so of course I decided to wait for awhile to see what happened. The Athletic Director for the home school was there (which almost never happens), and he came up to me as the players were coming off the field and told me that he was calling the game

Notice that he said that the field was not unsalvageable. A little DiamondDry or other dry dirt substance around the plate, mound and bases, and we're good to go if it stops raining soon. That's how I see it. Then, a heavy-handed AD comes harumphing in and steps on the umpire's balls.

The rules state two things:
    You wait a minimum of 30 minutes before making a rainout decision, in case the weather clears up.

As soon as the home team’s batting order is handed to the umpire-in-chief, the umpires are in charge of the playing field and from that moment they shall have sole authority to determine when a game shall be called, suspended or resumed on account of weather or the condition of the playing field.

In the case of the OP, the field could still have been played on if the rain stopped, so I would want to try my best to get both game fees. I hate raining out games, then going a mile to my house and watch the sun come out for the rest of the day. It's happened.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The field wasn't unplayable at that point and in fact he didn't say it was unplayable. What he said was this: "the rain probably isn't going to stop so I'm calling the game." I wouldn't put kids in a position to get hurt, so give me a little credit here. I didn't see the big deal in waiting for a few minutes to see if it let up. Most posters here seem to think I should have just let him have his way and called it and if it happens again that is probably what I will do.

By the way, this AD has already resigned his position, which will be effective at the end of the month. He's going back to teaching because being an AD is too demanding of his time (that is the reason he gave to the local paper). He wanted to get out of there; safety wasn't his concern in my opinion.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
The only problem I see with that logic is the Coach is also a School administrator. So let's say the HC is leading in the bottom of 6 by one run. VT comes up in top of 7 and scores 5 runs.

Now the HC comes to you and says "Blue this field is unplayable you should call it". In your opinion the field is still playable. F1's are throwing strikes etc.

Now what!

Using your logic if you do not call the game and someone gets hurt - Sue time.

Bottom line People will sue anyway.

if the AD is going to ask you to call the game then MAKE CERTAIN that each team KNOWS this so that you as the umpiring crew do not take the heat.

In the example given since there were 2 games scheduled I would ask the AD - Are you going to cancel both games? RE: get the 2 game FEES Also, suppose the VT traveld some distance. They might get upset about coming all this way and then having the game Kicked without even waiting 15 - 20 minutes to see if it clears or not.

In Summary: I have no problem if the AD wants to "kick the game" BUT I would make it "Crystal Clear" to both coaches that the AD is cancelling the game etc. Therefore, if there are any reprocussions the AD takes the heat not the umpires.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:54am
Stop staring at me swan.

If AD wants to cheat, that's going to be between him and the state governing board...if player safety comes up from a school administrator...I'm done...they can figure it out between them...ultimately they're the ones to have to work together many more times than I'll be seeing them. Yep, I agree w/ your points Pete.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I agree. Imagine that, agreeing with GA Umpire...who'da thunk it!
That's 2. What is the world coming to?
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Another point here

Not to throw a wrench in here, or maybe this has been discussed, but....

If this a Freshman DH, the AD might have had another reason to end the game: He is backed up on Varsity dates due to rainouts, and if there is more rain, his field may make playing future games very hard or impossible to do.

Then the thinking goes like this:

1. AD sees rain, and field getting muddy.
2. He knows that he has 4 varsity make-up dates he has to get in.
3. If it rains and the FR teams tear up the field, he has big problems getting Varsity games in.
4. Varsity is more important than JV of FR.
5. 'Voila!' The FR game is ended, pay the umps, get the tarp on and pray for a sunny day before FB season starts.

If the AD wants the game ended, take the $$$ and run, see if you can con him into getting paid for both, then head for the nearest Root Beer stand....