The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
I had the same problem last year with my achilles. Lots of lower calf streaching, ice after games and lifts in the heel of my shoes. This year, no problems. I too wear Converse Run-n-Refs......
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

I've been enjoying my first year as an official only to be sidelined recently due to foot problems. Specifically, achilles tendon and arch problems. I know, I know, it sounds like a problem with shoes. (I'm currently using Converse's Runnin' Ref)

I'm looking for a good shoe with great arch support (Nike has been good in the past but I can't find an official's shoe that they make). I only want to use orthotics as a last resort. Suggestions? Thanks.

Pirate
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I wear the Nike Cross Trainers. It was recommended to me with my shin splints to move to the converse. Go figure. What I have done for this year in install some store bought arch supports. Not perfect but I am able to run better then I did last year.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

I run a lot. Last summer I finish a 100 mile trail race across the Sierras. Why???? Another story.
2 things you might try.
1. Don't, yep that's do not, stretch before you've slowly and thoroughly warm up the legs. Not every part of a muscle, used to run, you would use to jump. Even in cycling, slightly different leg muscles are use when transistioning from flat ground to hills. So why stretch the whole muscle cold. Same for tendons.
I believe in a slow warm up doing what you're going to do. Then do a normal stretch after the exercise.
2. Try stretching the achilles tendon by lifting the toes as opposed to dropping the heal, keeping your weight on the heel. Two sets of 20 seconds on... on each foot.
I'm not an expert on the subject and I'm sure some out there will scream at my suggestion, but I'm almost 50, have officiated HS Varsity for 15 years and I'm still going strong. Knock on wood!
jc
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

I've only worn one shoe in my 26 years of officiating basketball--Converse OS95.

Unfortunately, Concerse no longer makes these. Many people told me these were too heavy for them. I never found them that way.

Good luck in your search, and the advise in the previous post is excellent. You have to warm up before stretching or something will pop.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I would go see a podiatrist, ASAP. I was having the same problems as you did last year. I did all of the stretching, ice, anti-inflammitories, etc. Nothing helped me. I kept on going (getting my arches taped every night) and it kept getting worse. By the time the season was over and I got to the Dr., my feet hurt all day every day. The Dr. made me some custom orthotics and we did all kinds of things to try and relieve the pain. Nothing helped me. I finally had to have surgery on my feet during the summer. Not a fun experience, but (knock on wood) I am continuing to improve and my feet are getting better. All of the other advice is good and good shoes are important (I wore Cons last year, but not this year), but if your feet continue to hurt, I would get in to a good podiatrist now.

Good luck with your feet.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Thumbs up

Ask your Doctor(orthopedic). I to have the same problem and i have slide in arch supports and they work great. The cost of the supports was about $20+

Good luck.

------------------
Don
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't aware they made arch support for "Snow Shoes" jc
quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Ref on 01-19-2000 10:44 PM
Ask your Doctor(orthopedic). I to have the same problem and i have slide in arch supports and they work great. The cost of the supports was about $20+

Good luck.

Old Thu Jan 20, 2000, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

As a referee who runs and coachs runners, I found the previous replies to be very helpful to you. I just want to give you some extra ideas.

Every time I run or ref, I wear an achilles tendon strap. I have ordered mine through a company named CHOPAT or a mail order business called ROAD RUNNER SPORTS. The straps have been a great help to me and have kept away from the knife. Using JUST CURIOUS'S stretch will help before and after your games. Try one more stretch. WALL PUSHUP: Straddle your feet apart and rest your forearms against a wall. Bend the front knee a lot and the back one a little. You should feel the stretch in the achilles. Hold it for 20 to 30 seconds.

For your arch: Try a different style of shoe.
Asics,Avia,or New Balance make excellent shoes to work in. I have tried them all. Replace the commerical insole with a high quality one from a speciality store. ROAD RUNNER SPORTS sells an arch brace the will help your problems there. My runners who use them compete injury-free when using the brace.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

I am a varsity & sub-varsity official as well as a high school distance track coach.
Due to a flexible schedule I often ref 6 nights/week, and I also run 10 or more miles per week & would recommend as follows:

1.Go to a Podiatrist with lots of sports experience & get a set of orthotics made. They will custom fit *your* arches better than any store bought insert or shoe can. You may have to tear the 'guts' out of the inside of your shoe so as not to over stretch your arch, but this will make the shoe you use much less important.
2.Don't ignore any foot pain. When it starts alternate ice & heat on the sore spot, 3 times, 10 minutes each.
3.Ibuprofen seems to work the best for me to take the 'edge' off when my foot acts up. I have a sensitive stomach and have never had problems that way.

Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Lightbulb

I had the same thing happen to me. I went through a whole season with absolutely no problems. Then, during the summer AAU season, my achilles started to hurt. I ended the season a bit early because of it and was perplexed at why my achilles were hurting. After a few weeks, it went away.

I have since discovered that I may have been tying my shoes too tightly! I have eased up a bit on the tying and haven't had any re-occurring problems. I like to wear the mids, so, I don't know if that makes any difference.

If you tie your shoes pretty tightly, like I used to, you might try loosening them a bit.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

do not have much to say about your arch problems but i can speak about achilles problem. i tore my achilles about 10 months ago. it's a nightmare. it's has been 10 months & would say i am about 80%. never ignore pain or soreness in that area. see an orthopedist for eval, lots of stretching & icing. w/ age blood flow reduces in the achilles. soreness & pain are signs that achilles is agitated & can be ruptured. do not be alarmed just be careful. the recovery time for a ruptured achilles can be anywhere from 6- 10 months & surgery. good luck
Old Sun Jan 23, 2000, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
"I've only worn one shoe in my 26 years of officiating basketball--Converse OS95."

Damn--26 years in one shoe--You got your money's worth!

Old Sun Jan 23, 2000, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Pirate on 01-18-2000 11:33 AM
I've been enjoying my first year as an official only to be sidelined recently due to foot problems. Specifically, achilles tendon and arch problems. I know, I know, it sounds like a problem with shoes. (I'm currently using Converse's Runnin' Ref)

I'm looking for a good shoe with great arch support (Nike has been good in the past but I can't find an official's shoe that they make). I only want to use orthotics as a last resort. Suggestions? Thanks.

Pirate

You have got to get your heel and arch lifted and cushioned. While you might get lucky and find a shoe that will do this for you, a insert is probably your only hope. Our association had a trainer from the local sports rehab hospital and he said that when you run, your ankles and lower leg has to support 5-8 times your body weight every time your foot hits the ground. I weigh 285--do the math! I immediately went to Wal-Mart and bought some DR SCHOLLS Dyna-Sport arch and heel supports. I'm happy to report that my shin-splints are gone, my achilies are not inflammed and my arches feel great. It only took one game to get used to them and the pay-off is well worth it.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by b_silliman on 01-18-2000 10:03 PM
I've only worn one shoe in my 26 years of officiating basketball--Converse OS95.

Didn't the other foot get jealous?

(sorry...)