The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   A.D. problems (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53661-d-problems.html)

IowaMike Tue Jun 16, 2009 05:37pm

A.D. problems

I had a freshman doubleheader today. Rain came in the 2nd inning and I suspended play in the bottom of the third because it was getting too wet and the pitcher was starting to have footing issues. Anyway, the field was still salvageable if the rain stopped soon, so of course I decided to wait for awhile to see what happened. The Athletic Director for the home school was there (which almost never happens), and he came up to me as the players were coming off the field and told me that he was calling the game. I told him that we were going to wait for a few minutes to see how the weather played out and that if we could continue we would. He then told me that he was the A.D. and he was calling the game. I told him that once the game starts, it isn't his call, it's mine and we were going to wait. He mumbled something and turned away from me, then went over and started to complain about me to the coaches. We waited about ten minutes, it was still raining and the field was beginning to puddle, so I called the game.

I know that I was correct that the UIC is the one who decides to call the game once it has started. Should I have just avoided the confrontation and let him dictate when the game was called, since I was about 99% sure that I was going to have to call it eventually anyway? I got the feeling he wanted to get out of there because it was "only a freshman game." I'm sure he wouldn't have tried to pull that during a varsity contest. It has always been my opinion that every effort should be made to try and get the game in if possible. Also, would you guys report this to your league assignor or would that be making a mountain out of a molehill?

UmpJM Tue Jun 16, 2009 05:45pm

IowaMike,

I doubt that I would get in a "pissing contest" with an A.D. over this, though by rule you are technically correct.

Some fights are worth taking on & some aren't. To me, this falls in the "aren't" category.

On the other hand, were he to insist that a game continue when I judged that the conditions were "not suitable", I would prevail.

JM

umpjong Tue Jun 16, 2009 06:27pm

If check is in hand, I'm out of there before he changes his mind......:D

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jun 16, 2009 07:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjong (Post 609284)
If check is in hand, I'm out of there before he changes his mind......:D

Amen. "What's that you say, sir...calling the game?" Next thing you know I'm at my trunk pulling off gear.:)

johnnyg08 Tue Jun 16, 2009 07:09pm

yep, if the AD calls it it's done...in MN for FED anyway, district administration shares jurisdiction with the officials once the game starts.

IowaMike Tue Jun 16, 2009 08:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 609280)
IowaMike,

I doubt that I would get in a "pissing contest" with an A.D. over this, though by rule you are technically correct.

Some fights are worth taking on & some aren't. To me, this falls in the "aren't" category.

On the other hand, were he to insist that a game continue when I judged that the conditions were "not suitable", I would prevail.

JM

You're probably right. I wasn't really looking for a pissing contest, but I guess the fact that I thought there might be a chance to play plus the disrespectful way he approached me led me to do what I did. I felt afterwards that the best thing would have been to just call it. If the coaches wanted to complain, they could complain to him. By the way, since it was called during the first game of a doubleheader, I will only get my fee for the first game, thus the desire on my part to get both games in if possible.

UmpJM Tue Jun 16, 2009 08:19pm

Mike,

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaMike (Post 609293)
...but I guess the fact that I thought there might be a chance to play plus the disrespectful way he approached me led me to do what I did.

I empathize, because that can be pretty annoying. Usually best to just "rise above it" and respond to the di*khead's rudeness with mildly exaggerated courtesy. I might consider not taking any more games there.

Quote:

... By the way, since it was called during the first game of a doubleheader, I will only get my fee for the first game, thus the desire on my part to get both games in if possible.
As in all things, do as you think best, but I would encourage you to not let that fact enter your deliberation on the question.

JM

DG Tue Jun 16, 2009 08:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaMike (Post 609293)
By the way, since it was called during the first game of a doubleheader, I will only get my fee for the first game, thus the desire on my part to get both games in if possible.

I never mind leaving early with a full game fee. What I mind is them not calling and I travel to the site for half a game fee for a game that can't be played.

jdmara Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:04pm

Mike if you're absolutely wanting to take on this fight, contact your assigner or Roger. I personally wouldn't worry about it. I know how the AD's seem to be either completely absent or in the way...

-Josh

jicecone Wed Jun 17, 2009 07:20am

True story.

Went to a HS Varsity game and was told by the AD that the game was changed to a double header. Strange, because it was a 4:30 start and the field barley had lines , let alone lights. The AD said it was cleared with the district because the weather was supposed to be bad the next day. We would recieve doulble pay, which at that time was $90.00 per game each.

Then the AD and coach stated that this was the bad news? Because of a school banquet that night that they were only going to play 2-3 inning games because the had to leave by 6:30. (Now this was a team that won an average on one, maybe trwo games a year). My partner said he would do the dish both games to save time and all I said was "Thank you Jesus."

I used to work with a gentlemen that would get rattled about the most trivial of things in a game. I would always tell him to bite his tongue. put his hand in his pocket and feel trhe money and smile.

ozzy6900 Wed Jun 17, 2009 07:53am

So you have inclement weather and a field going bad. The AD is calling the game for you. Whatever his reason is, let's face facts. If you go against him and wait, then someone gets hurt, who do you think will take the fall?

Best advice - if the AD wants to end it, end it! Just make sure that you are paid the full price for the game.

Rich Wed Jun 17, 2009 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 609349)
So you have inclement weather and a field going bad. The AD is calling the game for you. Whatever his reason is, let's face facts. If you go against him and wait, then someone gets hurt, who do you think will take the fall?

Best advice - if the AD wants to end it, end it! Just make sure that you are paid the full price for the game.

I was working a brutal, brutal varsity game last year. The only relief I had was the field had no lights and it was starting to get dark.

We got through the top of the 7th and the home team was down by 3-4 runs. It was marginal, but since I played the top half I figured that I'd give it my best shot and maybe we'd get three quick outs.

Home coach (losing, mind you) came to me and said "it's awfully dark, don't you think?" I was, in a word, confused. I know the state doesn't have an adaptation to this and if I called the game the home team would lose (it was a 3-4 run leading heading into the top of the inning). In a moment of stupidity I mentioned this to the coach. He came back with "no it wouldn't be over, it would be suspended. I've been coaching for [blah, blah, blah]."

It was my ticket. The losing coach wanted it ended and he thought he was smarter than me, so I ended it. By this point it wasn't very light out anyway.

When I talked to the commissioner the next day, I asked him if he'd call the home coach and remind him that the game was official and that they lost. Of course this went up the chain to the state office, who verified this right away. Wonder if the coach learned anything from this. Probably my fault.

Umpmazza Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:00am

If the AD calls the game, im out of here, im not asking anymore questions...LOL i give to chits if he calls it or not.....

Rich Ives Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:26am

The umpire may "own" the game but the AD "owns" the field and he's the boss of one of the coaches. If he says the field is now closed - guess what?

PeteBooth Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:11pm

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaMike (Post 609278)
I had a freshman doubleheader today. Rain came in the 2nd inning and I suspended play in the bottom of the third because it was getting too wet and the pitcher was starting to have footing issues. Anyway, the field was still salvageable if the rain stopped soon, so of course I decided to wait for awhile to see what happened. The Athletic Director for the home school was there (which almost never happens), and he came up to me as the players were coming off the field and told me that he was calling the game.

Technically the AD cannot call the game so you simply go over to both coaches and say "game is called due to unplayable conditions" - end of story

You get paid a FULL game Fee so I really do not understand your problem.
Here you get to go home early and now you want to get into a pi***** match with AD.

Not good for your HS career.

I had a situation similar to another poster in that the game started at 4:30 PM. around 5:45 the HC comes over to me and says Pete we have the field until 6 PM and then we have to leave. I said you mean no new inning shall start to which he replied NO 6 PM Drop Dead Time no matter where we are. It was not a good varsity school so I was doing the game solo ( I know most varsity games always have 2 but believe me when I tell you this team was that bad)

6 PM the game stops and I go home a Fee and 1/2 richer after 1hr. 30 minutes work.

It will even out so when you get a chance to go home early - take it. No sense in getting into a pi***** match with an AD and in your case it made absolutely no sense.

Pete Booth