The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 12:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
The umpire may "own" the game but the AD "owns" the field and he's the boss of one of the coaches. If he says the field is now closed - guess what?
A report gets sent to the state office and the AD gets a phone call and perhaps a reprimand?
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 12:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

If the visiting team is OK with it, I couldn't see myself getting involved at all. Pocket cash, leave. However, the visiting team may not be thrilled with the idea of having to drive to a game and then be told by the home team that the game is now over. Isn't that why umpires have jurisdiction once the game starts?

That said, I probably wouldn't push it. I *might* file the report with the state or the conference commissioner (assignor) if I felt it necessary.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
If the visiting team is OK with it, I couldn't see myself getting involved at all. Pocket cash, leave. However, the visiting team may not be thrilled with the idea of having to drive to a game and then be told by the home team that the game is now over. Isn't that why umpires have jurisdiction once the game starts?

That said, I probably wouldn't push it. I *might* file the report with the state or the conference commissioner (assignor) if I felt it necessary.
All this over a rainy freshman game??? File a report??? WTF? Visiting team's feelings???

This isn't the big leagues!!

Bang the game.
Screw the visitors.
Take the money.
Go home early.

If its unplayable field, then what can you do about it?? Play big dick / small dick with the AD???

Totally not worth it. Learn from this and move on!

Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 01:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensaump View Post
All this over a rainy freshman game??? File a report??? WTF? Visiting team's feelings???

This isn't the big leagues!!

Bang the game.
Screw the visitors.
Take the money.
Go home early.

If its unplayable field, then what can you do about it?? Play big dick / small dick with the AD???

Totally not worth it. Learn from this and move on!

I don't work freshman games, so I suppose I lack perspective. I was looking at it from the perspective of a conference varsity game. Does that change the response?

I find it amazing that some people give it the whole "every game is important" attitude and at the same time other say "screw it - it's only a freshman game."
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 01:31pm

Quote:
The umpire may "own" the game but the AD "owns" the field and he's the boss of one of the coaches. If he says the field is now closed - guess what?
On what planet do athletic directors have property rights at a high school? They have no more say-so than the coach, the math teacher, or the janitor. I would call the game for my own convenience and profit, but not out of some sense that the AD was some authority over me. He may boss his school's coaches around, but I'll be damned if I let an AD run my business.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A report gets sent to the state office and the AD gets a phone call and perhaps a reprimand?
A reprimand for what? You think the owner (or his rep) of a field can't close it? You'd lose that one in court.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 01:36pm

Quote:
A reprimand for what? You think the owner (or his rep) of a field can't close it? You'd lose that one in court.
Nope, it's really not his call to make. But who would argue with free money?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 01:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
If they belong to a state association, they play by its rules. They don't have carte blanche to do whatever they want.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

What I find odd is those who say "All of this over a Feshman game?" Why send a reply than if you are not concerned with a Freshman game?

Is every game important? Yes it is to my wallet.

Would I argue with the AD? If I think there is a good chance to increase my wallet for the 2nd game, although it sounded like there wasn't a good chance so I would have gone home early.

Does the AD have any say so? No unless local rules or committees say so. Once game commences, the umpire has jurisdiction to prevent any unfair termination of the game such as HT takes lead in bottom of 5th inning. Then, they want to call it in the top of the 6th with a light sprinkle. That is why umpires get full jurisdiction when game starts and not the HT(AD). But, if the league associations agree to this, then AD has say so. But, that is based upon a local agreement and not all associations.

In this case, it sounds like I would have gone home with no problems. But, I would let the AD know I am calling the game and not him. So, he learns that he has no control over the next umpire who comes out and he thinks he can try it again b/c I didn't make that point clear enough.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If they belong to a state association, they play by its rules. They don't have carte blanche to do whatever they want.
They sure can close their field if they want. It's their field. Maybe the game gets suspended or forfeited, but you can't make them keep the field open.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 02:38pm
Stop staring at me swan.

If a school official comes to me and wants to stop a game because of weather or whatever, I'm done. I'll let the schools handle it with the state association and I'm getting paid. They can figure it out...much like the "innings pitched" rule...as far as I'm concerned, this pitcher can pitch as long as the coach keeps him in...they can handle it. Yes, by rule, the umpires have jurisdiction...sometimes I've had games where we try to be diplomatic with the AD's (both teams) and neither wants to make a decision so they leave it up to the umpires (since that's the rule) that's what I've experienced...I've never had a school official try to stop play sooner than what we or I've judged...though it certainly could happend. Sometimes we play at neutral sites and if the site manager says that the field is no longer playable or would be too expensive to get ready, etc...then we're done. Pretty simple, regardless of the level.

In our state tournament last week...the UIC and state association made all weather-related decisions...they told us that in our umpire pregame meeting.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PeteBooth;609383]
Quote:

Technically the AD cannot call the game so you simply go over to both coaches and say "game is called due to unplayable conditions" - end of story

You get paid a FULL game Fee so I really do not understand your problem.
Here you get to go home early and now you want to get into a pi***** match with AD.

Not good for your HS career.

I had a situation similar to another poster in that the game started at 4:30 PM. around 5:45 the HC comes over to me and says Pete we have the field until 6 PM and then we have to leave. I said you mean no new inning shall start to which he replied NO 6 PM Drop Dead Time no matter where we are. It was not a good varsity school so I was doing the game solo ( I know most varsity games always have 2 but believe me when I tell you this team was that bad)

6 PM the game stops and I go home a Fee and 1/2 richer after 1hr. 30 minutes work.

It will even out so when you get a chance to go home early - take it. No sense in getting into a pi***** match with an AD and in your case it made absolutely no sense.

Pete Booth
I generally agree with your assessment. I will admit that the AD aggravated me a bit, but I actually really wanted to see if we could get the games in. I still have a kid playing varsity HS ball, so I work my games in around his schedule. Plus, this is my first year back after about a five year absence so I really need the work to get my timing back. I only have about five doubleheaders this year so every game is pretty important to me. Granted, I was pretty sure that we weren't going to be able to finish, but I didn't think a ten minute wait was unreasonable. In the future, if an administrator wants to call it I'll let them, take my money and go home.

As far as pissing off the AD being bad for my HS career, I couldn't care less. I don't care if I ever work varsity baseball; I just want something to do to stay involved in the game after my son is done playing this summer. I'm perfectly happy working freshman and sophomore games. They have such a shortage of baseball umpires around here, if you have a pulse you can get work so I'm not too worried about being blacklisted. I work plenty of varsity games in basketball and that is good enough for me. I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 04:30pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
I know that I was correct that the UIC is the one who decides to call the game once it has started. Also, would you guys report this to your league assignor or would that be making a mountain out of a molehill?

You are only partially correct in your first sentence. Yes, you have that authority, but when the home AD tells you he wants to suspend the game because of weather conditions, be thankful you are working with an AD that is be proactive with regard to the weather. I have had games where the coaches and sometimes the home AD are irrational; they would play the game in the middle of a toronado if you let them. Take your game fee check and get home early. Remember, the home AD has the same liablity concerns that you do, and it appears that this AD had his head and tuchus wired together and was on the ball concerning the weather.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Jun 17, 2009 at 04:33pm. Reason: Edited last sentence.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
On what planet do athletic directors have property rights at a high school? They have no more say-so than the coach, the math teacher, or the janitor. I would call the game for my own convenience and profit, but not out of some sense that the AD was some authority over me. He may boss his school's coaches around, but I'll be damned if I let an AD run my business.
He's the official representative of the school.

I didn't say he has authority over you. I said he has authority over the use of the field. If you want to continue the game, fine - you just can't do it on that field.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He's the official representative of the school.

I didn't say he has authority over you. I said he has authority over the use of the field. If you want to continue the game, fine - you just can't do it on that field.
All of this arguing and the game continued(or would have) after the AD tried to call it. Hmmmmmmmmm.... Did he really have authority or just acting like it? Seems to have been acting since the umpire told him game is not called and he walked off mad.