Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Ump29,

If the pitcher were attempting to disengage, it would indeed be an illegal disengage and a balk with runners on base.

However, he was not attempting to disengage. He was initiating a pick-off move to 1B and he violated none of the balk proscriptions in doing so.

From the MLBUM:

Quote:
(i) It is legal for a right-handed pitcher to begin a pick-off move to first base by first moving his (pivot) foot in the direction of third base provided that he makes a legal step toward first base with the non-pivot foot before throwing there and provided that the move is continuous and without interruption. A pitcher who makes such a pick-off move is considered to be in contact with the rubber when he makes his throw to first base.
This interpretation is accepted at ALL levels.

JM
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Ump29,

If the pitcher were attempting to disengage, it would indeed be an illegal disengage and a balk with runners on base.

However, he was not attempting to disengage. He was initiating a pick-off move to 1B and he violated none of the balk proscriptions in doing so.

From the MLBUM:

This interpretation is accepted at ALL levels.

JM
Thank you all for your input. The "jab step" is really what the pitcher has been doing, with a clear description of it quoted above. And as I was reading through the NFHS rules last night (I don't have them infront of me now to reference), it stated that a pitcher could make a step with their pivot foot toward third, and then legally step with their free/non-pivot foot toward first and throw. So I guess I have found my correct answer.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The jab step and jump step are both legal moves at all levels. These are part of a pickoff move, and so not subject to the restrictions on disengaging.
I have yet to see the jab step described in FED or NCAA rules or casebooks, but I can find a reference to it in J/R. If you have FED or NCAA reference I would love to know where. I am not disagreeing that it's legal, just can't find proof.