The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

MiLB: New U1 mechanic?

OK, I've seen this several times this season, and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that PBUC has changed this.

As I was taught, on a ground ball to the infield with nobody on, U1 sets up at a 90° angle and 18-21 feet from the base for the play at 1B.

In every Eastern League (AA) game I've attended this year, that's not what the guys are doing. Regardless of where the ball has been hit, U1 has set up 25-30 feet from the base, and maybe 3-4 feet behind the baseline between 1B and 2B.

And yes, I checked, and he was about 1/3 of the way to 2B! And that's a much smaller angle than 90°.

I don't recall a ball hit to F4 moving to his left, so I haven't noticed whether this position gets tweaked when U1 "feels pressure."

Is this what PBUC is teaching now?
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

AA and above are now employing the MLB recommended technique of getting off the line and running toward the infielder throwing to get their angle/distance...If you go to the Advanced A or lower level you will see the technique you described.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjayfire View Post
AA and above are now employing the MLB recommended technique of getting off the line and running toward the infielder throwing to get their angle/distance...If you go to the Advanced A or lower level you will see the technique you described.
This is correct. And PBUC is teaching to be farther back from plays at 1st. At pro school it is taught 15-18 feet. In reality it is more 20-25 feet back. As far as the three man, which you saw, that is the correct way.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

This technique helps prevent abrupt head movement....
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 12:53pm

Here is a handy link to Northwest Umpire Association. Here you can take a long, extensive PBUC quiz series (complete with answers). Very interesting (as Arte Johnson used to say).
Amateur
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sun Jun 14, 2009 at 12:56pm.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
OK, I've seen this several times this season, and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that PBUC has changed this.

As I was taught, on a ground ball to the infield with nobody on, U1 sets up at a 90° angle and 18-21 feet from the base for the play at 1B.

In every Eastern League (AA) game I've attended this year, that's not what the guys are doing. Regardless of where the ball has been hit, U1 has set up 25-30 feet from the base, and maybe 3-4 feet behind the baseline between 1B and 2B.

And yes, I checked, and he was about 1/3 of the way to 2B! And that's a much smaller angle than 90°.

I don't recall a ball hit to F4 moving to his left, so I haven't noticed whether this position gets tweaked when U1 "feels pressure."

Is this what PBUC is teaching now?
I'm a tad confused... the whole purpose of being at 90° is so you can see if F3's foot is on the base and get in position for a swipe tag... It seems that getting to an angle that's more acute than 90° would straight-line you.

Maybe I'm not picturing the mechanic correctly...
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Here is a handy link to Northwest Umpire Association. Here you can take a long, extensive PBUC quiz series (complete with answers). Very interesting (as Arte Johnson used to say).
Amateur
Excellent link Steve.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

The more things change....

Men,

If I am not mistaken, and someone like Tee could back me up here, at one time in the 1970's, the "at 'em" philosophy was how people were taught to cover plays at 1B. Instead of the 90 deg. angle, you went at the player making the play. What you are describing sounds exactly like the "at 'em" mechanic is back in vogue.

Personally, I prefer the older mechanic, and I disagree with Chris about head movement, but to me, it is just one of those things that changes over the years. In 20 years, we will probably go back to the old 90 deg. angle on the play.

I really do not like the "at 'em" mechanic, at least for the levels most of us work at. AA professional baseball and up has a different player skill set than even DI College baseball. How many bad throws do they get a game? How many more wackers will they get at a game than we do?

And at the speed of the professional game, in a 3 man, U1 probably has to carry the BR to 2B on a lot of overthrows, so every step is precious for them. I would want to get as big a jump to 2B as I could in that situation too.

But for most of us, we have too many things going on at 1B to sacrifice our angle for more distance to 2B.

Am I off base here with these comments?
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 10:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Men,

If I am not mistaken, and someone like Tee could back me up here, at one time in the 1970's, the "at 'em" philosophy was how people were taught to cover plays at 1B. Instead of the 90 deg. angle, you went at the player making the play. What you are describing sounds exactly like the "at 'em" mechanic is back in vogue.

Personally, I prefer the older mechanic, and I disagree with Chris about head movement, but to me, it is just one of those things that changes over the years. In 20 years, we will probably go back to the old 90 deg. angle on the play.

I really do not like the "at 'em" mechanic, at least for the levels most of us work at. AA professional baseball and up has a different player skill set than even DI College baseball. How many bad throws do they get a game? How many more wackers will they get at a game than we do?

And at the speed of the professional game, in a 3 man, U1 probably has to carry the BR to 2B on a lot of overthrows, so every step is precious for them. I would want to get as big a jump to 2B as I could in that situation too.

But for most of us, we have too many things going on at 1B to sacrifice our angle for more distance to 2B.

Am I off base here with these comments?
Except that U3 will already be in the middle or will be coming to second on the infield grounder, so U1 will never have the BR into second on an infield grounder.