The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

The new MiLB mechanics

What is the feeling on the new MiLB mechanic(s) as taught at the MLB camp in Compton re; the new footwork for U1 in B, pick off attempt at 1st and only rotating with the right foot? That one I can kind of accept due to how fast the play goes down. The new one I cannot understand is same sit...R1, U1 in 'B'. Double play ball and U1 only rotatating and NOT gaining ground for the banger at 1st. Seems a big step (no pun intended) backward. I have had that exact mechanic covered on my eval several times that I don't gain enough ground. I have worked damn hard to get it right and now they are saying it's not necessary. Your thoughts.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
What is the feeling on the new MiLB mechanic(s) as taught at the MLB camp in Compton re; the new footwork for U1 in B, pick off attempt at 1st and only rotating with the right foot? That one I can kind of accept due to how fast the play goes down. The new one I cannot understand is same sit...R1, U1 in 'B'. Double play ball and U1 only rotatating and NOT gaining ground for the banger at 1st. Seems a big step (no pun intended) backward. I have had that exact mechanic covered on my eval several times that I don't gain enough ground. I have worked damn hard to get it right and now they are saying it's not necessary. Your thoughts.

1. Neither mechanic is new. The first was taught at PBUC two years ago, the other was taught last year.

2. PBUC mechanics are designed for professional baseball...a faster game. The emphasis is on getting into position quickly and coming set, standing or HOK, and seeing the play from a stable position.

eidted to add:

My error in reading the O.P. on the second part of #2. Last year PBUC still taught gaining a better angle and a little distance on the back end of the of the double play. Are you saying that they are teaching NOT to open the angle OR get closer? Evaluators were not doing that even at the end of last season.

Last edited by Ump153; Fri Dec 05, 2008 at 10:04am.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

OK...My College and HS unit only adopted it this year as it was recently passed on at our Fall clinic. I attended the WRUC in Oct. and no mention of it was made. Is it being widely adapted? The double play mechanic was hotly contested by the instructors as to "this is the new mechanic, but it's bull sh1+". I guess my question should have been, how many assoc. are adapting it? I know each unit is different but at what point is it "standard."
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK...My College and HS unit only adopted it this year as it was recently passed on at our Fall clinic. I attended the WRUC in Oct. and no mention of it was made. Is it being widely adapted? The double play mechanic was hotly contested by the instructors as to "this is the new mechanic, but it's bull sh1+". I guess my question should have been, how many assoc. are adapting it? I know each unit is different but at what point is it "standard."
the WRUC and the NCUS were 3 man camps.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you feel from the "B" position you cant see the play at 1st?
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 09:53am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
What is the feeling on the new MiLB mechanic(s) as taught at the MLB camp in Compton re; the new footwork for U1 in B, pick off attempt at 1st and only rotating with the right foot? .
I've done it this way for years - but only because I'm too slow to move any differently.

As for not heading toward first on the back end of the DP...I was taught to start moving that direction as soon as the ball was hit. Now I can slow down even more!

JJ