The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHanneman View Post
Was working a travel 15 game, my last game of 7 for the tournament, and I'm thinking how good of a job I'm doing so far in the tourney (my fourth year umping). This was pretty good baseball, anways, I'm PU and the visitors are up to bat in the last inning, down by 5 runs, runner on 3rd, 2 outs and the count is 3-0. Next two pitches I call strikes and the head coach goes bezerk. Walking all the way down from the 3rd base coaches box, screaming- and I mean screaming- about the last two strike calls. I call time, take off my mask and take a couple of steps so we are face to face and calmly tell him he can't argue balls and strikes. Still screaming- he says he's not arguing balls and strikes, the freaking (yeah, said freaking instead of fu**ing) ball was in the dirt. I look at him without saying anything else, and he turns around to walk back to the coaches box, still complaining about the calls. The runner ends up walking, the next batter strikes out swinging and game over.
My question, should I have ejected the guy, which I didn't because it was toward the end of game, he may have had a point (my partner didn't offer any help postgame as to whether the pitches were clearly balls), and I didn't want the coach to have to sit out the next game of the tourney.
Looking for experienced guys to guide me here.
Thanks.
I like Steve's approach. I would never give the coach a chance to get in my face. If he's screaming and coming to me, he's ejected, same as if a coach is running on the field.

Not much of a partner who can't tell you honestly if the pitches were ball, strike or close - hopefully he was watching ... (g)

Thanks
David
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

You're only second guessing yourself, because you did'nt toss him.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
You did right....he vented; it was late in the game....all's well that ends well...
Are you serious? Or did you not want the OPoster to feel alone on this one?
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
the head coach goes bezerk. Walking all the way down from the 3rd base coaches box, screaming- and I mean screaming- about the last two strike calls. I look at him without saying anything else, and he turns around to walk back to the coaches box, still complaining about the calls.
There is a difference between a coach venting and a coach going ballistic.

Since you had a tournament did you talk to other umpires who had this coach? Was he a pain in the you know what every game but no umpire took care of the problem.

I echo another poster. If this coach keeps 'walking" then eventually some other crew will have to handle things. It's one thing to let off steam it's quite another to go ballistic and ALSO walk all the way down from the 3rd base coaches box.

As soon as the coach went ballistic you should have called TIME and then said THAT'S ENOUGH. If he continued then you dump him. From my experience coaches do not all of a sudden change behaviors. It's my gut that this coach gave some others a hard time as well and no one took care of the problem. Eventually someone does.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

And for grins, don't forget the case of the eliminated team having someone using their elimination as a cloak to unload. A post game ejection is still valid and reportable from my perspective. Those that are CS enough to use that time to play the blame game are a step below those that lose it during a game and need to be dealt with.

Had a post game toss last night...
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

I did not speak to other umpires about the coach, the tournament was spread out through different fields/towns. I can see by all the responses (thanks for all that responded), that I should have ejected him. I didn't realize that by not ejecting, he will be more likely to keep doing it and I'm passing my problem along to another crew. My eyes have been opened and the feedback is much appreciated.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not speak to other umpires about the coach, the tournament was spread out through different fields/towns. I can see by all the responses (thanks for all that responded), that I should have ejected him. I didn't realize that by not ejecting, he will be more likely to keep doing it and I'm passing my problem along to another crew. My eyes have been opened and the feedback is much appreciated.
Nice!
Now you are learning! Never pass a problem on to another crew - eject when it is called for!
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
The only EJ's I regret are the couple I didn't pull the trigger on.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
The only EJ's I regret are the couple I didn't pull the trigger on.
Harrumph!
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

A coach leaves the box and screams at me about anything and he is done. No warning is necessary.

Last edited by jwwashburn; Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 12:43am.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Best advice tip!

Quote:
and I'm thinking how good of a job I'm doing so far in the tourney .
Don't do that!
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp View Post
Are you serious? Or did you not want the OPoster to feel alone on this one?
Basically, I am serious...after he vents, IF he quits.....no problem in my opinion...IF he continues, he gets dumped regardless of the amount of game time left....I give him "That's enough Coach," and we move on...unless he continues, and then he's gone.....
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 07:50pm

Quote:
Basically, I am serious...after he vents, IF he quits.....no problem in my opinion...IF he continues, he gets dumped regardless of the amount of game time left....I give him "That's enough Coach," and we move on...unless he continues, and then he's gone.....
In the OP, the coach left his position in the coaches box and came down to the umpire to argue balls and strikes. This is an automatic ejection. He can bark a little from his box (or dugout), but when he approaches the umpire to argue balls and strikes, he's done.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
In the OP, the coach left his position in the coaches box and came down to the umpire to argue balls and strikes. This is an automatic ejection. He can bark a little from his box (or dugout), but when he approaches the umpire to argue balls and strikes, he's done.
I am sorry, and I guess I am the lone exception....but in HS ball, Varsity level, I will NOT dump the coach if he leaves the box and argues balls and strikes, THE FIRST TIME. He is very quickly going to get the warning...."That's enough Coach, we're done discussing balls and strikes!" The next word on the subject, and he's gone....That's my philosophy, and for me, it works....I NEVER have to look a coach, or another umpire, in the eye, and feel bad for ejecting or not ejecting.....I think you're WAY too quick if you jack 'em on the first leaving, even if they know the rules.....Just my opinion, and like I said, it works for me.....
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am sorry, and I guess I am the lone exception....but in HS ball, Varsity level, I will NOT dump the coach if he leaves the box and argues balls and strikes, THE FIRST TIME. He is very quickly going to get the warning...."That's enough Coach, we're done discussing balls and strikes!" The next word on the subject, and he's gone....That's my philosophy, and for me, it works....I NEVER have to look a coach, or another umpire, in the eye, and feel bad for ejecting or not ejecting.....I think you're WAY too quick if you jack 'em on the first leaving, even if they know the rules.....Just my opinion, and like I said, it works for me.....
Fine and dandy....but, you would allow one to scream at you?

I would never want to be partnered up with an umpire that would allow a rat to leave the coaching box and scream about pitches. Do it for your partner if not for yourself!