The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I saw it out of the corener of my eye.

I am coaching my son's 9-u team in a tournament. They can leave the base when the pitcher lets go of the ball.

We have a coach that has also coached girl's Fastpitch and the leadoff is the same. He taught ofur guys a good technique and they get a good push off of the base. Opposing coaches usually don't like this.

Any wayyyyyyy, Friday night we stole 2nd base twice in the first inning even though they had a catcher with a pretty good arm. The defensive coach yells: Are ya gonna let them leave early all night?

The next kid stole and the Home Plate Umpire called time(by the way, the signal for time is: mask in right hand and left fist with the arm at a 90 degree angle...to think I have been putting both hands over my head all of these years) he says: "The runner must go back to first, he left too early...this is your only warning!" I replied: "Mr. Umpire, how are you watching that from back there?" Him: I saw it out of the corner of my eye! I looked at him and said-I am not joking: "I cannot wait to see what San Diego Steve says about this play. He looked at me quite oddly.

Joe In Missouri
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

If you have two-man mechanics, I am gonna let the BU have this call all the way. If I am alone, I can watch for the runner leaving early FROM THE CORNER OF MY EYE. We do it all the time, in many circumstances. But they have to leave REALLY early to get that call, because "from the corner of my eye" gives me only an idea they left early and not total certainty. That's why they have to really be abusing it before I call it alone.....
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 12:44pm

San Diego Steve sez:

If I'm working alone, and that call is my responsibiliy, the runner would have to leave mighty early, like 3 or 4 steps, before I would consider calling that. Why would the umpire be looking at anything but the pitcher. I was always taught to let the ball take your eyes where they need to be, so I'm focused on the baseball, and what Shifty McCheat is doing with that ball on the mound. If I see the runner take off with my peripheral vision, then great. Otherwise, I ain't lookin' for it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
If I'm working alone, and that call is my responsibility, the runner would have to leave mighty early, like 3 or 4 steps, before I would consider calling that.
I agree with Steve from San Diego. It's got to be a gross infraction before I'm calling it. "Coach, you want that call? - pay for a second umpire."
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

I forgot to mention that there was a guy out in the field during the game that was not on our team and did not appear to be on the other team either. He was older than nine and players are not supposed to use cell phones on the field, are they? Maybe he was the base umpire?
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

I called it twice last week in a game I did solo. Once at first and once at second. It's not that hard to do.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I am coaching my son's 9-u team in a tournament. They can leave the base when the pitcher lets go of the ball.

The next kid stole and the Home Plate Umpire called time(by the way, the signal for time is: mask in right hand and left fist with the arm at a 90 degree angle...to think I have been putting both hands over my head all of these years) he says: "The runner must go back to first, he left too early...this is your only warning!" I replied: "Mr. Umpire, how are you watching that from back there?" Him: I saw it out of the corner of my eye! I looked at him and said-I am not joking: "I cannot wait to see what San Diego Steve says about this play. He looked at me quite oddly.

Joe In Missouri
Well Joe , its not only obvious that you have no respect for a fellow official but in a 9 and under tourament, your also setting a poor example of how the kids shouldnt have any respect for them either. And then the gall to come on this site and brag about it.

Way to go Joe, your the man.....?
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They can leave the base when the pitcher lets go of the ball.
What rule set allows runners to leave the bag when the pitcher releases the ball?
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Well Joe , its not only obvious that you have no respect for a fellow official but in a 9 and under tourament, your also setting a poor example of how the kids shouldnt have any respect for them either. And then the gall to come on this site and brag about it.

Way to go Joe, your the man.....?
jicecone: I guess I should have been a little more clear. I went and talked to the Home Plate Umpire and he is the only person that heard me because I was talking only to him. We have a very strict rule with our team about messing with umpires. They are not to question their calls or even make a face at them.

Do I have any respect for a guy that wore an umpire uniform, had no idea what he was doing and lied to me about a call? No, I do not. Do I have any respect for his wandering moron partner with the cell phone on the field? No, I do not.

However, I treated them with the respect that they had not earned. I did not yell at the moron. I calmly talked to him. When he lied to me, I made the smart alleck remark about San Diego Steve and walked away.

Joe in Missouri
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I called it twice last week in a game I did solo. Once at first and once at second. It's not that hard to do.
Especially when you do not bother yourself with watching the pitch.

How in the world can you watch the pitcher and the runner on first base at the same time from your position behind home plate?

Unless the infraction was remarkably early, there is no way you can see it.

Joe
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
What rule set allows runners to leave the bag when the pitcher releases the ball?

Different associations call it different things...but, it what I have seen for most 9u tournaments and leagues. Why they do not use the Little League rule, I do not know. I think Little League allows the runner to leave once the ball is hit or gets to Home Plate?
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Especially when you do not bother yourself with watching the pitch.

How in the world can you watch the pitcher and the runner on first base at the same time from your position behind home plate?

Unless the infraction was remarkably early, there is no way you can see it.

Joe
I'll tell you what Joe, it really isn't that hard to do. I'm guessing you've never umpired a game from behind the dish before. That's okay, but please understand we've got a heck of a view from back there.

Plus, 9 year olds aren't really dealing too hard. So seeing the base runners is quite easy. My criteria for leaving early(LL) is even harder than yours, so the umpire in your game had it easy.

One tip: don't ever use the "Mr. Umpire" for addressing us, as you'll sound like one of your tot players. Use our first name, and get it at the plate meeting. We're much more responsive to first names, as opposed to "Blue". Although I've become quite fond of "Your Honor".
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

I don't see that it would be that difficult to check (pay attention to your peripheral vision) the runner when F1 is about 1/2 way through the wind-up and still get back to see the pitch from a 9-year old. I agree that the benefit of the doubt goes to the runner.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
kylejt;607223] I'll tell you what Joe, it really isn't that hard to do. I'm guessing you've never umpired a game from behind the dish before. That's okay, but please understand we've got a heck of a view from back there. [/B]
I'll tell ya what, Kyle. You, of course, have guessed way wrong. I have umpired more games than i care to remember behind the plate in baseball. I watch the ball so that I can call balls and strikes. If a runner left WAY early, I would probably notice. I have also umpired many hundreds of Fastpitch Softball games behind the plate and guess what? I watch the pitcher, there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
kylejt;607223]Plus, 9 year olds aren't really dealing too hard. So seeing the base runners is quite easy. My criteria for leaving early(LL) is even harder than yours, so the umpire in your game had it easy.
Well, he should have had it easy because it was not even his call. He had a "partner" in the field(of course that guy was even than him.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
kylejt;607223]One tip: don't ever use the "Mr. Umpire" for addressing us, as you'll sound like one of your tot players. Use our first name, and get it at the plate meeting. We're much more responsive to first names, as opposed to "Blue". Although I've become quite fond of "Your Honor".
I had to instigate the pre-game meeting or it never would have happened. I did not catch his name even though I introduced myself to him, I figured Mr. Umpire was a good substitute. I have never once on a field been offended by being called Mr. Umpire.

Furthermore, my runner did not leave early. From my vantage point in coaching first base, I actually can see the ball and the runner. The kid right before the one that he called actually did leave early by a hair.

Joe in Missouri

Last edited by jwwashburn; Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 09:24am.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
jicecone: I guess I should have been a little more clear. I went and talked to the Home Plate Umpire and he is the only person that heard me because I was talking only to him. We have a very strict rule with our team about messing with umpires. They are not to question their calls or even make a face at them.

Do I have any respect for a guy that wore an umpire uniform, had no idea what he was doing and lied to me about a call? No, I do not. Do I have any respect for his wandering moron partner with the cell phone on the field? No, I do not.

However, I treated them with the respect that they had not earned. I did not yell at the moron. I calmly talked to him. When he lied to me, I made the smart alleck remark about San Diego Steve and walked away.

Joe in Missouri
OOOOORRRRRR, try this for size.

Don't say anything about the call and after the game speak to the umpires and tell them about your vast experience and diplomatically see if you could help ,what was obviously two inexperienced officials. They may not be receptive to your advice but at least you tried. Hey maybe some day they will pursue this officiating thing and be your partner. What are you going to do then? Every chance I ever had to teach other officials something, I took advantage of. And yes there are some ole geisers (like me) that are STILL learning.

Remember, we are expected to be perfect our very first game and get better from there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a nice day