The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you walk or run to your position at the start of a new inning
I run, like they teach in school 24 68.57%
I prefer to walk back while they throw it around the horn 3 8.57%
It depends on the level of baseball 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer to jog back to position. I can't honestly say that I do it EVERY time. We've asked them to hustle on and off the field. We should do the same.

I don't necessarily jog out to RF, but will from there to the line.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
I have heard the term "false hustle". Please explain this term and give all "false hustle" examples you could think of with your vast experience. Thanks.
Why would you ask that question of one who did not use the term?
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

As BU:

I hustle (jog) to short right after the plate conference and at the end of each half inning. After the throwdown, I jog to A. If I am in B or C when the bases clear either by runners scoring or being put out, I jog to A. From A, I jog to B on a hit batsman or base on balls and beat the B/R obtaining first.

As PU:

If I've gone to the library or third, I jog back to the plate. After trailing the runner to first, I jog back to the plate, After breaking up a conference at the mound, I jog back to the plate. If I've had to cover my end of a rundown, I jog back to the plate when it's over.

I don't need to jog to the plate from the line to start an inning becuase when there are "two left", I take a couple of steps toward the plate when I signal the pitcher. When there is one left, I talk a couple more steps when I signal the on deck batter. By the time of the throw down, I don't have far to go,

I've never heard a coach or another umpire say of an umpire: He's an excellent umpire, he just doesn't hustle.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sun Jun 07, 2009 at 08:39pm.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 09:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I've never heard a coach or another umpire say of an umpire: He's an excellent umpire, he just doesn't hustle.
I'm sure there are a few that have thought of me, "Steve sure hustles good, but he really sucks!"
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post

As PU a couple of years ago, I ran to 3B to cover any play there as I was supposed to do given the situation. I stopped, play stopped and I turned to walk (yes I walked, at least part of the way) back to the plate. As I went past the coach in the 3b dug out he said, "Nice hustle, blue" I was stunned.

Never heard it prior, haven't heard it since.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 08:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
As PU a couple of years ago, I ran to 3B to cover any play there as I was supposed to do given the situation. I stopped, play stopped and I turned to walk (yes I walked, at least part of the way) back to the plate. As I went past the coach in the 3b dug out he said, "Nice hustle, blue" I was stunned.

Never heard it prior, haven't heard it since.
Some coaches are genuinely stunned when they see the plate guy bust his a$s to 3rd base. Many have grown used to seeing the guys who watch the grass grow by the plate.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I usually hear it once or twice a year after covering third. It's nice to hear something positive amidst all the.....suggestions to improve?