The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

View Poll Results: Do you walk or run to your position at the start of a new inning
I run, like they teach in school 24 68.57%
I prefer to walk back while they throw it around the horn 3 8.57%
It depends on the level of baseball 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 11:44pm

Run or walk?

I was thinking about this and wondering...do you prefer to hustle to position A from the outfield grass after the catcher sends it down to start the inning, or do you just walk over to the line?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

I hustle to every positition allowing the distance that needs to be covered determine the pace.

An instructor at school used to say, "Never walk when you can run."
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 12:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
I hustle to every positition allowing the distance that needs to be covered determine the pace.

Do you even run from the line to the plate at the start of a new inning when working the dish? I've never seen that one!
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 12:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Run most of the time. But there are times when I might walk when balls are flying from the outfield to someone off the field. Then I am just aware of where the balls are flying and I might walk as I am looking over my shoulder. The bottom line, it depends.

Peace
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

I will use the exact speed needed to get me into position for the next situation. Walk, jog, sprint or mosey whatever it takes.

In this situation, I've got plenty of time to walk. Gotta pace yourself out there.

That's cute. So he'd never walk on the field, eh? How about when he leaves? Full on sprint? I mean, is there a real need to run, if you're not holding up the game?

Don't get me wrong. I'm an ex-bicycle road racer/triathlete (and no slouch, either), so I can amble around the diamond better than most. But some times, there's just no need.

Just don't be like that old knucklehead a few years back in the Little League World Series, who was more worried about hustling to his next position, that he forgot to do the only thing he was tasked to in a six man crew. Watch second base.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Do you even run from the line to the plate at the start of a new inning when working the dish? I've never seen that one!

As I said, "I hustle to every positition allowing the distance that needs to be covered to determine the pace.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post

That's cute. So he'd never walk on the field, eh? How about when he leaves? Full on sprint? I mean, is there a real need to run, if you're not holding up the game?
Yes, we jog onto the field at the beginning and off the field at the end.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

If your full time job requires you to run, you run, if not, be in the correct position to make the call, at the right time.

If some instructor told you to wear one pant leg up and one down , would you do it? Are you ever allowed to blow your nose on the field? Are you allowed to wear a different color t-shirt if you feel like it? Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bedpost overnite? Yadi yadi yadi, Cum by ah!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

I always hustle. I make it a point to reach B position on a walk before the runner gets to first. Same thing between inning, I jog from my right field position to A on the throw down pitch.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

I am just assuming that "run" in the poll, would include jogging. I don't run flat out in a sprint to A from RF, but I do jog. It shows hustle to both teams, and helps with the perception of my team.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 12:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
I am just assuming that "run" in the poll, would include jogging. I don't run flat out in a sprint to A from RF, but I do jog. It shows hustle to both teams, and helps with the perception of my team.
Yes, I meant sprint, jog or hustle when I said "run." (you're choice) Sorry for the confusion.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Slowly as I move into my new career as an umpire evaluator I will tell you my own personal standard:

When an inning ends and the BU is anywhere "inside" he will run into his between inning location in short right field (two crew system).

When the catcher throws the ball down to start a new inning the BU will run to "A".

When in "A" and a batter is either walked or hit by pitch the BU will run into the infield and attempt to be at "B" before the BR reaches first base.

It takes no ability to hustle.

If an umpire cannot attain the three requirements listed above he will be penalized on his evaluation.

Regards,
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Walk briskly, between innings, to get to outfield position and from there back to A. I count pitches so I know when to start moving so there is no delay.

Jog from position to position during relaxed play, such as A to B after a walk.

Run whenever the players are running.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Slowly as I move into my new career as an umpire evaluator I will tell you my own personal standard:

When an inning ends and the BU is anywhere "inside" he will run into his between inning location in short right field (two crew system).

When the catcher throws the ball down to start a new inning the BU will run to "A".

When in "A" and a batter is either walked or hit by pitch the BU will run into the infield and attempt to be at "B" before the BR reaches first base.

If an umpire cannot attain the three requirements listed above he will be penalized on his evaluation.

Regards,
I knew you'd understand.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

Regards,
I have heard the term "false hustle". Please explain this term and give all "false hustle" examples you could think of with your vast experience. Thanks.