The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
If the Smitty shirts are anywhere near the quality of their pants, I will be stocking up on a few colors. I love the pants Purchase Officials has the best prices that I've seen for both the Smitty pants and shirts.

And in case anybody hasn't already heard this, Ump-Attire has the Reebok low-cut plate shoes on sale right now for $69.99. They are making room for the new improved model.
I really like Smitty's shirts. The large fits great over my CP. The only problem is that the medium is just a bit small for the bases. Maybe I'll start using a large for both if I get more of them.

My black Dalco shirt was torn last weekend. A ball hit the shirt where the clip is on the CP.

I'm going to get either the Honigs or Smitty to replace it.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Smitty's is the only brand that I have tried that doesn't require me to wear two sizes. I still do mostly, but in a couple of the colors that I had to put patches on, I only wear an XL, and it's not too loose on the bases, or too tight around the CP. The fabric is very comfortable and forgiving.

With most brands that are seriously oversized, I wear a L on the bases and a XL at the plate. The Smitty's are only slightly oversized, so I go XL and XXL. But like I said, I can get away with just the XL in that particular brand.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 09:05am.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Well, based on the posts I have read so far it looks the Smitty shirts or Cliff Keen shirts are the best ones out there right now.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I bought a Smitty to replace my shirt that was torn a couple of weeks ago. They're my favorite at this point.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 10:07am

My gray and black Smitty shirts should arrive today, and also my new Reebok plate shoes. I can't wait to try them out this weekend.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I have always bought from Honigs and Gerry Davis. Maybe because I haven't found anywhere else who provides the level of service that they do? I have personal contacts at both and feel very secure in what they offer. The only exception was buying my plate and base shoes direct from New Balance.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
I have always bought from Honigs and Gerry Davis. Maybe because I haven't found anywhere else who provides the level of service that they do? I have personal contacts at both and feel very secure in what they offer. The only exception was buying my plate and base shoes direct from New Balance.
Ump-Attire and Between the Lines are both very good as well.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 05:48pm

I ordered my shoes and hats from Ump-Attire on Monday and they arrived today. I also ordered my shirts from Purchase Officials on Monday, and they also arrived today. Excellent service from both places every time I order. I have everything sent Priority Mail from the post office, which is much cheaper than UPS 2nd day air and the same delivery time.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I ordered my shoes and hats from Ump-Attire on Monday and they arrived today. I also ordered my shirts from Purchase Officials on Monday, and they also arrived today. Excellent service from both places every time I order. I have everything sent Priority Mail from the post office, which is much cheaper than UPS 2nd day air and the same delivery time.
I forgot about Purchase Officials Northeast. I also ordered a shirt from them and got it quickly. I've bought several things from them in the past, and they're top notch as well.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

The Purchase Officials guy, Mike Shields, is a real pro. They have a poor web presence like Lester's, but they are very professional and reliable.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

One of the main units in our area is showing signs of going to black and MLB blue at the high school level in 2010. It sounds like navy, powder and navy caps and ball bags are all finally going to be out. Also, it looks like they're thinking of relaxing the all-black shoe standard as well.

For those of us who wear black whenever allowed, it's good to see. I've also been waiting to try those Reeboks.
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
One of the main units in our area is showing signs of going to black and MLB blue at the high school level in 2010. It sounds like navy, powder and navy caps and ball bags are all finally going to be out. Also, it looks like they're thinking of relaxing the all-black shoe standard as well.

For those of us who wear black whenever allowed, it's good to see. I've also been waiting to try those Reeboks.
Around here, you can pretty much wear what you want in the spring as long as you match, but a bunch of guys either A) Don't want to buy other color shirts, B) Are too cheap to buy them, or C) Don't know anything besides navy and powder blue (softball blue) exist. It's kind of frustrating when you have to wear navy all the time.
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Around here, you can pretty much wear what you want in the spring as long as you match, but a bunch of guys either A) Don't want to buy other color shirts, B) Are too cheap to buy them, or C) Don't know anything besides navy and powder blue (softball blue) exist. It's kind of frustrating when you have to wear navy all the time.
... It's that way here, too. And it goes just like you described about the default colors---A, B and C. One of the reasons I carry two of every color is so I have a plate size and a base size. But another reason is so that a partner can borrow one and we can wear the color I prefer (black or gray). But the new regulations---if they go into effect---will just eliminate navy and powder as the default color scheme (along with the navy ball bags and cap).
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Funny story about uniforms and the all-black shoe debate...

A fellow umpire was selected to work the Final Four for the state tournament, which is held locally. The state office told the umpires working these games that they need to wear all black shoes, so my friend couldn't wear his Reebok base shoes, and instead wears some all black basketball referee shoes. So I'm looking at a photo album online from the state championships. In one of the pictures of the umpires, the three guys (Not the crew my friend was on) are wearing three different styles of navy jackets. One with the red/white stripes, one with the powder stripes, and one that's all navy.

I want to know who the guy is at the state level who is an all black shoe Nazi but will let three guys walk on the field for a state championship game in three different jackets.
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

I always just go with what is preferred by leadership. They want creased caps and all-black shoes, that's what I wear. I just hope they relax the all-black shoe thng so we can all try the Reeboks.