The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacodee View Post
I agree... While Honigs has "OK" shirts, I'd prefer not to have their logo on my back. I can live with the Cliff Keen logo on the left sleeve. CK is small and one barely notices it. But the Honigs logo, right above my US flag doesn't look too good.
And the CK logo is easily removable, as I have done on all my shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
If these are anywhere near the quality of the other Cliff Keen shirts I own, I'm sure they are just great. Love me some Cliff Keen shirts!
Absolutely. The color holds up better, and they are more comfortable. I still have two navy and one powder shirts I got from them in 1998, and the navy ones are still my regular-use navy shirts. The only reason I have a Honig's shirt is because CK had a little boo-boo on their MLB blue shirts and I needed one in a hurry to match my partner.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

I have been told by an MiLB friend of mine that the new shirts they were issued this year are a softer, stretchier material (more comfortable for those who choose to not wear an undershirt), but they are cut larger. His large from the previous season fits perfectly, but the large this season is too big, so keep that in mind if you order a new one this year. Also, there is no black logo patch on the navy blue shirts, just in case that hadn't been made clear previously.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

I bought a light blue long sleeve and a polo blue and they both had the patch logo, but I didn't notice anything different about the material. I realized I could probably take the patch off if I wanted to, and I'm thinking about doing it. I like Honig's shirts, but it seems everyone has a preference.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
I own two of these, one in navy and the other in powder blue. They are surprisingly light (perfect for hot days since about half our HS chapter doesn't own powder blue) but are really prone to wrinkling because of the nature of the "performance" fabric. If you're used to folding shirts neatly and putting them in your equipment bag, you'll pull out a giant wrinkle; these seem to work lots better on hangers.

My biggest issue with them is that the powder shirt has two giant worn spots in the front where it rubs against the clips on my chest protector, and it's probably only been worn four times. The material has frayed and nearly come unraveled and if I were to wear that shirt on the bases it'd be really obvious. I haven't worn the navy shirt on the plate yet and it is in good shape after a half-dozen or so washings.

That said, I've never had anything but good dealings with Lester's, I used to make the trip every other year to stock up when I lived in western NY.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

I worked with someone this weekend who was wearing the CK version of "polo" (or "MLB") blue. He said it was a new shirt. It wasn't the right color. It was more like the old powder blue, but also seemed to have a "greenish" tint to it (I dodn't have any of the powder blue shirts with me to compare).
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BaBa Booey;606332]I have been told by an MiLB friend of mine that the new shirts they were issued this year are a softer, stretchier material (more comfortable for those who choose to not wear an undershirt),

These two items don't seem to go together.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I worked with someone this weekend who was wearing the CK version of "polo" (or "MLB") blue. He said it was a new shirt. It wasn't the right color. It was more like the old powder blue, but also seemed to have a "greenish" tint to it (I dodn't have any of the powder blue shirts with me to compare).
Laundry problem causing the off-color?
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Laundry problem causing the off-color?
Doubtful.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
If these are anywhere near the quality of the other Cliff Keen shirts I own, I'm sure they are just great. Love me some Cliff Keen shirts!
have to look at those, CK always has a nice shirt.

And Lester's is great to work with also.

Thansk
David
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 11:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
have to look at those, CK always has a nice shirt.

And Lester's is great to work with also.

Thansk
David
The old CK shirts were way too thick. I used to wear them until I fell in love with the Honig's shirts a few years ago.

I don't like the patch on the back, but I like the shirts otherwise. I'm a creature of habit. I buy Honig's for baseball, football knickers, and basketball pants. I buy the Smitty striped shirts.

As far as Honig's sizes go, I can't really tell cause I've lost a fair amount of weight since last season. I do know that I'm a 44 suit coat (bought one last week) and a L shirt on the bases fits just fine (XL on the plate). This is in contrast to their online sizing guide, BTW.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The old CK shirts were way too thick. I used to wear them until I fell in love with the Honig's shirts a few years ago.
Same experience here. I have older shirts by CK and Majestic that are just to heavy. I don't like the material on either of them and I've been happy with Honigs over the years. I am open to trying the CK again if they've changed.

I like the feel of the CK micro mesh football shirts but the black has lost some of its crispness. It's really apparent when you see it hanging next to one of my shirts from Honigs.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 11:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The old CK shirts were way too thick.
Quote:
Same experience here. I have older shirts by CK and Majestic that are just to heavy. I don't like the material on either of them and I've been happy with Honigs over the years.
I guess everyone has different tastes, but I like the thickness of those shirts, and I especially like the stretchyness, or "give" that they have. Almost like the old "Ban-Lon" material that polo style shirts used to feature back in the day.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 11:51am

I also have a Logo Athletic navy blue shirt that is still in good shape, as well as a +POS micro-mesh navy blue in great shape. I can now fit into them again as base shirts, and by next season should be able to use them both for the plate! Like the Wicked Witch once said, "I'm melting!"
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 11:53am.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
What do you wear? CK?
I wear (have worn) several different brands in many colors: Honig's, PlusPOS, Dalco, Majestic, Smitty's, Logo, Cliff Keen, Cliff Keen-Gerry Davis, Official's Choice. I constantly rotate, so they never really get worn out or faded. I try a lot of brands, but no one brand is really exceptional--even the high-priced ones like Honig's and Cliff Keen. I haven't tried the new Ump-Attire brand, because I don't need any more navy shirts. (I'll get yet another black one when they start making them.)

I can say that the shirt with the most uncomfortable fabric and the shoddiest workmanship is the Gerry Davis Signature shirt made by Cliff Keen. The regular Cliff Keen is a good (not great) shirt, but not at its inflated price. The GD version is dreadful. I won't even give it away; it just sits on a shelf. I can't believe CK put their name and logo on it. (Gerry Davis, I can believe.)

Comfort really depends on the weather. If it's over 100 degrees, the thinnest, lightest one is the most comfortable. But overall, the most comfortable, durable and best performing shirt is probably Smitty's or Majestic. The Smitty's is a little thinner than the Majestic, but not as thin as Official's Choice or Dalco, which is what you wear when it's really hot. And it's a better value. Official's Choice shirts of several years ago had a different fabric than the see-through fabric that they now produce. I had navy, cream and powder in the early-issue fabric and they are okay to wear in the heat. But I wouldn't go near anything Official's Choice made in the last two years (non-standard colors and trim styles, in addition to that awful see-through fabric.) But if I get stuck wearing powder or cream, I wear those. I prefer gray or MLB polo blue in the heat, and I have those colors in Dalco, Smitty's or PlusPOS (which is another favorite).

I have fun with all the brands and colors. I like to match no matter what color is called for. I like to have a clean shirt no matter how many games I work in a week, and I like to have a nice, crisp, new-looking shirt no matter what. Also, some of the assignments require shirts without patches, so I have sets of black and MLB blue with and without patches. It's worth a few extra bucks to have plenty of shirts, and it's also worth it to have each color in two sizes for plate and base work.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 12:04pm.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

This is hilarious. It's part of the latest Official's Choice semi-coherent email campaign: