The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Honig's Shirts - CWS (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53456-honigs-shirts-cws.html)

mrm21711 Mon Jun 01, 2009 02:25pm

Honig's Shirts - CWS

Anybody else notice the big black patch with Honig's logo in white on the back of the polo blue shirts being worn by the CWS umpires? I thought it looked hideous and tacky. Any comments?

Ump Rube Mon Jun 01, 2009 03:05pm

From what I have heard elsewhere. Honigs moved to a different manufacturer that used this "nameplate" style for the logo. I understand they have changed back to the old manufacturer but will probably not release the new shirts until all the old are gone.

bob jenkins Mon Jun 01, 2009 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm21711 (Post 606007)
Anybody else notice the big black patch with Honig's logo in white on the back of the polo blue shirts being worn by the CWS umpires? I thought it looked hideous and tacky. Any comments?

As I understand it, that's the "standard" for Honig's shirts this year. They apparently went with a "cheaper" provider, and will not be having this next year.

outathm Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:32pm

I worked with a guy 21 w/e's ago that had one of these shirts on. He took the stitches out from the inside and you couldn't tell the patch was ever there. I know if you try that with the old shirts you will only waste a shirt.

I would prefer to not advertise for a company not paying me.

dacodee Tue Jun 02, 2009 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 606100)

I agree... While Honigs has "OK" shirts, I'd prefer not to have their logo on my back. I can live with the Cliff Keen logo on the left sleeve. CK is small and one barely notices it. But the Honigs logo, right above my US flag doesn't look too good.

bob jenkins Tue Jun 02, 2009 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacodee (Post 606184)
I agree... While Honigs has "OK" shirts, I'd prefer not to have their logo on my back. I can live with the Cliff Keen logo on the left sleeve. CK is small and one barely notices it. But the Honigs logo, right above my US flag doesn't look too good.

Put the flag over (covering) the logo?

BigTex Tue Jun 02, 2009 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 606100)

Get over it. Do you pry the Cadillac, Ford, Saturn (or whatever) logo off of your car? Do you unravel the little horse on your shirts? Do you unstitch the swoosh on your shoes? We live in a capitalistic society, passive advertisements are one way of keeping costs lower.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jun 02, 2009 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTex (Post 606190)
We live in a capitalistic society, passive advertisements are one way of keeping costs lower.

When are they planning to implement this program?:confused::)

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jun 02, 2009 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTex (Post 606190)
Get over it. Do you pry the Cadillac, Ford, Saturn (or whatever) logo off of your car? Do you unravel the little horse on your shirts? Do you unstitch the swoosh on your shoes? We live in a capitalistic society, passive advertisements are one way of keeping costs lower.

But would you like the logo superimposed across the trunk of your car on a rectangular black background in a hideous fashion?

outathm Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:19am

I do not buy Nike, so no, I do not take the swoosh off of my shoes. I do take the Dealer sticker off of my car, and I will also remove anything that is easily removed. I agree that the subliminal advertising is here to stay, but this patch is not subtle in any way. It is very obvious and glaring, but it is also easily removed, so I will.

mrm21711 Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 606206)
I do not buy Nike, so no, I do not take the swoosh off of my shoes. I do take the Dealer sticker off of my car, and I will also remove anything that is easily removed. I agree that the subliminal advertising is here to stay, but this patch is not subtle in any way. It is very obvious and glaring, but it is also easily removed, so I will.

The white Honig's logo isnt nearly as terrible as this black patch.

Bob mentioned they switched to a new manufacturer - did anybody buy these shirts and was their any difference in quality compared to their previous version?

Kevin Finnerty Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 606206)

When they first introduced the MLB logo on the back of all their caps in 1993-94, I used to pluck it off all of my caps thread-by-thread. Some of the alternate fitted caps now come with a cheesy New Era logo on the side. I pluck those out too, although I have taken to leaving the MLB logo on the back now.

As for Honig's shirts: They're not very cool or comfortable; they're overpriced; they have sizing issues. Why should we even bother with them--especially if they're now making them more cheaply?

waltjp Tue Jun 02, 2009 01:21pm

Has anyone tried these?

Cliff Keen U126-MXS Loose-fit Performance Umpire Shirt

http://www.lestersupstatesports.com/files/t_261_01.jpg

Lesters Upstate Sports :: Baseball & Softball :: Shirts & Numbers :: **NEW**Cliff Keen U126-MXS Umpire Shirt MXS Loose-fit Performance fabric

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jun 02, 2009 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 606246)

If these are anywhere near the quality of the other Cliff Keen shirts I own, I'm sure they are just great. Love me some Cliff Keen shirts!:)

mrm21711 Tue Jun 02, 2009 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 606233)
As for Honig's shirts: They're not very cool or comfortable; they're overpriced; they have sizing issues. Why should we even bother with them--especially if they're now making them more cheaply?

What do you wear? CK?