The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Varitek and Francona get dumped. I'm surprised that Varitek didn't get dumped as soon as he turned around. Turn your sound up to see Beckett's thought about Todd's strike zone in the first couple seconds.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | BOS@MIN: Varitek, Francona ejected in seventh inning - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Example of what happens with a young umpire even in MLB. He did eject probably too quickly, but he did stick to his guns.

Reading the story at ESPN, the players were both surprised at how quick the ejection was. I guess that shows just how much the veteran umpires put up with before an ejection.

thanks
DAvid
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Example of what happens with a young umpire even in MLB. He did eject probably too quickly, but he did stick to his guns.

Reading the story at ESPN, the players were both surprised at how quick the ejection was. I guess that shows just how much the veteran umpires put up with before an ejection.

thanks
DAvid
I always thought a catcher turning around on you was a near automatic dumping. He could have gotten Beckett too if he wanted to for the display and "Gawddammit!" on the mound.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

He took care of business. Good for him.

I was listening to Peter Gammons this afternoon and it was disgusting. He said that the umpire was clearly over his head and does not belong anywhere near a major league field. He went on and on for about two minutes about how incompetent the guy was. It was on the Tirico and Van Pelt show and you can listen via Itunes. I lost a lot of respect for Gammons. The ejections were absolutely valid. Don't put it on Tichenor.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Crew chief said he took care of business appropriately and was glad to see that.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 02:45am
M.A.S.H.

Looks like he took care of business.

Is it just me or did Varitek pull that pitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Crew chief said he took care of business appropriately and was glad to see that.
I assume Jerry Layne said this who is the fill-in Crew Chief? Mr. Montague is who Mr. Tichenor is filling in for.

Last edited by tjones1; Fri May 29, 2009 at 02:49am.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

I think that Tichenor made 4 very good ejections. Both catchers made the mistake of direct and animated confrontation and both managers were pretty much gone the moment they too became animated.

I really had to laugh at the guest announcer (no clue who it was) on NESN. He was rambling on and on how the catchers were:
"....excited due to the closeness of the game and the umpire was incorrect in not letting them vent! After all it's not about the umpire, it is all about the game and the players, not the umpires! This guy (Tichenor) has a lot to learn in that department! He's too cocky (Tichenor) and has now changed the entire course of the outcome of the game"
Give me a break!
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Looks like he took care of business.

Is it just me or did Varitek pull that pitch?

I assume Jerry Layne said this who is the fill-in Crew Chief? Mr. Montague is who Mr. Tichenor is filling in for.
Same thing Mr. Montague would have said "Crew chief said he took care of business appropriately and was glad to see that", and the same thing Doug Harvey and Bill Haller use to say with all the new young umpires who had just been hired or were under option (working up) that are now senior umpires. Even if, by chance, a young umpire ejects a little to quickly (heck, they say that about a lot of ejections, and even to the senior umpires many times), it is easier to tone an umpire "down" rather than the other way around.

Besides, most managers and players love to "test" new umpires anyway. That can even happen at the amateur level. Just think of the crap they tried to give you years ago when you were just starting versus the crap they try and give you now if you are a senior amateur umpire. You made the same great call in your first year and got a bunch of crap for it. Now, when you make that same call, no one says a word. Go figure. Right on Ozzy.

Last edited by tballump; Fri May 29, 2009 at 06:45am.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Of course, I don't know what was said so this is just speculation, but I thought the Redmond EJ was surprisingly fast. But like I stated earlier, I thought the Varitek EJ took longer than it should have. I expect that Varitek was just protecting his pitcher but you can't tell me he was surprised he was dumped when he turned around and confronted Tichenor.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 07:55am
Stop staring at me swan.

And prior to that drama there was a bunt that at live speed appeared to hit Lugo while he was out of the box. Gardy was out there for a long time and kept asking him to get help from his crew. He stuck to his guns and after a few replays, including the overhead camera, he did get it right. "Gardy asked him, are you positive that he was in the box...are you sure," It turned out that he got that one right. Although I do think there was an out at home. Do you all think he took the best angle on that play or could he have seen the swipe had he been more 3BLX? It was a banger of a play for sure.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

You could see in the Varitek ejection that Tichenor was about ready to get him, turned his shoulders and cocked the hand, seemed to second guess and then let it fire. Maybe he was second guessing himself but 'Tek was probably trying to make a new "point"

Tichenor also was the one in Toronto who went to dump the O's manager and then stopped looked at Jerry Layne and then fired away. Maybe he's thinking he's got to quick a trigger and he wants to make sure hes getting it right before the managers hit the showers.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 08:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Of course, I don't know what was said so this is just speculation, but I thought the Redmond EJ was surprisingly fast. But like I stated earlier, I thought the Varitek EJ took longer than it should have. I expect that Varitek was just protecting his pitcher but you can't tell me he was surprised he was dumped when he turned around and confronted Tichenor.
Charge the umpire and make gestures like that and you're going to get run. Screw this "it's too fast" nonsense. It's the manager's job to argue calls.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12 View Post
You could see in the Varitek ejection that Tichenor was about ready to get him, turned his shoulders and cocked the hand, seemed to second guess and then let it fire. Maybe he was second guessing himself but 'Tek was probably trying to make a new "point"

Tichenor also was the one in Toronto who went to dump the O's manager and then stopped looked at Jerry Layne and then fired away. Maybe he's thinking he's got to quick a trigger and he wants to make sure hes getting it right before the managers hit the showers.
That was Chris Tiller.....and he hasn't been back up since.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Left Field Corner Has this as ejcections 2,3,4,and 5 and then says it is his first Ejs of the year?

Yahoo has a whole blog on him here:

Big League Stew

I think it is completely unfair to say that the Redmond Dumping was "too fast". I could not tell what he yelled...and he was yelling in his face. I think that gets you gone. The two managers are a gimme.

It seemed like his mask was bobbing at Beckett and maybe he yelled at Beckett before Beckett yelled at him? Varitek kept point out to the mound...was he yelling at Tichenor for yelling at Beckett? In any case, Varitek knew he was going as soon as he turned around like that.

He might have missed the call at the plate-big deal.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I partially agree with you on the Redmond EJ. I think that we really cannot tell for sure whether is was too quick, but there was not a whole lot of time to say any magic words (and I couldn't see any from the replays last night). BTW (not that T knew it but) this is Red's 1st EJ in his 11 year career. So he is not really one to say magic words (I also know this from my time working as a Ride Operator at the old Camp Snoop in MOA, he used to bring his kids there and was always very nice, even remembered me when I went to Spring Training one year).

Overall, I was surprised that Beckett stayed in the game after that little incident. (So I guess 'Tek did his job.)
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 10:43am
Stop staring at me swan.

From what we could hear Beckett didn't say anything to PU...yes, he cussed, we all heard that...but this ain't no FED game. For the number of very close pitches there were, I'd say Beckett didn't show much emotion.