The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Perhaps the board is too full of cretins for the easily offended to continue frequenting it.
Easily offended? Is this where we have sunk? Someone uses F***ing and God together and if someone objects, he is easily offended?

Good grief.

Joe in Missouri
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I agree 100% If this was meant to represent God's name in vain, I too find it in very poor taste, and extremely offensive. Hopefully he used the official Internet shorthand, in which OMG stand for "Oh My Gosh."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Bob,

Really?

Because THIS and THIS would lend credence to the opinion that you are less than truthful as well as a cretin.

Joe In Missouri
Funny. One of you says OMG is the "official Internet shorthand", thereby implying OMFG isn't, but the other gives a link that show OMFG seems to be somewhat official (if not, widely recognized).
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Easily offended? Is this where we have sunk? Someone uses F***ing and God together and if someone objects, he is easily offended?

Good grief.

Joe in Missouri

I'd say that unless we're posting on a 700 Club forum, your sensitivity is a bit over the top.

Tim.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 08:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I'd say that unless we're posting on a 700 Club forum, your sensitivity is a bit over the top.

Tim.
C'mon Tim, don't tell me that Obama's ridiculous appearance on the ND campus has turned you into a cretin too!

I do not allow GD or JC to be used as swear words on a ballfield, and I do find it offensive online as well. It is uncouth and uncalled for in any civilized conversation. I find it equally offensive when Tiger uses it into the TV mike to describe a bad shot. Great example for kids he sets there.

Be not deceived. God is not mocked.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

I asked if Bob was drunk because the acronym he used was over the top in my mind. He then threw a canadian diss in there as if nationality has anything to do with being drunk.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
C'mon Tim, don't tell me that Obama's ridiculous appearance on the ND campus has turned you into a cretin too!
What's ridiculous is your tendency to turn threads into political insults.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:

I do not allow GD or JC to be used as swear words on a ballfield, and I do find it offensive online as well. It is uncouth and uncalled for in any civilized conversation. I find it equally offensive when Tiger uses it into the TV mike to describe a bad shot. Great example for kids he sets there.

Be not deceived. God is not mocked.

Not everyone walks the same path, Steve. I have an appreciation for the way you feel, but for me, I'm not going to ask everyone to believe as I do. This isn't really a place to hold court for religious indictments.

Tim.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 09:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
What's ridiculous is your tendency to turn threads into political insults.
Well now...I didn't "turn" the thread into anything of the sort. And it wasn't a political insult, it was a character insult. It is also not a "tendency" on my part. I don't have any such tendency here. Most of my posts are strictly baseball related. I was joking with a friend of mine who is from South Bend. Other than that, what you said was accurate.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

What's funny is the lame reason some of the posts on here hit the trash can, and then other posts which are much more offensive in nature are able to stay.

I was personally offended when I saw Bob's post & subsequent flippant denial of what he meant, and I'm considering taking some time away from this board because of it.

After thinking about this thread tonight I realized I'm compromising what I believe if I don't stand up for it & say what I think.
I appreciate JW & SD Steve for stating their convictions and opening themselves up for ridicule as well. Hang in there guys, we will defeat the windmill in the end.

I'm out. God bless.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
What's funny is the lame reason some of the posts on here hit the trash can, and then other posts which are much more offensive in nature are able to stay.

I was personally offended when I saw Bob's post & subsequent flippant denial of what he meant, and I'm considering taking some time away from this board because of it.

After thinking about this thread tonight I realized I'm compromising what I believe if I don't stand up for it & say what I think.
I appreciate JW & SD Steve for stating their convictions and opening themselves up for ridicule as well. Hang in there guys, we will defeat the windmill in the end.

I'm out. God bless.
And the victim complex continues...
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope. Not on this. Public obscenity has gone way to far. I will not sit back silently when cretins use such filth, either.

There is no excuse for it.
OMFG, this is a private board. .
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 01:45am

Yeah, of which I am a member, and if I don't appreciate something, I have every right to say something about it. People expressing their opinions about abusive language should not be subject to ridicule because of their preferences. Do you really think the private board card was well played? Think again.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 01:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
And the victim complex continues...
What in the world are you talking about? Oh, because someone finds the Lord's name taken in vain to be offensive, you think that makes them believe they are victims? What it makes people are good, decent people who don't sit idly by and let people use their ears and eyes as trash recepticles.

If everyone has the right to use nasty, godless internet shorthand, then others have every right in the world to object to its use and speak out against it.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If everyone has the right to use nasty, godless internet shorthand, then others have every right in the world to object to its use and speak out against it.
Then other others have every right in the world to object to your speaking out against it. Of which, I suppose, I'm one, mostly because we've now added 10-20 posts discussing the 'merits' of the issue.

And THEN, other other others would have every right in the world to object to MY speaking out over YOUR speaking out.

And other, other other others would have every right in the world to object to THEIR speaking out over MY speaking out over YOUR speaking out. And on it goes.

Sum total of opinions/positions changed == 0.

OMGoodness.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Isn't it interesting that using F***ing and God together and lying about it is less offensive than someone objecting to it?

We must be tolerant of everything! Except someone who finds vulgar comments offensive-THAT person is not to be tolerated!

Joe In Missouri
Closed Thread