Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JR12;603772]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
Well, I can't disagree with you all...but I am NOT thinking as a parent, and that's my problem...I'm thinking as a 32-year cop....trying to establish some order without hands on (I agree with that), but you're right....too much cop trying to establish order...better to back off and sort it out long distance....
Whew! That's hard for me to do.....[/QUOTE

I'm a cop too, however my dept says off duty the only REQUIREMENT is to call 911.If I decide to take action I run the risk of civil liability and a possible IA complaint. Also I rarely do games in the jurisdiction I work. Therefore if I would write down numbers, don't touch anyone, ensure the ON DUTY Police are called, make ejections, be a good witness, That way I make my assoc. and department happy!
Old motto from an old timer cop. "If you put your hands on someone, lock them up"!
I agree....just indicated that it's hard to shut down certain feelings and trainings....From one Blue to another....
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
It's easy! You're hang-up is your badge! That is what allows you do become "involved" in an altercation. Umpires are officials but not police. We cannot become involved with the altercation once it starts. We can try and prevent it, but once it starts, the law is not with us if we get involved.

Example: Police officer grabs Player1 by the arm and Player2 punches Player1 in the face breaking his jaw. The officer is not sued for holding the arm of Player1. We as sports officials would be.
Well said....good points....
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

A coach's viewpoint

As a coach with whom several of you often disagree, here's my take. One of my kids asked me in jest this year, "Coach, what would you do if we brawl?" My answer was clear and not in jest: "I'd pull all of you off the field and we'd forfeit." Don't care what rule's cited, or what might start it, we'd be done, and it wouldn't take an umpire to make the decision for me.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Good!

I think there are probably a handful of coaches who would do the same thing.

But, the umpires HAVE to do what they are supposed to do, as well!

Joe In Missouri

Last edited by jwwashburn; Thu May 21, 2009 at 07:28pm.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker View Post
As a coach with whom several of you often disagree, here's my take. One of my kids asked me in jest this year, "Coach, what would you do if we brawl?" My answer was clear and not in jest: "I'd pull all of you off the field and we'd forfeit." Don't care what rule's cited, or what might start it, we'd be done, and it wouldn't take an umpire to make the decision for me.
And for every coach like this, there is a hundred that would kick, scream, claw, fight and whine when the game was forfeited by rule.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
I always found that pulling my off duty weapon out of my spare ball bag and firing a warning shot was very effective.... (at least it worked for me )
Flash bangs are even better.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Did everyone notice that the catcher actually slammed his hockey-style catcher's mask into the runner on the ground? What a goon.