The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Schmack42
I am going through and looking at the Part I test. Had a few questions

Is it a violation if, in A's frontcourt, A1 passes to A2 but A2 funbles the ball into A's BackCourt where it remains untouched for 10 seconds.
- I see no need to restart my 10 second count. Was not after a made basket or a throw in. Would this be False and it would remain until A touches it for a violation or B gains control?

Players in the first marked lane space may step on the block (neutral zone)
- I can not find this in the rule book.

The ball is out of bounds if it touches an official who has either one or both feet contacting a boundary line.
- Rule 7.1.1 states while holding hte ball inbounds near the sideline, and touches a player B1, photographer, coach or an official all whom are out of bounds. it's states A1 is NOT out of bounds. People are not considered objects and play continues. I put False for this one.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

That case play deals with a player in control of the ball touching a person OOB.

The test question deals with a ball touching an official that is considered part of the floor.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Schmack42
That makes sense. I had to read that question 25 times. So the answer is TRUE That was my first answer

Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmack42
I am going through and looking at the Part I test. Had a few questions

Is it a violation if, in A's frontcourt, A1 passes to A2 but A2 funbles the ball into A's BackCourt where it remains untouched for 10 seconds.
- I see no need to restart my 10 second count. Was not after a made basket or a throw in. Would this be False and it would remain until A touches it for a violation or B gains control?
Applicable rule...
Rule 10-8:
A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of a ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

Where is the ball?
Does team A have team control?

Answer those and you'll have your answer.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

The question is tricky because it seems to conjure up a backcourt violation (Rule 9-9). You are waiting to read that someone touched the ball, but that fact never comes in the question. Instead, the question really goes to a ten second violation (Rule 9-8). Review those two rules and you will see. That should help answer your question.

That was one of my favorite questions on the Part I exam Almost as good as the ball touching a player out of bounds question (57) and the rolling on the top of the backboard question (56), which might be my two favorite.

I like the question because in testing your knowledge about 9-8 and 9-9 (and which is applicable) it also tests your knowledge of Team Control (See Rule 4-12-3), as Cameron Rust points out.

[Edited by cdaref on Nov 14th, 2005 at 03:38 PM]
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmack42
What does it matter whether it's after a made basket or throw-in?

Does the rule allow for the ball to be in the BC for 10 seconds when there's team control?

Any and every time the ball goes into the BC and there's team control, you should have a count.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdaref
The question is tricky because it seems to conjure up a backcourt violation (Rule 9-9). You are waiting to read that someone touched the ball, but that fact never comes in the question. Instead, the question really goes to a ten second violation (Rule 9-8). Review those two rules and you will see. That should help answer your question.

That was one of my favorite questions on the Part I exam Almost as good as the ball touching a player out of bounds question (57) and the rolling on the top of the backboard question (56), which might be my two favorite.

I like the question because in testing your knowledge about 9-8 and 9-9 (and which is applicable) it also tests your knowledge of Team Control (See Rule 4-12-3), as Cameron Rust points out.

[Edited by cdaref on Nov 14th, 2005 at 03:38 PM]
Replace the team A last to touch with B causing it to go into the back court, and ask this question.

In that case who actually starts the 10 second count before A1 recovers the ball in the BC?

I have a feeling this is one of those letter of the rule versus actual practice type of situations.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

Replace the team A last to touch with B causing it to go into the back court, and ask this question.

In that case who actually starts the 10 second count before A1 recovers the ball in the BC?
I do -- but I've never gotten much past 3 or 4 before the ball is back in the FC.

Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. Not a very practical question. Generally the ball either goes out of bounds, is touched by A and is backcourt violation, or is secured by B. What, the kids are actually just going to let a live ball roll around for 10 seconds? I dont think so... but still a fun question. God knows stranger things have happened.