The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Controverisal Obstruction Call

After further review of the rulebook, I wanted to reopen a discussion from a previously locked thread found at the following link. Obstruction

The part I wanted to discuss was the OP.
Quote:
Obstruction
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dailypress.com - Inside the PD

...With the score tied 2-2, Menchville had runners at first and second with one out. As Hunter Lewis dug in at the plate, Woodside’s Christian Burton charged from first base yelling “bunt” — even though Lewis had not squared to bunt.

Mays never delivered a pitch, but the home plate umpire called obstruction on Burton and awarded Lewis first base.
I stumbled across a rule which may validate the umpire's judgement.
Quote:
Rule 7.07 If, with a runner on third base and trying to score by means of a squeeze play or a steal, the catcher or any other fielder steps on, or in front of home base without possession of the ball, or touches the batter or his bat, the pitcher shall be charged with a balk, the batter shall be awarded first base on the interference and the ball is dead.
Note established ruling applies to runner on 3B, which is missing in OP. But the "technical" balk call awards the batter first base on fielder's interference. Perhaps, the umpire felt enough of a hindrance by F3 to call "interference" while R3 sat empty. I mean the batter has not squared around and the guy is already crowding the plate area.

1) Where does in front of a plate end?
2) Will this be enough to change your opinion of the umpire's call?
3) Would it apply to any and all MLB squeeze situations, or only where R3 is present?
4) Has this been discussed in other baseball literature such as the BRD, J/R, etc.?

Happy Mothers Day Weekend and Cheers!

Last edited by SAump; Sun May 10, 2009 at 01:52pm.
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

You can't be serious. Have you ever played the game?

Have you ever umpired the game?
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

When rules collide?

Enlighten me on PBUC/MLBUM interps. regarding this most unusual "interference" award and balk call. Support material is appreciated.
Quote:
OBR 4.03(c) Except the pitcher and the catcher, any fielder may station himself anywhere in fair territory.
Anywhere in front of the 17" plate, or anywhere beyond the cutout in front of the plate to avoid a "batter interference" call, or anywhere in front of another pre-established area in front of the mound to avoid a fielder's balk call? How close is too close to the front of the plate?

Explain why the literal interpretation of OBR 7.07 does not apply to other base situations {such as R1 or R2 only, or R1 and R2}. Explain why a fielder's balk or batter's interference would only apply with R3 in a special squeeze situation and not include other possible scenarios.

Using that criteria, I find OBR 4.03 and OBR 7.07 only address very fine apects of the game itself. Afterall, how practical is anywhere in fair territory?

BTW, I have not determined if I am serious. In this regard, only I can make that ruling.

Last edited by SAump; Sat May 09, 2009 at 05:43pm.
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
You can't be serious. Have you ever played the game?

Have you ever umpired the game?
It's okay. You know what the right call is. I know what the right call is. Most umpires know what the right call is. Just let it go. Serenity now...
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Cool The experts have serenity and knowledge

johnnyg08 has some questions in another thread. Was Laz wrong?
Go comment. Go comment. Go comment.

Last edited by SAump; Sat May 09, 2009 at 05:49pm.
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
After further review of the rulebook, I wanted to reopen a discussion from a previously locked thread found at the following link. Obstruction

The part I wanted to discuss was the OP.

I stumbled across a rule which may validate the umpire's judgement.
Note established ruling applies to runner on 3B, which is missing in OP. But the "technical" balk call awards the batter first base on fielder's interference. Perhaps, the umpire felt enough of a hindrance by F3 to call "interference" while R3 sat empty. I mean the batter has not squared around and the guy is already crowding the mound area.

1) Where does in front of a plate end?
2) Will this be enough to change your opinion of the umpire's call?
3) Would it apply to any and all MLB squeeze situations, or only where R3 is present?
4) Has this been discussed in other baseball literature such as the BRD, J/R, etc.?

Happy Mothers Day Weekend and Cheers!
Surely you can appreciate the difference between "preventing the batter from having the opportunity to hit a pitch" (obstrcution / interference -- award the batter first) and "charging toward the plate before a pitch is thrown" (nothing).
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Surely you can appreciate the difference between "preventing the batter from having the opportunity to hit a pitch" (obstsruction / interference -- award the batter first) and "charging toward the plate before a pitch is thrown" (nothing).
That is a very clear distinction and a very good explanation. Perhaps others can now relate the difficulty the umpire in the OP had trying to correctly enforce a fielder's balk. Perhaps the fielder charged in a little too close for a warning. I learned a little more than I previously knew and was trying to generate a little more discussion on the subject. I enjoy the thrill of a good "squeeze" play.

I didn't know how "technical" the issue really was until I happened across this thread earlier in the month and OBR 7.07 {pitch requirement} today. Just wanted to pass on more info to other folks who may have not noticed the "little ambiguity" found in the MLB rulebook. See Mr Childress' comments found in BRD 71 {4.06b} and 287 {6.08C}. Perhaps Carl will find this previous article in the thread on obstruction amusing for those who don't own a copy of the BRD or cannot appreciate Carl's wisdom.

Cheers to all you "veteran" umpires out there!
Happy Mother's Day!

Last edited by SAump; Sat May 09, 2009 at 11:53pm.
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

How would you rule?

From the article:
Quote:
This is one of Woodside's trick plays that they run. One or both of the corners charge yelling ( to be a distraction to the runners). They try distracting the runner long enough to pick off to the base and get them out. They have done it before and it makes more sense then Hare's explanation he gave.
Hint: From the set position a pitcher has 3 options. Is it itcafbifohp?

Last edited by SAump; Mon May 11, 2009 at 09:12pm.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 12:07am
Stop staring at me swan.

This is a relatively common pick off play.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Surely you can appreciate the difference between "preventing the batter from having the opportunity to hit a pitch" (obstrcution / interference -- award the batter first) and "charging toward the plate before a pitch is thrown" (nothing).
Hey, please don't quote him. You're defeating my ignore list!

I do, however, like the typo/word 'obstrcution' which if you say it sounds like a cross between 'obstruction' and 'execution'. Maybe that should be the new penalty for obstruction.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
That is a very clear distinction and a very good explanation. Perhaps others can now relate the difficulty the umpire in the OP had trying to correctly enforce a fielder's balk.
I agree that any umpire would have difficulty enforcing something that doesn't exist.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree that any umpire would have difficulty enforcing something that doesn't exist.
Similar to hitting a "rising fast ball", eh?

(sorry)
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking One liners

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Similar to hitting a "rising fast ball", eh?

(sorry)
Similar to running past a "missed base," eh?