The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Giving Game Fees back

I've just been notified by one of the assignors I work for that in order to work one of the bigger tournaments, we need to send him a check that matches one game fee for shirts, hats, etc. Normally, we are provided with tournament shirts and hats. I believe that this typically comes out of each team's entry fee, along with our game fees as well.

The reasoning is because of the bad economy, we as umpires can do something to make it easier on each team that signs up to play.

Now listen, I'm all for giving back. I had no problem last year working 4 games in a tournament and giving back all but enough for gas and six pack. The tournament was a fundraiser for a local girl who was sick.

But this one peeves me a bit more and I'm not sure I'll cave. The decision was made without my input at all, since I'm still in school and am 600 miles away from meetings. I guess perks of the union life...

Anyone have anything similar going on in their area?
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 12:38pm
Stop staring at me swan.

They probably paid their entry fee months ago. What about the umpires who are affected by the "tough economic times" I would see how the other umps feel so if you choose to say anything at least you're presenting a united front as opposed to being seen as the complainer. Fortunately, I'm not seeing these issues on this part of the country.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
I've just been notified by one of the assignors I work for that in order to work one of the bigger tournaments, we need to send him a check that matches one game fee for shirts, hats, etc. Normally, we are provided with tournament shirts and hats. I believe that this typically comes out of each team's entry fee, along with our game fees as well.

The reasoning is because of the bad economy, we as umpires can do something to make it easier on each team that signs up to play.

Now listen, I'm all for giving back. I had no problem last year working 4 games in a tournament and giving back all but enough for gas and six pack. The tournament was a fundraiser for a local girl who was sick.

But this one peeves me a bit more and I'm not sure I'll cave. The decision was made without my input at all, since I'm still in school and am 600 miles away from meetings. I guess perks of the union life...

Anyone have anything similar going on in their area?
I'd tell him to jump in a lake.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

If they were so worried about it, they could just not buy hats/shirts and let the umpires wear their own stuff.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Let me rephrase: I would ask if he's giving part of his salary back, then tell him to jump in a lake.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've just been notified by one of the assignors I work for that in order to work one of the bigger tournaments, we need to send him a check that matches one game fee for shirts, hats, etc.
Wait. Are you saying YOU need to pay up-front to work this tourney? In effect, you're paying $50-75 for a hat/shirt, that you'll probably not wear again.

I'm guessing that this is a for-profit tourney, where the TD pockets the dough. I'm also guessing that his signups are low, and he's looking to cut costs. Hey, who isn't?

Speak with your feet.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like an assignor is lining thier own pockets.

I do softball and had a high school coach make some comment to me the other day as she was handing us our checks for $42 each about how much money we make and must be pretty nice. I said ya, only have to work 20-25 games to pay off all the equipment and uniforms we have to purchase. She looked at me all dumbfounded and said, "oh, you have to buy all your own uniforms and equipment?"
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

How does this make it easier on the teams? You paying for hats and shirts doesn't help them, dropping entry fees does. Just drop the entry fees and forget about the "special" clothing.

Unless this is a membership fee (association, etc) I don't see the point.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

"The economy is bad"

It's bad for all of us! But with amateur umpires, this is a "2nd job". While at times, this can be lucrative, it should not be so important that refusing to deal with jerks as in the OP, it would affect our economic status.

I have never given anything, other than the normal assigner fees, back to any league or association, nor should anyone else.

I was once assigned to a Regional Tournament in which I and my 5 partners were approached in the parking lot by the TD. He stated that we need to wear these Tournament shirts and they cost $25 each. I stated that my crew had their State Association uniforms and those would do fine. The TD started to hem and haw so I instructed my crew to undress and pack up. We were all back in out street clothes when the TD begged us not to go and we could wear our uniforms. I stated that it would cost him the double header fee, right now and we would be glad to get dressed. Without a word, the TD paid the cash and we worked the 2 games without a hitch.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Let me throw in that its not a situation of an assignor lining the pockets. It is probably more like an assignor is doing something to appease coaches.

Its the type of situation where if I walk, I would probably be the only one. To other umpires, it would look like I was a stubborn a**. I don't really want to blackball myself over it, but I sure as hell don't want to pay it either.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Challenging an established assigner by one's self is not usually a productive strategy. Nor is challening his ethics.

If you feel strongly about this (I certainly would), simply advise him that you are unavailable to work that tournament and find something else to do that weekend.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but I sure as hell don't want to pay it either.

So don't. It's about YOUR principles not theirs.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me throw in that its not a situation of an assignor lining the pockets. It is probably more like an assignor is doing something to appease coaches.

Its the type of situation where if I walk, I would probably be the only one. To other umpires, it would look like I was a stubborn a**. I don't really want to blackball myself over it, but I sure as hell don't want to pay it either.

How about a simple "No thank you". You don't HAVE to umpire, do you? Look, you have been asked to take less money per game, so it's your choice.

"This isn't Russia, is it Danny?"
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
If you feel strongly about this (I certainly would), simply advise him that you are unavailable to work that tournament and find something else to do that weekend.
That's what I was thinking. If your assignor asks you why, tell him that you can't afford a $50 shirt that you'll never wear again.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

I don't work for free. The only time I have was a benefit basketball game for a kid who was fighting cancer, which is a completely different thing altogether. They are playing a tournament to make money and they want you to pay to work it? That's pretty ballsy in my opinion. I'd tell them no thanks and look elsewhere. As a previous poster noted, we all spend a lot of money on equipment, local and state association fees, and sometimes clinics as well. I do it because I enjoy it but I also consider it a part time job to earn some extra cash. If they can't afford to pay umpires, then they aren't doing a very good job of running their tournament. I don't know about the area where you live, but most assigners and schools in my area would be pretty hesitant to blacklist an umpire for refusing to kick back money to work a tournament, because they are pretty difficult to find anymore. There are a million places I can pick up games if I want to, so I'm certainly not going to work for free and would be even less likely to pay to work.