The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Errant Throw

Fed situation, Runner on 1st and 2nd. F3 playing behind runner. F1 steps toward 1b at same time as F3 starts move toward 1B, timing play perhaps. F1throws the ball into the ground about 20 feet from the mound, it rolls towards F3's original position and comes to a stop in the infield grass. F3 runs over and picks it up. Runner on 2B advances to 3rd. Runner on 1B does not advance.

J/R says "an intended pickoff throw (in contact) to first base that slips is a balk if it does not reach the foul line or a fielder within reach of a tag attempt at the base. I see nothing in FED on this. 10-2-3g situation perhaps. Does an unofficial OBR interp have a bearing when there is no FED interp for a 10-2-3g situation.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:34am
Stop staring at me swan.

If it were my play, if there's no FED interp, it's nothing. If you use the OBR interp, in a sense, you're making up rules. I would let it be. If he made a move to 1B, didn't throw it, then realized "oh crud, I have to throw it or it's a balk", then balk it...that's a HTBT though.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Fed situation, Runner on 1st and 2nd. F3 playing behind runner. F1 steps toward 1b at same time as F3 starts move toward 1B, timing play perhaps. F1throws the ball into the ground about 20 feet from the mound, it rolls towards F3's original position and comes to a stop in the infield grass. F3 runs over and picks it up. Runner on 2B advances to 3rd. Runner on 1B does not advance.
Balk this... Pitcher must step and throw to the base. The rule clearly states that the throw must be an attempt to put out the runner. A ball that doesnt get there is not an attempt to put out the runner..

Also using other logic (of not balking it), if the pitcher "slipped" on this play and simply tossed the ball in the air and then he re caught it, using the same logic you would have no balk here either. I think not. This play is clearly a "BALK".
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 09:12am
Stop staring at me swan.

very solid points. maybe this is a better way to handle it?
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
Balk this... Pitcher must step and throw to the base.
I agree. And the explanation is under my 5 word maximum: "Didn't throw to the base."