Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 03:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307 View Post
Hi Rut,

Had a similar situation. The Coach came out and I made him walk all the way out to me. When he got there I said What are you doing out here? He looked at me and without saying a word turned around and walked all the way back to the dugout. Only time it ever happened to me.
As I said it was the second time for me. It seems like this is the new thing. Maybe I should be more of a hardazz next time.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
As I said it was the second time for me. It seems like this is the new thing. Maybe I should be more of a hardazz next time.

Peace

Try this it works for me when they want to discuss plays that happened earler in the game. I only deal in current events I'm not a history teacher.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 03:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Try this it works for me when they want to discuss plays that happened earler in the game. I only deal in current events I'm not a history teacher.
I am having more of a problem with their actions not mine. I have no problem what I said to them or how I reacted to them. I was just wondering is this becoming an epidemic or acceptable practice across the country. As I said before, both situations the coaches did not come back and honestly I do not care what they think of me.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

To me, this is appearing to be unapproachable. Thus, when they come out on a legitimate reason, they may not come out in a calm manner. They already have the impression that you will not be reasonable or will be a smart a$$ so why should they. This kind of attitude causes animosity towards you and all other umpires which follow. Now, none of us can have a good game b/c we have to wonder what the "jerk" umpire (as they will be referred to by the coach when he wants to tell us about him) has done to affect my game. And, if you think it doesn't affect the games to follow, you are sadly mistaken.

Again, I have no problem with them coming between innings. They are not holding up the game and are not making a scene. No one knows why they are out there. So, why do something which may trigger a scene? Simply answer the question and move on. No other remarks are warranted.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
I am going to be optimistic and say that he's joking with us here. At any rate, it is another of his amusing stories.
Well, it can't be a story if I said that I "would". If you don't want to share anything productive, please don't post in this thread. Unprofessional? No. I'm just not going to let a rat argue a judgment call without a little workout first.

Last edited by cc6; Thu Apr 30, 2009 at 04:23pm.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
Again, I have no problem with them coming between innings. They are not holding up the game and are not making a scene. No one knows why they are out there. So, why do something which may trigger a scene? Simply answer the question and move on. No other remarks are warranted.
Depends if they have a legit question or are trying to intimidate with a stupid request. If it is a judgment call it cannot be argued.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am having more of a problem with their actions not mine. I have no problem what I said to them or how I reacted to them. I was just wondering is this becoming an epidemic or acceptable practice across the country. As I said before, both situations the coaches did not come back and honestly I do not care what they think of me.

Peace

Rut I would do just what you did by telling them that it would be better to come out when the play happens. However I would not use the words "I would have more respect for you if..."
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
To me, this is appearing to be unapproachable. Thus, when they come out on a legitimate reason, they may not come out in a calm manner. They already have the impression that you will not be reasonable or will be a smart a$$ so why should they. This kind of attitude causes animosity towards you and all other umpires which follow. Now, none of us can have a good game b/c we have to wonder what the "jerk" umpire (as they will be referred to by the coach when he wants to tell us about him) has done to affect my game. And, if you think it doesn't affect the games to follow, you are sadly mistaken.
I have learned that they are going to think you are a jerk no matter what you do or say. I have had coaches come out and ask very legitimate questions and get upset when I actually answered their questions or told them what I saw. In my opinion you cannot win and I personally do not try to. I stopped doing that over 10 years ago (especially in baseball). And no, all times are not appropriate to come out and discuss plays and situations in my opinion. I am not going to discuss plays I did not get involved in or past situations. Why would I want to discuss a play that happened several outs ago? Do you think it is appropriate if we are in the 5th inning and a coach wants to come out and discuss a play from the 3rd inning? After all he is asking a question right? He was professional right?

Or what if they bring up a previous call to make a point about another call? That is appropriate for you to discuss? I will tell you that is not appropriate to me in any sport I officiating ever. It might not warrant action being taken like an ejection, but they will know about it if they are coming to me with that stuff.

Quote:
Didn't cause a scene? Really? Why did the first base coach after he left ask me, "What was that all about?" He obviously raised the eyebrows of someone. And when I told him we wanted to know about the first out of the inning, he did not say a word.

BTW, the coach approached my partner and got a similar response to suggest he should not have done such a thing or at the very least it looked bad. His question was also a stupid one. He asked me "Did he tag him?" What other reason would I have called him out? For my health? For the point spread? Of course he was out, that is why we are there to make calls.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger49 View Post
Rut I would do just what you did by telling them that it would be better to come out when the play happens. However I would not use the words "I would have more respect for you if..."
I do not apologize for that statement. It got the point across and he knew I was not happy. That is after all what communication is supposed to do, convey what you are thinking.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:

I disagree. If you got a question about a call come out and question it when it happens. Don't wait until between innings. I'm not discussing anything that happened earlier in the game. I see no good coming from this. If it's a legitimate question of course I'll answer it but if it involves a play generally speaking what's the point in rehashing it?

Keep one more thing in mind. If you believe them when they say good job blue than you gotta believe them when they say you're terrible.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Keep one more thing in mind. If you believe them when they say good job blue than you gotta believe them when they say you're terrible.
Amen to that.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Well, it can't be a story if I said that I "would". If you don't want to share anything productive, please don't post in this thread.
It's never stopped you.

Quote:
Unprofessional? No. I'm just not going to let a rat argue a judgment call without a little workout first.
Unprofessional? Absolutely.

Quote:
Depends if they have a legit question or are trying to intimidate with a stupid request. If it is a judgment call it cannot be argued.
The hell it can't.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not apologize for that statement. It got the point across and he knew I was not happy. That is after all what communication is supposed to do, convey what you are thinking.
What you were thinking was not an appropriate thought to share with him. Just because something is the truth doesn't mean it is proper to be said.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 11:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
What you were thinking was not an appropriate thought to share with him. Just because something is the truth doesn't mean it is proper to be said.
We are just going to have to disagree this one. Because his entire point was that he was professional as to justify what he did or why he was talking to me about a play well before the inning was over. I have yet to see where it says it is professional just because you do not yell and scream as a coach. Actually the rules say we can eject coaches for simply questioning a judgment call. This was a judgment call and discussed immediately when it took place. And my partner said in the pre-game meeting, “If you have a question, call time and we will answer your question.” He knew where we stood and choose to make a scene that there was a problem.

And I feel that as an umpire I have the right to share my feelings when a coach is in the wrong. I would have had more respect for him if he would have argued at the time. At least I would know he had a problem with the call. But to come to me much later, was dirty pool in my opinion. And I have often shared my opinions with coaches when they have crossed a line. That is my right and I have never seen anything that suggests I cannot do that. Sorry, but we have a right to comment on their BS, even if it hurts their feelings.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, it can't be a story if I said that I "would". If you don't want to share anything productive, please don't post in this thread. Unprofessional? No. I'm just not going to let a rat argue a judgment call without a little workout first.
That is one of the stupidest things I have ever read.

Last edited by briancurtin; Thu Apr 30, 2009 at 11:36pm. Reason: forgot to add the bold