The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Short Right Field.

I am just curious what would others do. This has happen to me twice this year that has not happened but maybe one other time in my career.

I was working the bases the other day and I called a player out on a pick off while standing in the B position, which my partner did not think was close at all. This was the first out of the inning and no other incidents in the inning. The inning ends and I go to short right field.

As I turn around, I see the coach of the team that was up to bat walking slowly out to right field.

He gets there and asks me what I feel it a very dumb question in a very calm voice, "Did he tag him?" To make a long story short, I did answer the question after I told him "I cannot believe you came out here for a play that happened early in the inning."

Now I am wondering is the becoming common for coaches to come to short right after the inning is officially over to discuss plays? How do you handle those situations if they occur? Would you just eject a coach for doing such a thing, or handle it in another way?

Peace
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

I do not feel there is a reason to eject him. He didn't make a scene about it or do anything to show you up. So, I'd leave that alone b/c it will cause undue issues for the rest of the game.

As far as coming out to you, I don't see a problem with that b/c nobody knows why he is coming to you and maybe, he didn't feel a need to hold up the game to ask this. He knew it wouldn't change the call so do it at a time which allows the game to proceed. I would have just told him the runner was tagged and I had an out.

I have not had a coach do this but I would not worry about it as long as he wasn't there to argue.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:06pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I think just because we retreat to short RF, that doens't mean that a coach can't come out and talk to us. It makes it a bit more tough, but if a coach isn't foaming at the mouth or making a scene, I'm going to listen to him as long as he's not delaying the game. You probably don't want the reputation of being unapproachable.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I have had this happen, and the best advice I can give is to simply answer his question in the most professional manner that you can. Yes it is odd, but usually being professional about it will be the end of it. If it isn't and he wants to make more of it, warn and eject.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I think just because we retreat to short RF, that doens't mean that a coach can't come out and talk to us. It makes it a bit more tough, but if a coach isn't foaming at the mouth or making a scene, I'm going to listen to him as long as he's not delaying the game. You probably don't want the reputation of being unapproachable.
I would add that in such an instance, if they appear to be coming out in a relatively non-confrontational manner, I will jog in to meet them for the discussion. Making them come all the way out to me makes it look like I am avoiding them or playing a power trip - which then starts the conversation off in a bad manner.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:21pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I think I would agree on a case-by-case basis.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
I would add that in such an instance, if they appear to be coming out in a relatively non-confrontational manner, I will jog in to meet them for the discussion. Making them come all the way out to me makes it look like I am avoiding them or playing a power trip - which then starts the conversation off in a bad manner.
That is kind of my take. I always go there no matter what happens in the inning. Unless I really need to talk to my partner for some reason, I am in short right field.

I also had more of a problem with this particular situation because it was well after the fact of the original call. I just do not find that very professional.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:31pm
Stop staring at me swan.

In situations like that...sometimes I will say that I don't remember that particular play...esp if it was a play that wasn't obviously a controversial one that I wouldn't forget. Sometimes a coach will come over in between innings and nicely ask where a certain pitch was on x batter...I will say...I have no idea...I don't remember a pitch from x batters ago. It usually ends right there. You never really owe coach an explanation, esp if it was from a play a while back...but you don't want to be seen as unapproachable...if he's being civil, listen to him, let him show that he's standing up for his team, and move on. Sometimes they just want to make a point to their players that they're sticking up for their team.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
You never really owe coach an explanation, esp if it was from a play a while back...but you don't want to be seen as unapproachable...if he's being civil, listen to him, let him show that he's standing up for his team, and move on. Sometimes they just want to make a point to their players that they're sticking up for their team.
I agree with you when we talk about dealing with them when they are civil, but being approachable does not mean that all times are appropriate to discuss things. If we stop a coach from talking balls and strikes, are we not being approachable?

Peace
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 02:07pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I think the umpire ultimately decides on what he's going to talk about or not. As you know, the rules prohibit arguing balls and strikes. If between innings a coach wants to ask me about a pitch or when I go to break up a mound visit, he asks about a pitch...I can decide how I want to answer the question...I may answer his question truthfully or I may simply say, we're not talking about balls and strikes...or anything in between. A lot of things depend on how I deal with the situation. Ultimately he may still feel that I'm unapproachable...and that might be okay. I don't want the coaches to feel like they can't talk to me, but I also need them to know not to confuse my open ear with weakness.

Last edited by johnnyg08; Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 02:09pm.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Rut, look at it this way. He has to walk all the way out there to talk to you. You get your jollies, then he has to walk all the way back while you get to just stand there!

Makes my day!
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 07:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Rut, look at it this way. He has to walk all the way out there to talk to you. You get your jollies, then he has to walk all the way back while you get to just stand there!

Makes my day!
I will admit there was a little satisfaction he had to come all the way out of there.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Was he trying this slow walk out and slow walk in to get more warm-up pitches for his pitcher? They use this ploy of nicely talking to you or asking questions when bringing in the relievers also, trying divert your attention from the number of warm-up pitches their pitcher is taking to get him any extra ones they can get. Never underestimate a rat.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 08:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
Was he trying this slow walk out and slow walk in to get more warm-up pitches for his pitcher? They use this ploy of nicely talking to you or asking questions when bringing in the relievers also, trying divert your attention from the number of warm-up pitches their pitcher is taking to get him any extra ones they can get. Never underestimate a rat.
That is unlikely considering I was the BU. I do not usually pay attention to warm-up pitches unless my partner is doing something. And even in RF I am not doing such a thing. If that was his motive, he talked to the wrong person for that.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Wait a minute. If I am HP umpire that pitcher gets 5 pitches or eight if he is new. This will be enforced even if his mother runs out on the field. (then again if its 10 year olds, never mind ,I won't go there)

There is nothing wrong with being approachable during a game, no matter where you are standing. Remember though, perception is in your favor here. That coach came all that way to make a point, just about any reason you toss him for at that point, he will look like the aggressor.

Your in a win-win situation.

But as much as you have the upper hand there, be professional.