The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Hbp?

A pitch is inside and in the dirt. The batter immediately drops his bat and starts to first base. PU yells down to the BU (in A) and says, "I didn't see it hit him. Did you?" BU shrugs his shoulders. PU tells the batter to come back. I ask for time and approach PU. I ask what is going on and he puts his mask in my face and says, "I don't know if it hit him or not!" I ask, "What are we going to do about it?'' He leans in even closer and repeats, "I don't know if it hit him or not!" I turn and walk back to my third base coaching box. When I get there, I see that PU is still "glaring" at me. I shrug and wait for play to resume. Could I have handled this differently?

Last edited by harmbu; Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 12:57pm.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you handled it as well as possible.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Two other options:

1. Approach umpire and say, " Mr. Umpire you nailed that call, well done".

2. Approach umpire and say, " Mr. Umpire have you always been bleeping blind,
or did this just occur today"?
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

That is what I thought. I just hate it when you try to be respectful and understand what is going on and you get one of the few who seem to have a chip on their shoulder and are there to be the show. This guy also spent most of the game looking into the stands. I guess he just needed to show who was in charge. He also must be a neat freak. I noticed him cleaning off the plate several time throughout the game. In one half inning, he cleaned it off 11 times. This was an innin that saw a total of seven batters and no plays at home.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
That is what I thought. I just hate it when you try to be respectful and understand what is going on and you get one of the few who seem to have a chip on their shoulder and are there to be the show. This guy also spent most of the game looking into the stands. I guess he just needed to show who was in charge. He also must be a neat freak. I noticed him cleaning off the plate several time throughout the game. In one half inning, he cleaned it off 11 times. This was an innin that saw a total of seven batters and no plays at home.
Tell him, "hey joe, is one of your pant legs longer than the other". This ought to drive him crazy.....
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A pitch is inside and in the dirt. The batter immediately drops his bat and starts to first base. PU yells down to the BU (in A) and says, "I didn't see it hit him. Did you?" BU shrugs his shoulders. PU tells the batter to come back. I ask for time and approach PU. I ask what is going on and he puts his mask in my face and says, "I don't know if it hit him or not!" I ask, "What are we going to do about it?'' He leans in even closer and repeats, "I don't know if it hit him or not!" I turn and walk back to my third base coaching box. When I get there, I see that PU is still "glaring" at me. I shrug and wait for play to resume. Could I have handled this differently?
What answer did you expect from your question? Obviously he didn't see the pitch hit your batter and asked his partner, who also didn't see it, for help.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
You ask Could you have handled this differently

In a way yes

Why!

PU yells down to the BU (in A) and says, "I didn't see it hit him. Did you?" BU shrugs his shoulders.

We have bad mechanics but the point is the PU checked with his parther to see if B1 was HBP. The BU said no.

I ask what is going on and he puts his mask in my face and says, "I don't know if it hit him or not!" I ask, "What are we going to do about it?''

No need for PU to get in your face and as I said above bad mechanics but I have a little problem with your response "What are we going to do about it?''

Why!

Since the PU YELLED to his partner to ask if B1 was hit I am assuming you heard this as well. Once the PU checked with his partner your question "What are we going to do about it?'' is moot because there is NOTHING to do except bring back B1.

In summary: This was not handled professionally but IMO, when the PU said "I didn't se it hit him" meant that was the reason B1 was coming back to the plate so I do not understand your question "What are we going to do about it"?

FWIW - What did you want to happen?

Pete Booth
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I ask what is going on and he puts his mask in my face and says, "I don't know if it hit him or not!" I ask, "What are we going to do about it?'' He leans in even closer and repeats, "I don't know if it hit him or not!" I turn and walk back to my third base coaching box. When I get there, I see that PU is still "glaring" at me. I shrug and wait for play to resume. Could I have handled this differently?
Sure: don't ask the follow-up question. You may believe you're being respectful at that point, but you're being as smart-a$$.

Why? Because for one, "we" don't do anything about it - coaches coach, umpires umpire. Thanks for your input, and the 1st Amendment protects your right to free speech, but it's still not your decision. He already DID something about it by bringing your guy back. AND, he went for help - poorly, perhaps, but he did look for it. Then, after he's gotten extra information AND indicated a ruling, you're asking "what are we going to do about it?" I don't know about him, but I'd be thinking: "Seriously?"

Thus, the glare.

Just remember: even though people in classes and seminars say "there are no stupid questions," they're lying.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

My mistake

Looking back, I see that the "What are we going to do about it?" question should have not have been posed. I guess I was just reacting to his "staredown" by thinking I had to make a comment. Next time I will walk away sooner. I am sure this did not cause his "glaring" at me from 90+ feet away instead of getting the game back underway.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 12:54pm

Quote:
1.) PU should have only said, "Did it hit him?" He shouldn't have said, "I didn't see it him. Did you?" This is poor form. It's almost like the old, "He didn't go, did he?" on a checked swing.

2.) BU is incompetent for ever shrugging his shoulders in place of making a real call. He should have emphatically given a safe signal, accompanied by "no, it didn't hit him!" or signaling Time, accompanied by "Time. The ball hit the batter." The "search me" mechanic cannot be found in any umpiring manual on the planet.

3.) You must have gotten close enough to the umpire for him to "put his mask in your face." Don't ever invade the umpire's personal space. You did not have to go far out your coaches box to get an answer. The answer was already provided to you before you left your box. The umpires ruled (however badly they did it) that the batter didn't get hit. You unnecessarily went out of your way to confront the umpire. You invited the trouble.

4.) As others have said, WE aren't going to do anything about it. You are a coach, and therefore have absolutely no input as to decisions concerning baseball rules. Your job is to coach the players. If you want to umpire, become an umpire.

Here is the summary of my advice to coaches for dealing with umpire decisions:

1.) Head coaches/managers
    Request time
    Speak with respect
    Don't get smart
    Accept the ruling with grace
    Return to your position promptly as to not further delay the game

2.) Assistant coaches
    Do not try to argue with officials. It's not your job
    Say "atta boy" to players and direct their paths on the bases
    At end of game, say "good game, Mr. Umpire!"
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 12:56pm.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Mask On

I always keep my mask on when dealing with coaches. This comes into play when I sometimes "stumble" into them and bump thier nose with my mask. This usually gets them away from me in a hurry.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
I always keep my mask on when dealing with coaches. This comes into play when I sometimes "stumble" into them and bump thier nose with my mask. This usually gets them away from me in a hurry.
Aren't you the same guy who in another thread threatened a pitcher with squeezing him so tight his "balls would hurt"???????

Please step down off of your pedistal and work on your game management skills.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Do not...repeat...do not ask your baseguy if it hit him..period. As the plateguy, you got to get that yourself. Now I know there are times we have to deal with balls in the dirt...dust coming up... we just have to umpire the best we can. You cannot put it on your partner who is 90' away to help you on that.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

If PU didn't see it hit him odds are it didn't hit him. "What are we going to do about it" can be taken many different ways. I am sure you could've used a different set of words.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post

That's a good one. You are, of course, just kidding around with us...