Thread: Hbp?
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
I ask what is going on and he puts his mask in my face and says, "I don't know if it hit him or not!" I ask, "What are we going to do about it?'' He leans in even closer and repeats, "I don't know if it hit him or not!" I turn and walk back to my third base coaching box. When I get there, I see that PU is still "glaring" at me. I shrug and wait for play to resume. Could I have handled this differently?
Sure: don't ask the follow-up question. You may believe you're being respectful at that point, but you're being as smart-a$$.

Why? Because for one, "we" don't do anything about it - coaches coach, umpires umpire. Thanks for your input, and the 1st Amendment protects your right to free speech, but it's still not your decision. He already DID something about it by bringing your guy back. AND, he went for help - poorly, perhaps, but he did look for it. Then, after he's gotten extra information AND indicated a ruling, you're asking "what are we going to do about it?" I don't know about him, but I'd be thinking: "Seriously?"

Thus, the glare.

Just remember: even though people in classes and seminars say "there are no stupid questions," they're lying.