Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Here is the summary of my advice to coaches for dealing with umpire decisions:

2.) Assistant coaches
    Do not try to argue with officials. It's not your job
    Say "atta boy" to players and direct their paths on the bases
    At end of game, say "good game, Mr. Umpire!"
With all due respect, SDS, I could give a %^&$# less about the last one. Since they don't exist any other time, I don't care a flip about what they think about the end result. (Maybe I don't feel THAT strongly, in retrospect, but still....)

Here's a question, to change horses mid-stream: is anyone else out there as uncomfortable as I am when the coaches want to shake hands with me at the end of a game? Winning team, losing team, head coachs, AC, whatever - the last thing I want to do at the end of the game is shake hands.

I'm not trying to sound like an anti-social troglodyte, but I'm trying to act like a pro out there, and I would just as soon 'pick up' my partner and find that gate in the fence at the end. And this happens at HS as well as local rec leagues - not every coach, but there are some at every level. Some will speak and thank me/us, or say "good game, blue/Mr ump/whatever", and I just try to nod or say 'your welcome,' or some other minimalist response, but I'd almost prefer to just leave.

Part of it's because I umpire no closer than 35 miles from my home, so I have no ties to any league or area. But am I over-reacting to feel this way?