Thread: Hbp?
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
A pitch is inside and in the dirt. The batter immediately drops his bat and starts to first base. PU yells down to the BU (in A) and says, "I didn't see it hit him. Did you?" BU shrugs his shoulders. PU tells the batter to come back. I ask for time and approach PU. I ask what is going on and he puts his mask in my face and says, "I don't know if it hit him or not!" I ask, "What are we going to do about it?'' He leans in even closer and repeats, "I don't know if it hit him or not!" I turn and walk back to my third base coaching box. When I get there, I see that PU is still "glaring" at me. I shrug and wait for play to resume. Could I have handled this differently?
You ask Could you have handled this differently

In a way yes

Why!

PU yells down to the BU (in A) and says, "I didn't see it hit him. Did you?" BU shrugs his shoulders.

We have bad mechanics but the point is the PU checked with his parther to see if B1 was HBP. The BU said no.

I ask what is going on and he puts his mask in my face and says, "I don't know if it hit him or not!" I ask, "What are we going to do about it?''

No need for PU to get in your face and as I said above bad mechanics but I have a little problem with your response "What are we going to do about it?''

Why!

Since the PU YELLED to his partner to ask if B1 was hit I am assuming you heard this as well. Once the PU checked with his partner your question "What are we going to do about it?'' is moot because there is NOTHING to do except bring back B1.

In summary: This was not handled professionally but IMO, when the PU said "I didn't se it hit him" meant that was the reason B1 was coming back to the plate so I do not understand your question "What are we going to do about it"?

FWIW - What did you want to happen?

Pete Booth