The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Bunting?

I heard there is a new rule for bat position/strike when bunting. If the batter does not attempt to strike the ball and hold the bat still, if the pitch is out of the strike zone, it is a ball? Batter does not have to "pull the bat back"?
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

The batter must "offer" at the ball - that is, move the bat toward the ball in some manner. Merely holding the bat in the strike zone does NOT call for a strike on a pitch that is not in the strike zone. This is one of the myths of baseball.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydog View Post
I heard there is a new rule for bat position/strike when bunting. If the batter does not attempt to strike the ball and hold the bat still, if the pitch is out of the strike zone, it is a ball? Batter does not have to "pull the bat back"?
You're new here, and welcome to the board.

Many of your questions have already been answered in the forum somewhere. You might consider using the forum's search function (in the menu bar at the top of every screen). Doing so will prevent some members from scolding you.

You also need to get a rule book. This question is clearly answered in rule 2.00. If you read the rule and don't understand it, that's a better question. Again, some forum members will scold you for not reading the rules first.

To answer your question: the batter is charged with a swinging strike only if he offers at (and misses) the pitch. Merely holding the bat over the plate does not by itself constitute an offer.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
You're thinking of a softball rule change for this year. In baseball the batter must make an attempt by moving the bat. Simply holding the bat over the plate does is not an attempt.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That's the rule, but it's not "new."
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's the rule, but it's not "new."

I think it's new in FED softball this year - it's been around awhile in other SB rules.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Not a new rule at all. I use this rule to protect a baserunner stealing during critical points of the game. Get deep in the box, crowd the plate, square, position the bat at the catchers eye level and don't move an inch no matter where the ball goes. Works very well.

I have to say 99.9999% of the time the HPU calls it a strike even if the pitch is clearly a ball (I know "offering" is irrelevant if the pitch was within the strike zone). I gave up arguing the rule and just look at as an exchange: a strike for a safe advance of a runner.

Any suggestions on how I can take a proactive approach to letting the umpires know this technique we utilize and to pay close attension to the "offering" portion of the rule? I had an umpire get offended when I said something prior to a game about this technique and this rule so.......
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 05:08pm
Stop staring at me swan.

personally, I wouldn't bring it up to an umpire during a pregame. if you're really passionate about your point...talk to your local assigner about making it a point of emphasis at one of their clinics or something...I would predict that you'll continue to get a bit of attitude from umps if you bring it up to them as if you know a rule and they don't...of course it's not true of all umpires...just don't be surprised at receiving that type of reaction
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of bunts.

I was at a clinic at the beginning of the season. We were told do not let the batter wave the bat up and down in front of the catcher when attempting to bunt. It's a don't do that! A safety issue because the catcher may not see the ball coming. I have only seen little guys ever do this. Anybody else ever heard of this or has told a batter not to do that?

Last edited by Forest Ump; Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 01:18am.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmdref View Post
Not a new rule at all. I use this rule to protect a baserunner stealing during critical points of the game. Get deep in the box, crowd the plate, square, position the bat at the catchers eye level and don't move an inch no matter where the ball goes. Works very well.

I have to say 99.9999% of the time the HPU calls it a strike even if the pitch is clearly a ball (I know "offering" is irrelevant if the pitch was within the strike zone). I gave up arguing the rule and just look at as an exchange: a strike for a safe advance of a runner.

Any suggestions on how I can take a proactive approach to letting the umpires know this technique we utilize and to pay close attension to the "offering" portion of the rule? I had an umpire get offended when I said something prior to a game about this technique and this rule so.......
My suggestion, don't suggest anything. We get all the strikes and outs we can and that's one time if it's even close its a strike. That's what the coach wanted and that's what he going to get.

Kind of like a catcher who moves out of the box on the outside corner. He wants a ball, he gets one.

Haven't heard a coach utter a word of complaint either.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
Speaking of bunts.

I was at a two day clinic at the beginning of the season. We were told do not let the batter wave the bat up and down in front of the catcher when attempting to bunt. It's a don't do that! A safety issue because the catcher may not see the ball coming. Anybody else ever heard of this or has told a batter not to do that?
I read a thread among some LL umpires discussing it, but outside of that, no, I don't know anyone who would do this.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
I read a thread among some LL umpires discussing it, but outside of that, no, I don't know anyone who would do this.
Yes, I heard of a LL guy in my area not allowing this a few years back.

No, I would not say or do anything to the batter, LL game or otherwise.