Thread: Bunting?
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmdref View Post
Not a new rule at all. I use this rule to protect a baserunner stealing during critical points of the game. Get deep in the box, crowd the plate, square, position the bat at the catchers eye level and don't move an inch no matter where the ball goes. Works very well.

I have to say 99.9999% of the time the HPU calls it a strike even if the pitch is clearly a ball (I know "offering" is irrelevant if the pitch was within the strike zone). I gave up arguing the rule and just look at as an exchange: a strike for a safe advance of a runner.

Any suggestions on how I can take a proactive approach to letting the umpires know this technique we utilize and to pay close attension to the "offering" portion of the rule? I had an umpire get offended when I said something prior to a game about this technique and this rule so.......
My suggestion, don't suggest anything. We get all the strikes and outs we can and that's one time if it's even close its a strike. That's what the coach wanted and that's what he going to get.

Kind of like a catcher who moves out of the box on the outside corner. He wants a ball, he gets one.

Haven't heard a coach utter a word of complaint either.

Thanks
David