The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

Why do people try to cover for nothing more than an error?

It is basic:

Quote:
"Whether you consider it a "visit" or not is irrelevant. A manager/coach cannot make a second trip to the same pitcher while the same batter is at bat. Period. Furthermore, the manager/coach cannot try to circumvent this by just changing his pitcher, even if he does so from the dugout. The at-bat must be completed before the already-visited pitcher can be removed (absent injury or substitute).

"The crew working this game didn't disagree; they simply f---ed up."
I am amazed people know little about basic rules.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Amen, Tim! Sometimes I think I'm talking to a wall. This rule is not that difficult to comprehend.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

My understanding is he threw 10 straight balls that weren't even close. I bet the manager came out and told the crew "Something is wrong with my pitcher but he won't tell me. Can I take him out now so it won't get worse?"

Considering the crew talked a bit about it before letting the trip happen there had to be some discussion about an injury, and is any MLB umpire going to stop a manager when there is even a small hint of an injury. They are umpires not doctors or trainers.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger49 View Post
My understanding is he threw 10 straight balls that weren't even close. I bet the manager came out and told the crew "Something is wrong with my pitcher but he won't tell me. Can I take him out now so it won't get worse?"

Considering the crew talked a bit about it before letting the trip happen there had to be some discussion about an injury, and is any MLB umpire going to stop a manager when there is even a small hint of an injury. They are umpires not doctors or trainers.
I didn't see the team doctor or trainer come out. I'd think if the coach was going to claim an injury, he'd have the team doc come out with him.

Just my opinion.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 05:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike View Post
So your implying the rule reads:

"No pitcher may be substituted after one visit if the same batters at bat."

I and apparently the crew working the OP disagree.

The rule means you can't go out and "visit".

If C is yanking him, I wouldn't consider that a visit.
You are wrong and so was the crew. They do screw up in the big leagues from time to time.

Absent an injury or a substitute for the batter, F1 must finish the at bat or complete the inning, whichever comes first.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

In addition, if it would have been an injury, the PU should have accompanied the Padres manager to the mound to ensure it was, in fact, an injury.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
It's because they stick all of the stuff they pull out into the DH section. It's huge enough that they think no one will notice.

:
yea those 4 pages make a big difference, the NCAA rule book is great, and does not need to change.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Well usually after four pages of threads, someone has found out why they screwed this up. (and they did) Any inside info here.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

OK, so all the conversation about the 2nd visit during the same batter has been related to OBR. What about FED? Actually had this sitch this weekend in a V game. Pitcher threw 2 balls way outside and Skip asks for Time for a conference (#2 of the game), granted. Next pitch sails over the catcher's head and Skip comes out of the dugout again but before reaching the foul line, looks at me and says "oh, wait, that's right. I can't go out until the next batter can I." Turns around and goes back in the dugout without waiting for an answer.

I know that is true for OBR, but what about FED? I couldn't find anything stating that you couldn't go out multiple times during the same batter as long as you complied with the substitution rules and number of charged conferences.

So FED allows multiple trips during the same at bat?
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 02:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
OK, so all the conversation about the 2nd visit during the same batter has been related to OBR. What about FED? Actually had this sitch this weekend in a V game. Pitcher threw 2 balls way outside and Skip asks for Time for a conference (#2 of the game), granted. Next pitch sails over the catcher's head and Skip comes out of the dugout again but before reaching the foul line, looks at me and says "oh, wait, that's right. I can't go out until the next batter can I." Turns around and goes back in the dugout without waiting for an answer.

I know that is true for OBR, but what about FED? I couldn't find anything stating that you couldn't go out multiple times during the same batter as long as you complied with the substitution rules and number of charged conferences.

You can use all 3 of the free conferences during the same at-bat if you want to. I would have reminded the coach of that when he made the incorrect statement.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

FYI, both NCAA and OBR are the same as far as trips in the same inning. They differ in the free trips per game number. NCAA has a limit; OBR does not.