The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

OBR Rule 8.06 - Visits to the Pitcher Between Innings

I researched some old posts to clarify whether a visit to the pitcher between innings to observe warmups counts towards a Legal visit. I saw this comment below..

"A manager/coach may go with his pitcher to the mound between innings (to watch the warm up throws) providing he does not delay the game." This was interpreted as NOT a legal visit. I spoke with another umpire and he stated that it DOES count as a visit. Rule 8.06 does not state when a visit starts just when it ends, "leaving the 18ft circle area of the mound". I would appreciate clarification on this issue of legal visit between innings.
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
I researched some old posts to clarify whether a visit to the pitcher between innings to observe warmups counts towards a Legal visit. I saw this comment below..

"A manager/coach may go with his pitcher to the mound between innings (to watch the warm up throws) providing he does not delay the game." This was interpreted as NOT a legal visit. I spoke with another umpire and he stated that it DOES count as a visit. Rule 8.06 does not state when a visit starts just when it ends, "leaving the 18ft circle area of the mound". I would appreciate clarification on this issue of legal visit between innings.
"Another Umpire" has bought into one of the myths. Ignore him (at least on this issue).
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 02:31pm
Stop staring at me swan.

the rule sets are pretty clear on when a trip ends.
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
the rule sets are pretty clear on when a trip ends.
Which has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 05:45pm
Stop staring at me swan.

it has everything to do with it...what's the point of the OP if I'm missing it?
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Is a "visit" between innings (during warm ups) considered a charged defensive conference or not?

At least that's what I read.
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

My partner and I had this a couple of weeks ago. Visitor's HC had went from the 3B coaches box to the dugout at the end of the inning, then came back out during the warmup pitches (I believe it was after the 4th pitch) to talk to his pitcher. They pitcher definitely stopped his warmups to talk to his coach, then continued on and threw his final pitch before we started the inning. Should this have been a charged conference in Fed or not?
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The question was whether or not a "between inning" conference is charged as a visit or not.
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 11:39pm
Stop staring at me swan.

okay, so I'll restate my post...I think the rule sets state pretty clearly what is and is not a trip.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
okay, so I'll restate my post...I think the rule sets state pretty clearly what is and is not a trip.
Well???

The man's asking for help. Can you elaborate on these rules for him? What rule says whether or not the discussion at the mound during warm ups should be charged?
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

See BRD item 145. In FED a case play covers this, 3.4.1H. In OBR a 1985 interpretation agrees with FED, as long as the meeting between coach and pitcher between innings does not delay the game. And per this interp a warning should be assessed once per game before charging a conference for delay.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 09:40pm
Stop staring at me swan.

if it looks like it's turning into a problem by delaying the game, i would tell the coach that if he's delaying the game, I'm going to have to charge him a trip...that will probably clear it up...if not, coach is prepared to be charged a trip...don't go looking for trouble here
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post

Ask yourself this question: "Did I have to stop play (call TIME) to allow the manager or coach to go to the mound?". If tha answer is "No" (and between innings, that should be the answer), then there is no trip charged.

On the question of delaying, If the pitcher is warming with the coach on the mound, then there is no trip charged. If the pitcher stops warming and is talking to the coach, then you need to go to the mound as this may be a consultation due to injury and there may be a substitution. If the two are not consulting about an injury, then the pitcher is done, the manager needs to leave the mound or, you charge a trip! Here's how the conversation should go when you approach the mound in this situation.

"What's the problem Hank? Is your pitcher injured?"
"No Mario, he's fine."
"Okay Hank, but your pitcher stopped warming so you need to leave now, warm-ups are finished and we have to get underway. If you want to stay, I have to charge a trip and I don't think you want to waste one like this."
You then jog back to home plate and put on the mask. If the manager is still there, off comes the mask and he gets a trip charged. If he argues, he gets the hook.

Now in all my years, I have never hooked a manager in this instance and to my recolection, I think I only charged 3 mangers with trips.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Review

In summary - there is nothing specific in the rules referring to a coach/manager making a visit to the mound between innings counting towards an offical visit. The intent of the rule is to avoid delay to the game. So, if a coach in just warming with the pitcher and not delaying the game then it is not considered an official visit. If the coach is conferring with the pitcher and is presumed to be delaying the game, I should provide a warning to the coach, "coach can't go there unless you want a charged visit.", and keep the game rolling. Correct and Thanks for everyone's input.