The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
"Minnesota’s Denard Span was ejected by plate umpire Brian Gorman for arguing after taking a called third strike to end the game"

K-Rod gets 50th save, Angels beat Twins - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
Again, as a friend of mine who works as an MLB Umpire reiterated to me: "Randy, there is no post-game ejection in Major League Baseball, notwithstanding the opinions of some on that forum to which you alluded."

Now, what Gorman did was probably construed as a "post-game ejection," but according to what I was told, no such animal exists in pro ball.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
and as someone else here pointed out, post-game ejections can happen in the mlb.
And as some else pointed out, no they can't. I think people are confusing post-game discipline handed out by the league based on an umpire's report or something similar with the NCAA's rules on post-game ejections.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Wow!

I am being grouped with Tim C., San Diego Steve, Ozzy, Brian Curtin, RichMSN, MrUmpire, and Bob Jenkins?

That's quite a compliment. I never thought I would have earned such an honor at this point in my career!

Back to the topic: So the PU handled it poorly? What would you have liked? Toss him after the game (contrary to OBR) for throwing something (also not a rule)? Maybe then he should have told Lou, "game's over, I'm not listening to you, and your catcher is ejected."

Perhaps the catcher saw the safe sign, was ticked that his team lost, and slammed the ball because he was frustrated.

Last edited by SethPDX; Sun Apr 12, 2009 at 02:23pm.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I said MLB.

Your rule reference, please.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Your rule reference, please.
MLBUM 2.19: Throwing equipment in protest of call
Any player throwing equipment in disgust of an umpire's call shall be reported and subject to fine, and if flagrant, to ejection. The offender is to be notified that he is being reported for an equipment violation.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Your refutation of his rule reference, please.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing in the rule states it is an automatic ejection, and it even states that the act must be done in disgust of an umpires call and it must be flagrant to be an ejection.... I would hope you would not base the throwing of the ball as your sole proof of either of these stipulations. Even at the collegiate level I would not right paper on this unless he added something like "I honestly think you blew that call Mr. Umpire", and then bounced the ball up my skirt......
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Your refutation of his rule reference, please.
I'm not refuting the MBUM, I'm refuting cc6. If you read carefully you will see that his original claim was :

"Also, thrown equipment is an automatic ejection in the mlb."

Now then, if yuu read the MLBUM, you'll find:

"MLBUM 2.19: Throwing equipment in protest of call,

"Any player throwing equipment in disgust of an umpire's call shall be reported and subject to fine, and if flagrant, to ejection."

There is nothing AUTOMATIC about an ejection. The umpire must interpret the action and apply his judgement on an individual basis.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
MLBUM 2.19: Throwing equipment in protest of call
Any player throwing equipment in disgust of an umpire's call shall be reported and subject to fine, and if flagrant, to ejection. The offender is to be notified that he is being reported for an equipment violation.

cc6:

You are a college student. Surely you understand the difference between "automatic" and "if flagrant." One requires judgement, the other does not.

An ejection for thrown equipment is not automatic.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Since when is the game ball "equipment"?

Thank you, Happy Easter, and good night Gracie.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Since when is the game ball "equipment"?
I have been wondering the same thing.

But really, would anyone eject a catcher for throwing the ball to the ground, or any fielder for throwing his glove or hat to the ground after a game ending play in which they lost on that play, at any level?

I suppose these same people, if they exist, would eject a batter for pounding the end of his bat in the ground after striking out swinging at a bad pitch, or would eject a pitcher for throwing his glove into the dugout while he is walking into the dugout after being relieved after giving up a game changing home run.

I think the umpire in the video handled everything exactly as I hope I would given the same circumstances.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

cc6:

If a baseball were considered equipment and throwing of equipment were an automatic ejection, how on earth would the umpires be able to write all the ejection reports for those hapless pitchers, fielders and catchers who threw that piece of "equipment"?

Please, use some common sense.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
cc6:

If a baseball were considered equipment and throwing of equipment were an automatic ejection, how on earth would the umpires be able to write all the ejection reports for those hapless pitchers, fielders and catchers who threw that piece of "equipment"?

Please, use some common sense.
Wait a minute! We may be onto something here...just think of how short the games would be if we did use his interpretation!
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I was wrong in saying that thrown equipment is an automatic ejection. I meant that thrown equipment to show up an umpire is an automatic ejection. I must have just not been thinking- it's the long weekend. My gaff, my mistake. Sorry for the uproar I caused.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 10:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

As someone who watches the Brewers (I have a partial-season plan at Miller Park) I didn't even consider ejection/discipline/anything else. It was the end of a game. These are competitors.

I wouldn't even consider it in a HS game. I don't go around looking for garbage.