The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Liability Insurance - NASO

Thru my current association I am covered for liability assoication but any games outside the association I am not covered. I was asked to do two games last week outside my assoication and I requested info on liability covereage and the assignor stated I need to have my own. I asked a friend of mine how does he cover himself outside of the association and he stated he belongs to NASO and that I should do the same. Visited their website and for $97 you can get pretty good coverage. My question is does anyone else have other coverage outside their association and if so do you recommend NASO. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Try ABUA-Umpire.org

$45 per year. Comparable in coverage but less top dollar limit.

MidMoUmp has a blog that compares the two.

Sort of an Apples vs Oranges thing as they both have more than just insurance for the money.

EDIT: I went ahead and copied info from MidMoUmp's blogspot. He also compares ASA and NFHS insurance. His final statement on the blog is; "Clear as Mud?"

NASO Insurance
Cost: $94.00 annually included in membership fee
General Liability: $3,000,000 per occurrence with a $4,000,000 aggregate
Errors and Omissions: $50,000 per occurrence (as an umpire or assigner)
Heart or Circulatory Malfunction Death Benefit: $5,000
Assault Protection: up to $3,000 in attorney fees on a 60/40 basis (you pay the 40% until the plan has paid out $3,000).
Game-fee-replacement insurance: up to $100 for each game lost within 21 days after the injury up to $500 total.
Accident medical plan: None
For an additional fee NASO provides Optional Game Fee Loss Insurance for injuries not related to assault. This plan pays up to $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the plan selected.Covers all sports official activities

ABUA Insurance
Cost: $45.00 annually included in membership fee
General liability: $1,000,000 limit
Errors and Omissions: None
Heart and Circulatory Malfunction Death Benefit: None
Assault Protection: None
Accident medical plan: $100,000
Game-fee-replacement insurance: $2,000 maximum benefit
Covers while working any level of amateur baseball AND softball
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.

Last edited by MajorDave; Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 02:08pm. Reason: Add Info from MidMo Ump Blog.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

The difference- NASO will cover you for ALL sports while ABUA covers you only for baseball.

I have NASO and currently only do baseball and I'm very happy with it. I also like getting Referee mag every month with it as well.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

NASO's coverage is somewhat better, and aside from the magazine (not that great), you get a discount card for all Marriott hotels.

Next month I will use that card for the third time and it will save me another $400.00. That means that card will have saved me roughly $1000.00 in hotel costs in one year, which is a little over 10 times what I paid for my NASO membership.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Thank you!

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate the extra research you did.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
NASO's coverage is somewhat better, and aside from the magazine (not that great), you get a discount card for all Marriott hotels.

Next month I will use that card for the third time and it will save me another $400.00. That means that card will have saved me roughly $1000.00 in hotel costs in one year, which is a little over 10 times what I paid for my NASO membership.
Can you use that card even if you not in town for an officiating event? Do you get the discount every time?