The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

General Liability Insurance Protection

I have liability insurance when I referee a game that has been assigned or sub-assigned by my board. I also referee dozens of parks & rec and travel games that are assigned by others (towns mostly). I need insurance while I referee.

I have always have been a member of National Association of Sports Officials (NASO) but my membership recently expired. For about $79/year I can get :
"Provides up to $3 million per occurrence, with an overall policy aggregate of $4 million for claims for bodily injury, property damage and personal injury, sporting activities that are organized by recognized sports organizations, leagues and associations and while assigning, attending seminars, conferences, camps, clinics and similar meetings. Each individual NASO member has a $2 million aggregate subject to a total NASO policy aggregate of $50 million." There are more benefits. I am not trying to sell NASO memberships.

Are there any other reasonable officiating liabilty insurance options for this price or cheaper?

Last edited by RefLarry; Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 09:33am.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 09:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

K and K Insurance Through IAABO ...

We get K and K Insurance through local, state, and international IAABO. It only covers us for our IAABO commissioner assigned games, meetings, travel, etc., not for the recreation games, and the CYO games, that many of us do. It's only $11.00 per year.

http://www.kandkinsurance.com/
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 10:33am.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 09:35pm
Official & Member

Anyone know of a company that will write a policy for an individual official as opposed to an entire association or local board?
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefLarry View Post
I have liability insurance when I referee a game that has been assigned or sub-assigned by my board. I also referee dozens of parks & rec and travel games that are assigned by others (towns mostly). I need insurance while I referee.

I have always have been a member of National Association of Sports Officials (NASO) but my membership recently expired. For about $79/year I can get :
"Provides up to $3 million per occurrence, with an overall policy aggregate of $4 million for claims for bodily injury, property damage and personal injury, sporting activities that are organized by recognized sports organizations, leagues and associations and while assigning, attending seminars, conferences, camps, clinics and similar meetings. Each individual NASO member has a $2 million aggregate subject to a total NASO policy aggregate of $50 million." There are more benefits. I am not trying to sell NASO memberships.

Is there any other reasonable officiating liabilty insurance options for this price or cheaper?
The National Federation of High School Associations has insurance as well. I think its thru some comapnay called Bollinger or something. You need to belong but if your state belongs you already do too - not sure of the details.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

K&K has an individual plan for an Intercollegiate Basketball Official, but not for Amateur or Interscholastic.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Officials Association

Bollinger NFHS insurance info link above. I'm calling them soon. Might cost $30/year for an individual to join NFHS (and get included insurance benefits).
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Guess That There's No Such Thing As A Free Lunch ...

Quote:
I'm calling them soon. Might cost $30/year for an individual to join NFHS (and get included insurance benefits).
Would $30.00 also get me access to online rules, and casebook plays.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are there any other reasonable officiating liabilty insurance options for this price or cheaper?
You forgot the subscription to Ref Mag!!
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by RefLarry

You forgot the subscription to Ref Mag!!