The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Question

Anyone a part of NASO? Just wanted to ask about their benefits and insurance plan here, just to get a scratchwork of what to discuss before I sign up. Please let me know of your impressions, benefits, quandries, etc. with this organization. Thanks!
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
Anyone a part of NASO? Just wanted to ask about their benefits and insurance plan here, just to get a scratchwork of what to discuss before I sign up. Please let me know of your impressions, benefits, quandries, etc. with this organization. Thanks!
You get a decent magazine and some insurance for the fee, not all that bad IMO.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

I gave them up a few years ago.

I found out that the NF has liability insurance. All the games I work are covered by my membership in the NF.

I tought they were complete jerks in suing this site over the name that it used to go by, eReferee.com. From the documents I read, they seemed to think they had a copyright/trademark (???) on the word "Referee" and any form of it.

The content of the magazine was not that compelling. I really didn't care to have 6-8 months of a magazine about how to call deep fly balls or offsides. Often, you could tell that the atricle was not written by an official up-to-date in high school sports...even when the topic was NFHS games. For a multisport official, it could be more interesting.

I did enjoy a few of the Bios and some of the Psychology articles. But as far as reffing goes, I've learned just as much, even more, from reading and activily participating in this forum.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

I'm not revewing my membership. Thy keep raising the cost and now if I remember correctly they want upwards of $40 just for the magazine and $80+ for NASO membership. I do like their books though.

Mregor
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I am a member of NASO and have been for a very long time,
The benefits are worth it to me and as I am a multi-sport offiieial, the magazine is definately a great tool.
The insurance thing is great becuas as the old adage goes, you can never have too much insurance.
So, for me in HS softball at least, I hvae National Federation, ASA, and NASO insurance.
I hope I don't ever need it but if I do, it is there.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Red face

I can ref and umpire but I can't spell,
At least today I can't

Jeez, what is it with this keyboard......
Somebody moved some of the keys around.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I am also a NASO member, mainly for the insurance but I like the mag (especially in my other office).

If you are officiating multiple sports, rec leagues, high school, summer ball, etc... get some insurance. If you are not covered by a specific organization, then a plan like NASO's or other organizations is a neccessity.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
I'm not revewing my membership. Thy keep raising the cost and now if I remember correctly they want upwards of $40 just for the magazine and $80+ for NASO membership. I do like their books though.
The cost has gone up because of the insurance that you get with it. Even the NFHS membership, which Camron mentions, has gone up. A couple of years ago, it was $12 a year. Now it's $30. Also, Fee loss, Catastrophic Medical and Cardiac/Circlatory Death Benefit Coverages are no longer included in the insurance package. Our state association has had to go up on insurance as well.

Like Camron, I'm not a fan of REFEREE "I hope they don't sue me for typing that" magazine. I did enjoy parts of the magazine but they ARE NOT God's gift to officiating, which they seem to think they are. But I understand why these organizations are having to raise their fees. Unfortunatley, it's the world in which we live.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 10th, 2003 at 03:02 PM]
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I work enough rec ball, that I want the insurance. I agree with the various opinions about the articles in Referee mag. Some are worthwhile (I mean they did one on me, after all!), a lot aren't. I think they do a better job with their case plays than the NFHS, though. And I like the lists of who's working which leagues at the higher levels. I wish they wouldn't send so many renewal notices, though. It gets annoying.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Referee Magazine is pretty good, although lately I've noticed a lot of reprints of articles from a few years ago. The big benefit of NASO is the liability insurance, which is important to me when I work games that aren't sanctioned by my state association.

Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I wish they wouldn't send so many renewal notices, though. It gets annoying.
Juules, I once sent in one of those cards that allows you to receive a trial issue. When I didn't subscribe, they sent me nasty letters for months, saying that I lacked integrity and such BS as that.

Also, they were giving an introductory subscription for like $24.95 but then hit you with $40 when it's time to renew.

I have a very low opinion of REFEREE (oops! I used that word again!)

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
The big benefit of NASO is the liability insurance, which is important to me when I work games that aren't sanctioned by my state association.
Stan, you might consider the NFHS membership. It also protects you when doing events that aren't necessarily sanctioned by your state association.

"Coverage is not limited to high school activities. It also applies to officiating activities for independent youth or recreational leagues, junior college and college events but only for sports that are recognized for high school participation by that state’s high school association."

http://www.nfhs.org/InsSummary/oainsurance03.htm

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 10th, 2003 at 03:38 PM]
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Even the NFHS membership, which Camron mentions, has gone up. ... Also, Fee loss, Catastrophic Medical and Cardiac/Circlatory Death Benefit Coverages are no longer included in the insurance package.
While these might have sounded good, the primary purpose of the insurance is liability.

If any one is really impacted by the loss of even a most of a season's worth of game fees then they have bigger financial problems that having the insurance is not going to fix and over the course of a few years, they would have been better off not paying the insurance and pocketing the money.

We should all have other medical coverage that would cover the other areas. The liklihood of one of them happening during a game, while possible, is not probable relative to all the other hours of the day and other activities we probably engage ourselves in.

Like all insurance (and extended warranties are also just another form of insurance), the insurance company is going to take in more than they pay out. They have to pay the employees, their utilities, rent, etc. and then payout the claims. They have the inside knowledge and all the data. You don't. They know how likely any event is. You're essentially making a bet that you will have a problem that requires the insurance while they're betting you won't...and they have the inside info. The only reason to have insurance is to cover for unusual situations that will completely devastate you.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 04:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Juules, I once sent in one of those cards that allows you to receive a trail issue.
Do they have issues for lead and center, too?
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

Even the NFHS membership, which Camron mentions, has gone up. ... Also, Fee loss, Catastrophic Medical and Cardiac/Circlatory Death Benefit Coverages are no longer included in the insurance package.
While these might have sounded good, the primary purpose of the insurance is liability.

If any one is really impacted by the loss of even a most of a season's worth of game fees then they have bigger financial problems that having the insurance is not going to fix and over the course of a few years, they would have been better off not paying the insurance and pocketing the money.

We should all have other medical coverage that would cover the other areas. The liklihood of one of them happening during a game, while possible, is not probable relative to all the other hours of the day and other activities we probably engage ourselves in.

Like all insurance (and extended warranties are also just another form of insurance), the insurance company is going to take in more than they pay out. They have to pay the employees, their utilities, rent, etc. and then payout the claims. They have the inside knowledge and all the data. You don't. They know how likely any event is. You're essentially making a bet that you will have a problem that requires the insurance while they're betting you won't...and they have the inside info. The only reason to have insurance is to cover for unusual situations that will completely devastate you.
Simply pointing out that the cost of the insurance has gone up and these types of coverages have been dropped to prevent premiums from being even higher.