The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
The inside 1/3 of the plate is part of the plate. Call one 2-3 inches inside, off the plate, while he is jumping out of the way and maybe he will get the message. Call one on the corner when he gets hit by it and by golly....
Agreed...

This guy is probably the ninth hitter on a bad team anyways...
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
... Unless he gets drilled by the pitch, in which case he will probably be in the strike zone and gets to stay at the plate (they hate when you do that to them).
I had my first unsportsmanlike ejection of a H.S. player ever yesterday based on that very thing. It wasn't a strike, but he got nicked and I kept him. I don't think I've done that more than five or six times ever. But the kid caused the ball to hit him. He argued, I told him to get in the batter's box and don't say another word. After a brief argument with his coach, I stepped back behind the dish and the little wise-a** turned and looked back and said, "I guess everything's going to be a strike no matter where it is." I didn't even talk to him again. I took my mask off and walked down the line, took out my lineup card and pencil and asked the head coach which batter he's going to be putting in to assume No. 8's 2-2 count because he's out of the ballgame. The wise-a** even dropped some bombs on the way out (making his suspension longer).

He was such a little a-hole that his catcher came out for the bottom of the inning and said that watching that kid get tossed was his team's favorite event of the season. Apparently, I tossed the right guy--someone his team is glad to see suspended.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
Interesting comment in the MLBUM, but the NCAA has a different take:
As, I believe, do most amateur codes.

But if I ever worK a Major League game, now I'll know how to call this!
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

I have been looking through my NFHS rule book, concerning a rule about a batters foot position, while in the box and waiting for a pitch. Is any portion of his feet allowed to be out of the box?

surely there must be something, or the batter could stand anywhere he wanted to.

Is there any rule pertaining to this? I don't do above high school, so let's keep college rules out of it.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
I have been looking through my NFHS rule book, concerning a rule about a batters foot position, while in the box and waiting for a pitch. Is any portion of his feet allowed to be out of the box?

surely there must be something, or the batter could stand anywhere he wanted to.

Is there any rule pertaining to this? I don't do above high school, so let's keep college rules out of it.
When "waiting for a pitch", the batter's feet must be entirely in the box (no portion may extend beyond a line). See 7-1-1 and 2-7-2.

When "hitting a pitch" it's illegal only if the entire foot is beyon the line (or, in FED or NCAAA touching the plate).
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
When "waiting for a pitch", the batter's feet must be entirely in the box (no portion may extend beyond a line). See 7-1-1 and 2-7-2.

When "hitting a pitch" it's illegal only if the entire foot is beyon the line (or, in FED or NCAAA touching the plate).
bob,

I see where in 7-1-1 it says "within the batters box", but their isn't anything listing a penalty for the infraction. What would be the proper method to handle an infraction???

i would assume a warning, followed by "Out"
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

beachbum,

There is no "out" to be had for this.

Simply instruct the batter to assume a legal position.

If he does it again, instruct him again. Repeat as necessary.

If he gives you any attitude about it, dump him.

Some might suggest a "directed strike", but that's not really what that rule is for.

JM
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
bob,

I see where in 7-1-1 it says "within the batters box", but their isn't anything listing a penalty for the infraction.
Right. It's a "don't do that."

What do you do if there's more than one on-deck batter? What do you do if someone is out of the dugout? What do you do if a pinch runner attempts to enter the game without a helmet? ...

Direct the participants to comply and deal with it if they refuse.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

THANKS GUYS,

I GOT THIS DOWN, but it will probably not happen again