LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

2009 MLB Umpire Crews

Baseball Umpire Schools
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to make guesses here:

1. The number before the umpire name is their shirt number.
2. The first (and bolded) name is the Crew Chief
3. The number in parentheses next to Crew Chief names are the year they became CC.
4. The number after the umpire name is number of years in MLB.

Did I pass?
Old Sun Apr 05, 2009, 12:29am
M.A.S.H.

No, because there wasn't a test.

However, you are correct on your guesses.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Noticed in the Cubs game there are guys from three different crews and Todd Tichenor who seems to be a AAA guy that is a regular fill in. Kerwin Danley is the crew chief which is a promotion for him. Was there a big shake up in crews or is this normal?

Someone go ahead and post the jocksniffer picture.

Last edited by biggravy; Sat Sep 19, 2009 at 05:00pm.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

A little late to the game with the crew stuff hoss. However if you click on schools in the upper left, you will find the 2 schools to choose from if you want to try and pursue umpiring professionally, and 1 school if you would like to pursue eventually working in the ACC as an amateur.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
A little late to the game with the crew stuff hoss. However if you click on schools in the upper left, you will find the 2 schools to choose from if you want to try and pursue umpiring professionally, and 1 school if you would like to pursue eventually working in the ACC as an amateur.
You may call me a sniffer, if you'd like, but I enjoy treating the underpaid young men who umpire MiLB to dinner and drinks from time to time. I am fortunate to be in an area in which I can see Single A, Double A and Triple umpires work, grow and succeed.

Anyway, the point of my post: During one of my last outings with a Triple A crew I was told that they may be some major moves in MLB and all levels of MiLB umpiring that would filter down and result in PBUC needing many young new umpires next spring.

For those who have been considering taking the opportunity to see if they have what it takes, this may be the best year to attend proschool for many years to come.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
You may call me a sniffer, if you'd like, but I enjoy treating the underpaid young men who umpire MiLB to dinner and drinks from time to time. I am fortunate to be in an area in which I can see Single A, Double A and Triple umpires work, grow and succeed.
Anyway, the point of my post: During one of my last outings with a Triple A crew I was told that they may be some major moves in MLB and all levels of MiLB umpiring that would filter down and result in PBUC needing many young new umpires next spring.
For those who have been considering taking the opportunity to see if they have what it takes, this may be the best year to attend proschool for many years to come.
Whoa MrUmpire=go back to the original poster edman42 and the OP. It gave a link to the MLBU crews for 2009. I did not even see a post by you prior to my post #6.
I applaud your help and understanding of the MiLBU plight and your continued support with a home cooked meal which I am sure is greatly appreciated. Tim_C alluded to few openings in a post this year (2009) for MiLB. I am giving the answer I gave in which I speculated the year 2010 might be good to go.

"Yes, it is probably a rough year to try for a job due to the World Baseball Classic. They are probably going to need the entire AAA staff working MLB Spring Training while the regular staff works the Classic. That would leave very few AAA guys to man the minor league Spring Training camps. That would explain (just guessing) the few releases this year. So, maybe next year would be a good year to go. The above is just pure speculation."

We are on the same page with this. MLBU might run into the same contract problems that the NBA is having concerning a retirement package since they are represented by the same attorney, and both the NBA refs and MLBU seem to have had some of the same problems over the same issues over the years. Nobody took the one in the last contract for 2005. No retirement package (or special package for some as someone else alluded to if my memory serves me right on this board) probably=no retirements from the senior guys unless health problems knock them out. Some of the AAA guys that were kept for the World Classic could probably be released this year and this might filter on down. However, they may need AAA guys to stay at least one more year in case there is a strike like the NBA is apparently going to have. But if a retirement package is worked out and their is no strike, they could release more in MiLB this year as you said. Of course they usually release MiLB around WS time and the new contract probably will not be done by then. Seems like this year and next could possibly be a lot of openings. Once again, just speculating from reading, but you have more inside knowledge. Lets see what happens.

Last edited by tballump; Sat Sep 19, 2009 at 11:48pm.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 12:56am

Quote:
I don't think anyone would consider this noble endeavor to be jock sniffing.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then I'm a jock sniffer too. I love watching the PCL guys work and would jump at the chance to meet some of them. When I see them in MLB games I say to myself, "I've seen him work," like I do when I see players I've seen play.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Underpaid? How do you figure? They are paid what the market will bear.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Oh boy. Here we go again.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

A discussion a lot of people are interested in...then...GASP...people will post posts! Oh, the humanity!
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Riiiiight. Because paying MiLB umpires more money would take up SO much of the hundreds of millions of dollars made in profit by MLB and its owners.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp View Post
Riiiiight. Because paying MiLB umpires more money would take up SO much of the hundreds of millions of dollars made in profit by MLB and its owners.
That is a strawman wrapped in a red herring.

Paying MILB umpires more money makes no sense for the owners because they don't have to pay them more money. People are willing to work for what they are paying.
The owners have no need or desire to give them more money. Business owners want to have less expenses, not more.

This is simple economics.

they pay left handed relievers a lot of money and some people say they are "overpaid". They need pitchers to get outs so they can win games so they can sell more tickets and beer and hats and tee shirts.

"Underpaid" would be if their paycheck did not match their contract.

Last edited by jwwashburn; Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 09:32pm.