The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Cece Carlucci made each and everyone of his chest protectors to the precise measurements of the buyer. A second hand Carlucci may not provide the best protection if it is illfitting. As far as other protectors looking bulky, just buy the next size shirt.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Carlucci's are nice. I have held one before. As far as ordering another size up shirt... it still falls via gravity on my shoulders and the gold and platinum makes me look to big.

Again... anyone have one they are willing to sell or know of someone?
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 05:26pm

Well, I was going to suggest the V-Sport, which is exactly the same construction and quality of the All-American, except I can't find those anymore. I got mine from Lester's a few years back, but now they just sell a crappy looking, lesser-rated, soft covered V-Sport model. I can't find the hard shell one, which stopped freight trains. I would have sold you mine, but BigUmp56 snapped it up right away.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Well, I was going to suggest the V-Sport, which is exactly the same construction and quality of the All-American, except I can't find those anymore. I got mine from Lester's a few years back, but now they just sell a crappy looking, lesser-rated, soft covered V-Sport model. I can't find the hard shell one, which stopped freight trains. I would have sold you mine, but BigUmp56 snapped it up right away.
Agree. My CP is a V-Sport. Best $80 I ever spent in equipment. The All American and the Champion certainly appear to be similar constructed. I think it will last till I quit umpiring so I am not looking for another.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have a picture of this v-Sport?
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 04:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz17 View Post
Here is a pdf of Lester's 2007 Catalog. On the first page is the V-Sport. Zoom in a few clicks for a really good look at it. It is item # BA813, which is no longer available in their new catalog. It pretty much looks just like the All-American, which by strange coincedence is also unavailable suddenly.

http://www.lestersupstatesports.com/...007Catalog.pdf
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

my .02

sounds as if someone infringed on a patent.........and the remedy was to pull them from the market?
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

On another note, why was the uniforms thread locked? It looked like we were getting into some good discussion on what the generally accepted uniform standards are.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

My memeory fails me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz17 View Post
Someone here was posting pictures of their craft just a couple of months ago. It seems the little seamster would be willing to make one specifically for you. Of course you would need to contact him and he would need your specific measurements. This private party agreement would not break current law.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Mar 11, 2009 at 01:07pm.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

That was PensaUmp

Custom Sized Hand Made chest Protector (Photo Gallery)

Hey PensaUmp, how is the chest protector working for you?
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Just like choosing between Chevys, Fords, and Dodges. Since Cece has passed on to the PCL beyond, I can recommend that there is NO perfect CP for everybody. I have attended many camps from Little League to NCAA required camps for my advancement and I have seen all sorts of CP's. . I started my career 28 years ago with an off the rack Rawlings and it was fine for small ball. Once I got into HS ball, I spent the money on a Carlucci. It lasted me almost 20 years. I no longer use it as it literally fell apart. I tried the WV Gold, Platinum, All-Star, Honigs 1, etc... I am now using the Douglas 1st generation that I bought on eBay and modified the crap out of to make it work. It is my opinion that ANY of the TOL protectors can work, it's what you feel comfortable wearing.

As a side note, Cece Carlucci made the best protector EVER. It was made for you. He lost all chances of making any money on his design as he never patented it. Joe West copied his design and struck a deal with Douglas years ago. He then got upset with what Douglas was paying him for his assistance with the design of their protector and he went on to greener pastures (ie...money) with Wilson. He was instrumental in the developement of the Gold and Platinum. He no longer has any input as to the developement of their product.

As much as I feel the Carlucci is the best CP EVER made, it is in the fact that he made it to each individuals measurements that made it so great. A second hand or older generation Carlucci probably won't offer the best protection.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Kevin Finnerty, Just out of curiosity, what is your level of qualification? I only ask due to the fact that you are correct in the fact that an umpires presentation should not be first and foremost. However, you may or may not know that D1 umpires are evaluated on EVERY game they do. Not just occasionally when they request it. There may be some D1 umpires that are not of your standard but they got there somehow. Maybe let go MiLB AA or AAA guys or what ever. If you desire to move into the D1 ranks, keep working on your game and learn from your peers. Bagging on D1 guys won't help. Yes it is frustrating to watch a D1 game and see several rotation screwups as well as a blown call or two, but believe me. It was noticed by someone. The D1 crowd is the most difficult of barriers to break. It does appear to be a good ol boys group. I have done MiLB ball and have been working my way up in the college ranks. This is not my career. I am with a fire dept. and hope to peak in a year or two when I retire and pick up a D1 contract or two.

Just a note, I was told by one of my assignors to lose some weight. He told me that I can not move up due to my image. I have always been a big guy. (played OLB at Okla State, now 6' 230lbs.) I asked if I had ever missed a rotation or was out of position, he replied "no", but it doesn't look good. How's that for feeling singled out?
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstance View Post
I received a V-Sport this morning and can't begin to thank you enough for turning me on to such a terrific protector. For $75 I got all of the protection that a Gold, Platinum, K-1 or Davis could offer. I haven't had the satisfaction of ever trying a Power or a Carlucci on so I can't speak for them but this protector is the bomb. I now have a cp that I will wear every time and a protector that is really no longer available. Right time, right place.
I haven't seen a V-Sport or Champion protector in person. I wonder how they can be so cheap if they're as good as the $150 CP's?

Glad there is an affordable protector on the market that offers good protection.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 05:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
I haven't seen a V-Sport or Champion protector in person. I wonder how they can be so cheap if they're as good as the $150 CP's?

Glad there is an affordable protector on the market that offers good protection.
It's really not that they are cheap, it's that West Vests are overpriced. They should be selling for right around a hundred bucks, but some places sell them for around $200, depending on who's selling them. I've seen Platinums as low as $139 and as high as $209.

Here is the link to see a good photo of them, in case you didn't see it in the other thread:

http://championsports.com/cgi-bin/ca...method=perfect

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 05:27pm.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Just got my V-sport....I've worn an All-American before and I can hardly tell the difference. The padding is great, it covers everything it needs to, the plastic is no different than on my old Wilson Gold. With my season about to start I'm pretty excited to have gotten my hands on this. Thanks Steve for posting the info about it!