The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

End of game in Milwaukee

Did anybody see the Milwaukee walk off win yesterday in which the Cubs catcher threw the ball into the ground after the umpire called the runner safe? Why did the umpire not eject the catcher? Just because the game is over doesn't mean you can't throw him out. Why did the umpire stand on the field despite the game being over? Why did he leave through the Cub's dugout, and finally why did he accept any argument from Lou Pinella? Once the game is over there is no use hanging around the field.

Edited to add the clip: http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=mil

Last edited by cc6; Sat Apr 11, 2009 at 05:10pm.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 05:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Did anybody see the Milwaukee walk off win yesterday in which the Cubs catcher threw the ball into the ground after the umpire called the runner safe? Why did the umpire not eject the catcher? Just because the game is over doesn't mean you can't throw him out. Why did the umpire stand on the field despite the game being over? Why did he leave through the Cub's dugout, and finally why did he accept any argument from Lou Pinella? Once the game is over there is no use hanging around the field.
Hey fellas, can I take this one? Can I, can I, please????

1. The game was over and these are grown men, not children. You don't eject grown men after the game is over. And all he did was slam the ball down. So freakin' what?

2. The umpire's dressing room must most certainly be located through that particular dugout (and for no other reason).

3. Lou Pinella is a professional baseball manager, and is therefore afforded the courtesy of arguing the call of an umpire. That's how it goes. These umpires have to deal with these managers for the whole year, and year after year. It's called game management. These umpires don't mind a good argument, and they don't shy away from them.

SUMMARY: These guys are pros, and they don't go around being hotheads with quick, itchy trigger fingers. They know how to deal with pinheads like Sweet Lou.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sat Apr 11, 2009 at 05:15pm.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Steve, perhaps it's because unlike NCAA, there's no such thing as a post-game ejection in MLB. The league can decide to impose any fines for such actions if deemed necessary, especially if the umpire files a report for the heck of it; but other than that, this isn't NCAA.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Hey fellas, can I take this one? Can I, can I, please????

1. The game was over and these are grown men, not children. You don't eject grown men after the game is over. And all he did was slam the ball down. So freakin' what?

2. The umpire's dressing room must most certainly be located through that particular dugout (and for no other reason).

3. Lou Pinella is a professional baseball manager, and is therefore afforded the courtesy of arguing the call of an umpire. That's how it goes. These umpires have to deal with these managers for the whole year, and year after year. It's called game management. These umpires don't mind a good argument, and they don't shy away from them.

SUMMARY: These guys are pros, and they don't go around being hotheads with quick, itchy trigger fingers. They know how to deal with pinheads like Sweet Lou.
Good explanation, SS! Couldn't have done it better myself.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Well played, Steve. But I have a feeling that will not be the end of this thread...

[Tongue-in-cheek] I would also add we don't know why the catcher slammed the ball down. Maybe he was just mad about losing. In this case, the umpire did a fine job being sensitive to the player's need to process the negative emotions he was feeling. [/tongue-in-cheek]
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Because it was not rec league, high school or Little League. It was professional baseball managed very well.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sat Apr 11, 2009 at 10:35pm.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Did not look like an argument from Lou, I have seen Lou argue. Looked more like a discussion.

How many here would toss the catcher for this in a HS game?
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 11:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Did not look like an argument from Lou, I have seen Lou argue. Looked more like a discussion.

How many here would toss the catcher for this in a HS game?
Not me.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not me.
Me either. I don't see a big deal here. How many times have we seen defensive players throw gloves to the ground on game ending plays? How many times we seen a pitcher throw his glove into the bench when coming off the field after being relieved after giving up a game changing HR?

I walked off the field a week ago with my partner through the dugout of the visiting team who just lost a conference game due to a balk in a tie game in bottom of the 7th. It was an obvious balk and the pitcher was very mad and upset, but I saw no reason to toss him after the game was over.

Last edited by DG; Sat Apr 11, 2009 at 11:43pm.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't eject grown men after the game is over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
there's no such thing as a post-game ejection in MLB.
"Minnesota’s Denard Span was ejected by plate umpire Brian Gorman for arguing after taking a called third strike to end the game"

K-Rod gets 50th save, Angels beat Twins - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Maybe he was too busy laughing at Koyie Hill's reaction cause the play was not even close.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

For those of you that are criticizing me for bringing this up, I don't work MLB, so try to keep that in mind. I thought the plate umpire did a poor job of handling the situation, end of story. The catcher looked at him, then when he saw the safe call threw the ball. To me he threw it in frustration at the umpire, and as someone else here pointed out, post-game ejections can happen in the mlb. Also, thrown equipment is an automatic ejection in the mlb.

Last edited by cc6; Sun Apr 12, 2009 at 11:36am.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, thrown equipment is an automatic ejection in the mlb.

Really? In all MLB games, or just yours?
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Really? In all MLB games, or just yours?
I said MLB.

Last edited by cc6; Sun Apr 12, 2009 at 01:15pm.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=cc6;595490Also, thrown equipment is an automatic ejection in the mlb.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I did not know that. I guess those guys are really blowing it out there, because I see a ton on hammered helmets after bang-bangs at first.

That augerred baseball by the catcher was just general frustration. He didn't turn to the umpire and do it.